Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone ever have problems (eBay) ordering from Haverhill, Suffolk in England?  (Read 6481 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
There is still one for sale from the same location so I assume the same seller. No negative feedback for him so I would suspect the parcel has been lost in the post.

He will have some recourse to a refund if he has proof of posting from the post office. Stuff has arrived Stateside that I have sent after that length of time but it is rare to take so long.

I feel your pain as an google search just showed the completed auction and it had all the command figures in.
All the command plus an extra champion and was planning on converting one into a pikeman. Eight troopers and a cymbalist would've been the next purchase, after receiving the package, but now I'll have to look elsewhere, as he'll blacklist me and don't want to have to go through it again, if there's a problem with the Haverhill branch and international shipping. A shame, as he's the only seller to offer classic Citadel figures at decent prices and willing to accept offers for lower prices.:(

Looking for Ugezod on eBay, I found this for £250:o and this for £59.99. I had planned on fielding a 60 strong unit, with some of the figures from the rest of Chronicle's Black Orc range, but even these are pricey. A 22 figure lot: Ugezod, 2 musicians, 2 standard bearers and 17 troopers, but no champion was on offer for £100 and it sold a few days ago.

He does have one negative, but don't know the buyer's location and a few neutrals, one being from a Francophone with the comment "Moyen." 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
As a seller, Ebay tends to regard you as a walking wallet ripe for abuse.

Therefore, if the seller in this case is reluctant to escalate your claim, it is likely because they have no real protection at their end and Ebay will do nothing to help them.

In a similar manner, as a buyer, the responsibility is on you to take action if anything at all is not right - having the odds already stacked in your favour as a consumer, almost nobody is going to go out of their way to help you (and indeed, some unscrupulous sellers rely on this and are deliberately be vague before adding disclaimers in their listings).

Therefore, if after two or three weeks you haven't got what you ordered (and if you likely should have in that time), feel free to open a dispute in PayPal and to escalate it until you get a result.

I understand that sometimes people take a few days to ship (that's fine), but it is their responsibility to get you the item in a timely manner or risk losing their sale money through a PayPal dispute. If they are reasonably late posting something that will take a while to arrive, they should consider choosing a faster shipping method at their own cost (though almost none do).

However, I do know that occasionally somebody completes a sale that they don't want at the final price level, and then never ships it at all. The "lost" parcel may or not be claimed back by the buyer in time, and Royal Mail or whoever may payout on a claim for the "lost" parcel, but ultimately the seller will break up/relist the item and hopefully get a much better price the next time around. I've seen and had this happen to me as a buyer a few times, and it really make me angry. Sadly, Ebay doesn't really care (since they would take their cut out of both transactions anyway), so you do have to be a bit sanguine when bidding/buying on Ebay.

And unfortunately, despite Ebay's pretensions, it is not a traditional store. It relies on sellers and buyers coming together to negotiate a deal on something that is unlikely to have much margin in the transactions, and Ebay takes a decent cut for itself (for setting up the meeting venue if you will). Buyers and sellers all should "know" what they are getting into by transacting through Ebay. This means that you shouldn't feel guilty about raising a claim after three weeks (because of time limits imposed on you by PayPal/Ebay), or even asking if it's been shipped after a week. Therefore, more insistent querying, whilst normally impolite, is the obvious route in more valuable Ebay transactions - it also ensure both parties get what they need from the transaction too.

I'm sure you knew all that anyway, but I felt the needs to spell it out here and hope that it reassures you that you have done the right thing. Whilst there are lots of decent people on Ebay, there are still a lot who do not feel too much obligation to do things properly.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."

I had planned on fielding a 60 strong unit, with some of the figures from the rest of Chronicle's Black Orc range, but even these are pricey. A 22 figure lot: Ugezod, 2 musicians, 2 standard bearers and 17 troopers, but no champion was on offer for £100 and it sold a few days ago.

If you're happy to be patient, they do crop up from time to time at much lower prices than that. I'm slowly building up the same unit in drips and drabs, but not as big as that.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
As a seller, Ebay tends to regard you as a walking wallet ripe for abuse.

Therefore, if the seller in this case is reluctant to escalate your claim, it is likely because they have no real protection at their end and Ebay will do nothing to help them.

In a similar manner, as a buyer, the responsibility is on you to take action if anything at all is not right - having the odds already stacked in your favour as a consumer, almost nobody is going to go out of their way to help you (and indeed, some unscrupulous sellers rely on this and are deliberately be vague before adding disclaimers in their listings).

Therefore, if after two or three weeks you haven't got what you ordered (and if you likely should have in that time), feel free to open a dispute in PayPal and to escalate it until you get a result.

I understand that sometimes people take a few days to ship (that's fine), but it is their responsibility to get you the item in a timely manner or risk losing their sale money through a PayPal dispute. If they are reasonably late posting something that will take a while to arrive, they should consider choosing a faster shipping method at their own cost (though almost none do).

However, I do know that occasionally somebody completes a sale that they don't want at the final price level, and then never ships it at all. The "lost" parcel may or not be claimed back by the buyer in time, and Royal Mail or whoever may payout on a claim for the "lost" parcel, but ultimately the seller will break up/relist the item and hopefully get a much better price the next time around. I've seen and had this happen to me as a buyer a few times, and it really make me angry. Sadly, Ebay doesn't really care (since they would take their cut out of both transactions anyway), so you do have to be a bit sanguine when bidding/buying on Ebay.

And unfortunately, despite Ebay's pretensions, it is not a traditional store. It relies on sellers and buyers coming together to negotiate a deal on something that is unlikely to have much margin in the transactions, and Ebay takes a decent cut for itself (for setting up the meeting venue if you will). Buyers and sellers all should "know" what they are getting into by transacting through Ebay. This means that you shouldn't feel guilty about raising a claim after three weeks (because of time limits imposed on you by PayPal/Ebay), or even asking if it's been shipped after a week. Therefore, more insistent querying, whilst normally impolite, is the obvious route in more valuable Ebay transactions - it also ensure both parties get what they need from the transaction too.

I'm sure you knew all that anyway, but I felt the needs to spell it out here and hope that it reassures you that you have done the right thing. Whilst there are lots of decent people on Ebay, there are still a lot who do not feel too much obligation to do things properly.

I once waited eight weeks, as the package was shipped from China in the beginning of December, then opened a case, but eBay told me it was too late and had to rely on the seller. The seller claimed he refunded me, but nothing showed up in my Paypal account. Since it was a $9.99 (including shipping) cheap shaving strop, I wasn't too bothered either way.

This seller's a decent guy and if the situation hadn't ended up like this, I would've purchased more of his BiN stuff. The case is now closed, didn't need to escalate it, as my message to the seller, late Wednesday, resulted in a full refund the following day. Still would've liked to have received the package and maybe it'll turn up eventually, so not completely content ATM.     

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Nothing lost at least, but it does leave you feeling ... unsatisfied.

Here's hoping the package turns up eventually.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
The package arrived earlier today... :)

Spoke with eBay customer support, then Paypaled the full amount, along with a note, left feedback and also messaged the seller.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
That's great news  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Great news

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Woo hoo, everyone goes home happy.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Get them painted!
Easier said than done... :(

I've got 60 Ruglud's Armored Orcs(1990s version) to prep, convert, base and then paint, before I do anything else. I've got a mountain of lead, some plastic and a few resin items that won't see paint for another decade, but I'm still going buy stuff, as I don't want to pay 6-7 times the rate of Dollar inflation in 2020 - I remember what I paid c.2000 on eBay vs. now.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Ask to see proof of posting e-mailed to you. Ask him to post the receipt to make sure it's genuine.

If the package really has been lost in the post don't be too hard on the chap. He may well have sent it in good faith and it may be Royal Mail that have buggered things up.

Maybe offer to go 50/50 on the costs if he has definitely shown you proof of posting (and you have seen the actual PO receipt).

I find Evilbay to be particularly hard on sellers- I've had a few bad experiences myself and I've just given up on them. Bad company, policies always biased towards the customer, no trader rights to speak of, they even put a charge on the postal costs these days!..... just another corporation at the end of the day.

On the other hand if he/she can't show you that they've posted the parcel, put in a complaint straight away. you have waited long enough.

Darrell.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain

On the other hand if he/she can't show you that they've posted the parcel, put in a complaint straight away. you have waited long enough.

You dopey bugger.

The package arrived earlier today... :)

Spoke with eBay customer support, then Paypaled the full amount, along with a note, left feedback and also messaged the seller.