Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ordering from Monolith in the US?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Ordering from Monolith in the US?
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »
Hi, guys...

I would like to pick up some of the Monolith terrain pieces for my aforementioned Aztec project. However, the website hasn't been updated since 2006. Is he still in business? Can I reliably order from him in the states and expect to get my order? Anybody know if he takes paypal?

Thanks!

-Doc

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Ordering from Monolith in the US?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:02:47 AM »
I'm in the UK and bought from Steve just before Christmas.  And I had an email from him only this week.

Use the email address on the site - I did - and ask him direct.  I know he was ill recently but, as I say, I exchanged emails this week.

Great Service, by the way.

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »
Honestly, I would be VERY hesitant to order from Monolith that would be sent to the USA.

I had placed an order with Monolith a few years ago, and it was a horrible experience and a total disaster.

After I had placed a fairly large order (and paid it in full), I saw or heard NOTHING for about three months.  He would not return e-mail, after e-mail, after e-mail.  :?

Finally I started to ask around on several miniature sites if this guy was still in business, I finally got an e-mail.  Some sort of sob story that he was in the hospital and just got home.  OK.  I might believe that, so I cut some more slack.

Two more months go by, nothing.  I start sending e-mail, after e-mail, after e-mail.  I start asking around on several miniature sites again, to see if anybody can contact this guy.  After about another week, I get an e-mail from Monolith saying that he had sent it a month ago and it must be held up in US customs.  HUH? I have had packages held up in customs before, but it only has taken, at maximum, one week.

A few more weeks pass by, still no package. At this point, I am getting ticked off.

The package arrives, FINALLY!  Even before I open the box, I take a look at the posting date on the label.  IT WAS FROM A WEEK BEFORE.  Held up in customs, my eye...  All of this runaround for about 6 months, and it was posted a week before it finally arrived to my workplace.  So much for all of that line about being sick/customs/whatever...  No company which wants to stay in business should ship items, FULLY PAID FOR, almost six months after it was ordered.

Then I had opened the box, and many of the resin pieces were TOTALLY broken.    >:(  Monolith had just put the items in the box, and a few pieces of newspaper for packing.  Granted, this might have been due to shipping, but only a few sheets of newspapers for packing a large box???

I have had items broken in the past, and usually I send them back, and have the broken items replaced.  When I tried to contact Monolith about the broken items, as usual for this transaction, no response.  Which I think is better anyway, for my way of thinking is, if it took this long to get my original package from them, no telling how long it will take to get replacement pieces out to me...  So I just did the best I could and try to fix the items myself...

I will totally agree with you that their terrain is wonderful looking, and the figs are incredible (especially the Graven Images figs, which would work great for Weird War 2), but after the experience with them, I will not order from them again.

BTW.  On the same topic, Lon from Brigade Games here in the USA did carry them for a while, but even their website states "Due to inability to get a consistent supply and new releases, we are dropping this line".

I think you might be a lucky guy, Orctrader, for my experience was horrific...

"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
Yeah, I've heard a zillion horror stories about Monolith too, over the years on TMP and such. They would certainly have put me off if I had read them before dealing with the company.

Weirdly though, my experience with Monolith was almost entirely positive. Stuff came pretty quickly, once there was one piece missing from the order, but they sent it as soon as I brought the matter up with them.

Almost seems that there must be two Monoliths: The one I ordered stuff from, and the one other people have to deal with.  ???

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:27:18 PM »
Yeah, I've heard a zillion horror stories about Monolith too, over the years on TMP and such. They would certainly have put me off if I had read them before dealing with the company.

Weirdly though, my experience with Monolith was almost entirely positive. Stuff came pretty quickly, once there was one piece missing from the order, but they sent it as soon as I brought the matter up with them.

Almost seems that there must be two Monoliths: The one I ordered stuff from, and the one other people have to deal with.  ???

Same with me, I have never had issues but have heard and seen many who have. I know he takes regular trips stats side and this can interfere with purchases etc or has in the past.

Lovely products by the way Neil used a lot of them in our tenochtitlan game in 2007. There is an American company who produce a lovely foam pyramid which would be a good buy too.

There are some WIP sets on terrain here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/troop-of-shewe/sets/

Neil has some tips on how he built Tenochtitlan which may be useful. We used Noche triste as a scenario for one of our Demos and it was good fun. One of the main hazards was crosing the cuaseways which had their bridges removed, those who keep their treasure can have a habit of drowning. Also to build in we the fact a lot of the conqwuistadors were formaly part of a force sent to arrest Cortes so he purposely let them grab treasure and act as a rear guard knowing they would be chopped

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 03:39:58 PM »
Here are building links

http://www.stonehouseminiatures.com/buildingsruins/

There is another US company but cant find the link

Offline gatetraveller

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
I have always had excellent service from Monolith.  I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again in the future.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
Thank you all for the comments.

Regarding the horror stories, I've had almost identical experiences recently with another company. The frustrating part of it all was that people kept making excuses "oh, he's sick", or "he's had a family crisis"; I'm sympathetic, but it seems like the guy has family crises and/or is sick a lot, which always presages orders being six to eight weeks late, at the very minimum. In this case, I'd ordered something in October of 2007, and it didn't arrive until April of 2008....

Anyway, I do like the Monolith pieces, particularly the Aztec homes (I don't know of anyone else who does these). Not sure if I'll risk it yet, but I am very grateful for the words of encouragement and warning in equal measure. Gives me something to think about.

I am planning to heavily incorporate the Stonehouse Miniatures stuff. I've seen it in person and it's beautiful. Unfortunately, they don't seem to do many "civilian" type buildings.

Lowtardog -

Your setup is extremely inspiring! Just brilliant work. I've been trying to find the links that were posted a while ago with pictures of the action, but can't seem to find them. Would you be willing to share that link again?

-Doc

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:32:46 PM »
Heard all the same horror stories so have avoided buying anything from them. Arrow Miniatures in the USA do some very nice Aztec buildings etc. and Warlord Games sells some bits of Monolith stuff...not nearly all of it though...
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 12:32:48 AM »

Regarding the horror stories, I've had almost identical experiences recently with another company. The frustrating part of it all was that people kept making excuses "oh, he's sick", or "he's had a family crisis"; I'm sympathetic, but it seems like the guy has family crises and/or is sick a lot, which always presages orders being six to eight weeks late, at the very minimum. In this case, I'd ordered something in October of 2007, and it didn't arrive until April of 2008....

Anyway, I do like the Monolith pieces, particularly the Aztec homes (I don't know of anyone else who does these). Not sure if I'll risk it yet, but I am very grateful for the words of encouragement and warning in equal measure. Gives me something to think about.

I am planning to heavily incorporate the Stonehouse Miniatures stuff. I've seen it in person and it's beautiful. Unfortunately, they don't seem to do many "civilian" type buildings.

Lowtardog -

Your setup is extremely inspiring! Just brilliant work. I've been trying to find the links that were posted a while ago with pictures of the action, but can't seem to find them. Would you be willing to share that link again?

-Doc

Here you go, we have some mass skirmish rules in the planning that we used but it has gone on a back burner, they may yet return next year though with Inca :D

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/TheFeatheredSerpentProject

I see you got a link to the civilian buildings on TMP Acheson, they were the ones I was thinking of

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »
We tend to pick up all our Monolith pieces from Shaun at "The Bunker" in Newark (UK).
He usually has a fairly constant stock of terrain pieces.

No idea about his email address offhand so it doesn't really help you on this one, but if we see him at the York show (two weeks time) we'll ask him there.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 12:42:16 AM »

Lowtardog -

-Doc

Here you go, we have some mass skirmish rules in the planning that we used but it has gone on a back burner, they may yet return next year though with Inca :D

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/TheFeatheredSerpentProject

I see you got a link to the civilian buildings on TMP Acheson, they were the ones I was thinking of

Thanks much, LTD. Beautiful pics:) And thank you, too, Fastolfrus.

-Do