Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689737
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Info sought on the Adeptus Mechanicus  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Info sought on the Adeptus Mechanicus
« on: April 19, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
I've been mulling over an idea in the last few weeks that might actually re-ignite my interest in 40k a little. Basically, I'm thinking about building a small force around the idea of an Adeptus Mechanicus exploration party which is investigating worlds for lost technology. But I don't even know which (if any) of the Codices cover the Adeptus Mechanicus. Space Marines (any of them)? Inquisition? Imperial Guard (whatever they're calling those these days, it appears to 'Astra Miltarum')?

Anyone know any good sources for info on the Adeptus Mechnicus, Tech-priests, Explorator fleets etc?

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
Re: Info sought on the Adeptus Mechanicus
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
Not exactly a codex but these books give you a certain amount of fluff for an explorator fleet ... 'cause it's about an explorator fleet. :D

The third book is to be released this summer.
I also found that the Rogue Trader roleplaying books by Fantasy Flight Games hold some information about Explorator Fleets. I have to admit though, that it is way too expensive to buy all those books if you are just after Adeptus Mechanicus information.

Hope this helps a bit.
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
That sounds like a great idea for an army!

There's no dedicated army book for the Adeptus Mechanicus, despite their apparent popularity. So neither is their lore collected in one place... At least not by GW themselves.
You could try the several online wiki's:
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warhammer_40,000

As far as rules for the army, you could use an existing codex as a stand in, or, now that you can ally with a second army in every game in 6th ed*, you could combine 2 codices to get the mix of troops you want.
If you just want to build a really small warband, say a single tech-priest and his retinue, you could even look at playing Inquisitor in 28mm or google for =I=Munda, if you can find other folks to give it a go with you.

Good luck, and please show us what you come up with!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »
My idea is, at present, very much conditioned by two factors - firstly, my existing minis: I have quite a lot of Space Marines already, as well as a variety of other sci-fi figs (some GW and some not) that could be pressed into service, and any of these could be used to provide troops for the force; and secondly, my work situation - charging around East Anglia in a van with a gang of archaeologists. We were discussing a few days ago how it would be much easier if we had an APC to get about; this got me thinking about the idea of exploration team lead by a tech-priest (or perhaps tech-marine) looking for archaeological relics in the GrimDarkFuture.

That's about it at the moment. Using the mixed-codex option is probably a good way to go - one of the Marine Codices for (some of) the Marines I already have, perhaps maxing out on Tech-marine options, and maybe a small Inquisition force (can't have the Adeptus Mechanicus digging up anything heretical after all!) to go with them. Or possibly (as Techpriests are an option with IG armies) using the IG codex.

Thanks for the links there Modhail - there doesn't seem to be a lot of solid info out there. However, in the senior hierarchy of the Cult of Omnissiah is the 'Magos Explorator' - and I quote in full from http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Techpriests

"Magos Explorator - Obsessed with the Cult Mechanicus' Quest for Knowledge, the senior Tech-priests who serve as a Magos Explorator search high and low across the galaxy for lost Standard Template Construct (STC) databases and ancient human scientific and technical knowledge lost during the Age of Strife. A breed apart from regular Tech-priests, any Explorator or member of his team will willingly walk into forgotten catacombs, even at the risk of death, for mere snippets of long-forgotten knowledge from the Dark Age of Technology. Many Magos Explorator command the Explorator fleets that continue to push outward the frontiers of the Imperium or even serve alongside Rogue Traders."

That sounds about right  lol - yeah, one of them please (or at least, one of his survey teams)!

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »
I'm not sure how much info they actually contain, but the old Adeptus Titanicus game had some fluff. I might have a PDF stored somewhere. Also the chapter approved book had some fluff with the IG army list. as for explorers it would be in line with the newer fluff to have the mechanicus accompanied by an Ordo Xenos inquisitor for leadership, bodyguard and weaponry, while the techpriest does archeology.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
The 2nd edition codex included in the box set probably had the biggest ADMech fluff entry.

For marines attached to an explorator party I'd go with Iron Hands or Sons of Medusa, or an offshoot chapter.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 03:31:27 PM »
This isn't additional information... more a bit of inspiration:

http://swchq.proboards.com/thread/26/manus-blog-mechanicus

I have enjoyed reading what this chap has been putting together and the conversions are very nice indeed.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »
The "Mechanicum" novel by McNeill is focused on the Mechanicum during the Heresy. Obviously not immediately applicable, but the mindset and early history of them re-establishing contact with Earth after the Age of Strife are very nicely treated.

Regarding rules, I'd say the question of which list to use depends on the power level you wish to portray. If you want to have mostly human serfs, I think the guard wouldn't be too far off. I've always found the Marines to be lacking a bit - my brother used to run an Adeptus Mechanicus army using the latest Grey Knights list toned down a bit, with appropriate names substituted for the various bits and bobs. This worked quite well, although even a toned-down GK list can be rather brutal - he used the "basic" knights to represent "living" AM troops, and "small" terminators for robots, which make the robots a bit more autonomous than they probably should be.

Finally, I think the latest Horus Heresy rulebooks included rules for the latest Mechanicus releases by Forgeworld, but no full list I am aware of.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 03:43:26 PM »
All good stuff, any and all info gladly sought and thanks von der Tann, Modhail, area23 and Dr Mathias for what you've already provided. There seem to be even more Adeptus Mechanicus books (including one by Graham MacNeil just called 'Mechanicum') so I'll probably try to get them out of the local library or see if any of my mates have them (as well as old codices and whatnot)...

Inso, thanks for that, there are some damned groovy models on there. Not all conversions! Those 'servitor' types on the first page are pretty cool...

Westfalia Chris, thanks for the info - I'd found out about the existence of 'Mechanicum', but every time I time I try to post someone else has replied! So I'll say 'thanks' in advance and read you post after posting this one...

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »
Chris, I'm going to send Mark my AD Mech image library.  Should come in useful.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
I can't understand why GW hasn't made an AdMech army for 40k.

People would be throwing money at the computer screen. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
It's on the way looking at the recent forgeworld releases. As u say a perfect money spinner.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
The next Horus Heresy book has a 30k list for a full Mechanicum force. This allows the new Knights and lots of battle automata and AdMech tanks. The first two HH books have mechanicum lists for diferent Ordos but there are fewer options in those.

There haven't been any Forgeworld Skitarri (Basic 40k era mechanicus infantry) which has been read by some as a sign of a potential 40k AdMech add on for the new Imperial Guard codex for 40k with main GW miniatures being used for the AdMech infantry.

Background is mainly in the old 2nd edition material -I'd agree with starting with one of the wikis and following leads from there.

Offline Agent Brown

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »
There are a few unofficial AdMech codices floating around, such as-
http://www.thedarkfortress.co.uk/tech_reports/codex_adeptusmechanicus.htm#.U1L-_H81gv4
Just pop Adeptus Mechanicus Codex into Google. Might be useful to see what others have come up with.
There's also In the Emperor's Name, which might suit a small skirmish force better than 40K.
http://iten-game.org/downloads