Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Uniform Help required Zulu War British  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Uniform Help required Zulu War British
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
I am having a go at the Empress Miniatures and have been using Keith's stunning examples as a guide alongside a Funcken which I do not trust very much.
Can anybody tell me what colours I should be using for the water canteen and the large rucksack type thing at the bottom of the kit on their backs - base of spine/buttocks area

many thanks

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Re: Uniform Help required Zulu War British
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
Well, I know about the water bottle, at least.  The bottle itself is natural wood with metal bands around each end.  The spout is metal.  The support webbing is either white or dyed khaki.  I'm not sure about the 'rucksack'.  Can you show me the back of one of the figures? If it's the large valise, it's black with white (khaki) webbing but it wasn't normally carried on campaign, being left with the wagons.  It could be worn in various positions, high on the back or lower down over the buttocks.  If it's the expense pouch, the colours are the same, but it is usually worn suspended from the belt in the small of the back.  You can see some reproduction equipment if you follow this link.

http://www.militaryhistoryworkshop.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=10

Hope that helps.  I've got to order those figures for myself, one of these days!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:11:16 PM »
many thanks for that. You confirmed my thoughts on the canteen and Funcken was showing a smaller black pack - I think from your link the later leather pattern. I took the plunge anyway

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:34:15 PM »
Hey there - can't wait to see these finished Sir. Working on some command figures myself.

These might help for some uniform detail bits and bobs.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thinred/valises_1871.html
http://www.regimental-quartermaster.com/Zululand1879.html

Theres a tiny clicky-link at the top of the first page there with a pretty good 'all-round' view although i think that the huge 24 on the Valise is a little hopeful.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »
By George, I think you've got it!  :D  Looks good.  I really must order those figures! It's interesting that the waist belt and ammo pouches were apparently buff leather for the rankers with most of the rest of webbing in white.  So, I guess you can have all buff or all white webbing or various other combos.  I imagine it must have taken a fair bit of effort to blanco a buff belt, though! Much easier to dunk your white equipment in tea to 'camouflage' it!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:38:04 AM »
By George, I think you've got it!  :D  Looks good.  I really must order those figures! It's interesting that the waist belt and ammo pouches were apparently buff leather for the rankers with most of the rest of webbing in white.  So, I guess you can have all buff or all white webbing or various other combos.  I imagine it must have taken a fair bit of effort to blanco a buff belt, though! Much easier to dunk your white equipment in tea to 'camouflage' it!

All very well, but have you ever had to explain to a CSM/RSM why you haven't followed orders?  :o

They were bad enough in the 1980s  - I dread to think what they were like in the Victorian era  lol

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »
That looks great.

What are you (and others) using for the blue of the trousers?

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »
"What are you (and others) using for the blue of the trousers?"

I will bet a penny to a pound I am the only one doing this but hey it works for me. The photo has bleached the colour, especially the highlights, quite a bit too so I think it looks a lot better in the flesh so to speak. So this will not be of any use to you but here goes

Base coat of a colour called "true navy" which is an Inscribe craft paint.
Wash of Pynes Grey water colour (which I also use to line in as its not as harsh as black)
Back to the base coat for first highlight and then build up by adding an off white in small amounts, I think I used Foundry Linen C.

Svennn

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »

What are you (and others) using for the blue of the trousers?

I'm using vmc dark prussian blue followed by prussian blue and then highlighted by adding a touch of vmc blue/grey to the mix. I intend to make the veterans look a bit more washed out by adding more highlights.

Great looking figure svennn. :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Uniform Help required Zulu War British - New Pic
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:56 PM »
despite having no use for them whatsoever I have finished the first four. Wonderful miniatures highly recommended.

Svennn

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Uniform Help required Zulu War British - New Pic
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »
despite having no use for them whatsoever I have finished the first four.
Svennn

No use for them?
For Heaven's sake man!
All you need to do now is paint 80 Zulus and you've got yourself a decent skirmish game  lol

(Seriously, nice work Svennn... Personally, I am resisting the temptation, but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold out... )