Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:51:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Beorn  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
Beorn
« on: May 01, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »
My last miniature. In the pictures eyes seem big and I'm not happy about the corporal hair. Other tan that, my usual crappy level  :D

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
Re: Beorn
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
Looks fine to me! Splendid work  :-*

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:06:31 PM »
I like the greys and browns you used. Very fitting for the character and nice brushwork!

Jevenkah

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »
hairy arms..like it.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
Photographs of painted miniatures are unforgiving. So are painters of their own work. Looks damn good in the photo, and I assume the actual miniature is much smaller. 

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
Really like thats, so much better than my effort with that model.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
Is that the old Mithril figure? It's a lovely piece of work you've posted there. I always thought Mithril were beautiful sculpts, but I found them hellishly hard to paint. Yours, on the other hand, is a masterpiece!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »
VERY WELL DONE! It certainly looks like you got the most out of a Cool mini.

While a certain level of humility is becoming in an artist, don't be too hard on your work; re, folks with lesser abilities find such comments disheartening. I was brought down a peg or too for doing just that myself.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline imurdentist

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
Nice work!
Would you mind sharing how you did paint the hair on his arms and chest!?! I love that effect!

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »
Nice work!
Would you mind sharing how you did paint the hair on his arms and chest!?! I love that effect!

Sure! I began with a slightly greenish brown (brown was similar to the middle tone of flesh shadows). I painted thin stripes in the sense that the hair grows and then I darken the mix and painted even thinner stripes. Use always watered down paint so it blends a little and doesn't stand out too much (wouldn't look natural).

*Mitch K: Yes, it's one of the two models Mithril released way back in the 90's or so. Not the crispest sculpts but they do have certain charm to them.

*DeafNala : I'm a perfectionist and I can't help it. Following Van Gogh's saying, I do not finish miniatures, I just abandom them because every time I look at them I see things I could improve or are not good enough. on the bright side, it helps me to improve my painting, or at least try to.

Thanks for the nice comments!