Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best video tutorial for painting  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Presence

• Lurker
Best video tutorial for painting
« on: April 22, 2014, 02:54:39 AM »
So I've just got back into painting 28mm's after a long time away. I came across some of my old Easy Eight US Airborne miniatures I did about 14-15 years ago and was inspired to get back into it. I think I'm more into it now to make dioramas/vignettes rather than game-playing though.

In any case I was wondering if you fine gents could point me in the direction of some good painting tutorials. I've ordered some miniatures from Artizan, Conquest, Foundry and other places, to include a beginners painting set from Foundry to get me back into the hobby. My painting skills could use some work, no doubt. Based on what I can recall and see in the miniatures I still have I relied heavily on ink washes which I think I want to try and avoid if I can teach myself to not need them. It's also nice not relying on my parents to buy me the paints and figures I want, I was so limited back then!  ;D

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Best video tutorial for painting
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
I like the Artmaster Studios tutorials on Youtube, myself: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvf43EaAtBIeC75Ndz0cThw

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »
WSS magazine has been sponsoring an interesting series of painting videos.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:01:51 AM »
Personally I really like the Hot Lead videos. Watched them all in one go and they are very helpful, especially if you need to dust off skills and see some of the new techniques. Everything is explained well with excellent videos. Only downside is the video in between scenes...this gets a bit of a drag after a while but other than that truly great!

http://hot-lead.org/dvd/index.html

And a review:
http://rpgathenaeum.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/product-review-hot-leads-how-to-paint-a-better-miniature/
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

former user

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »
Your approach with tutorials and stuff smells to me like being blocked, so skip all this, and start doing it. Take some miniatures that are simpler, like half naked or plain clothes without a lot of accessoires and do it. If You can and want, ask someone to do it together, it makes things simpler.
Once You get back into doing it, You can watch all kinds of fancy specialized tutorials You want to refine Your skills.

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:39:29 AM »
Interesting links - thanks