Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:03:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691085
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Kali Bronze  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
The Kali Bronze
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »
One of the bits included in the Pulp Figures "The Mad Guru" pack of Thugee figures is a bas-relief carving of the Hindu goddess Kali, in all her many-armed glory, with skull necklace, skirt of human forearms, and the body of her consort underfoot.

It's a really lovely piece of sculpting, and (as far as I can tell) actually a very accurate miniature representation of Kali.

So of course when I bought it last spring I put it to one side and did absolutely nothing with it for 13+ months...

The last couple of weeks I've been on a bit of a tear to get stuff finished and off my painting bench; it's been getting a bit crowded with half-completed and ignored figures and projects around the edges of my painting area!

I pulled the Kali bas-relief out, based it with a bit of scrap styrene and some Milliput, then had to decide whether to paint it up as a stone carving or a bronze casting. I decided it looked better in bronze.

The basecoat is GW Dwarf Bronze, then a straight wash of GW Gryphonne Sepia over that. I added a little bit of verdigris with some very diluted green ink (acrylic FW Sap Green), the finally a few highlights here and there with the original Dwarf Bronze.

The base is just grey, a paler grey drybrush then a quick wash of GW Devlan Mud.

It'll appear as a Plot Point marker in Pulp Alley games, or just as scenery in some Thugee temple.

Little bit more over on the blog:  http://www.warbard.ca/2014/05/01/the-thugees-bronze/

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Kali Bronze
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:51:39 AM »
That's lovely- it looks like it has very nice texture to it, it has real warmth and depth.  :-*

who is that zombie by in the back ground?
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:33:16 AM »
I'll try to get a photo in daylight this weekend to show the colour and detail better; the late-night quick snap is OK but not great!

The two figures in hospital robes on the right are not zombies but Statuesque Frothing Loonies from their new Asylum range.

Fun figures with separate heads; I did a quick review of them on my blog as part of this article last month.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »
Beautiful work!  :-* :-* :-*

That Kali piece definitely makes the Mad Guru pack very tempting.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
Brilliant...simply brilliant.

Pete
BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »
I agree its a nice piece and you did an excellent job painting it, but I must admit that my attention was drawing to the suitcases and hat boxes in the foreground.  Very nice stuff and nicely painted.  Who makes those? Thanks.

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:06:04 PM »
War in 15mm,

they're the gorgeous castings of our LAF fellow 6milphil.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=51245.0

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
A nice effective piece!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
Remgain, thank you.  Richard

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 11:05:44 PM »
Yes, the luggage is from 6mmphil.

I reviewed it last spring when I got the order from Slug Industries (phil's company) and just recently wrote about finally finishing it.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
I'll be bound to get that pack someday, once my louts find their way to India.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 12:50:05 AM »
That Kali statue really is brilliant. :-* Dad says we can't buy anything non Vice Alley related until we finish. Maybe I can convince dad of cultists worshiping Kali in our city so we can get it sooner ;)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 01:12:29 AM »
That Kali statue really is brilliant. :-* Dad says we can't buy anything non Vice Alley related until we finish. Maybe I can convince dad of cultists worshiping Kali in our city so we can get it sooner ;)

Well, in Young Sherlock Holmes there was a whole Egyptian temple full of cultists in the middle of London so its not outside the realm of possibility that there could be a Kali cult in any large urban area, like say Vice Alley?  ;)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 01:24:51 AM »
Yes, the luggage is from 6mmphil.

I reviewed it last spring when I got the order from Slug Industries (phil's company) and just recently wrote about finally finishing it.

Kind words indeed , thanks for that. They are listed on the website though, you just have to click on the pdf catalogue link - http://slugindustries.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/slugindustriesjune2013web1.pdf

Excellent work on Kali, and a pleasant coincidence as on my mantel piece sits...

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 02:26:11 AM »

Broaden your horizons! Have a Vice Alley game in Hyderabad, New Delhi, or Calcutta. Problem solved!  :D

(This is actually rather self-serving of me, because the very first league I made was an Indian league... I'm just waiting on a particular mini to come out before I can finish it).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:28:07 AM by FramFramson »