Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:21:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690463
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Queenston Heights 1812  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Kiltedyaksman

• Assistant
  • Old School
Battle of Queenston Heights 1812
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
Hello,

I normally paint and have a fascination for fantasy miniatures, but as a Canadian resident in Niagara I'm also interested in putting some 28-25mm miniatures together to recreate the British and Canadian victory at the Battle of Queenston Heights in 1812.

I could really use the advice of veteran war gamers on where to go to find British and American regulars, Militia, and Aboriginal miniatures that would suit the time period.

Thank you for your help. Greg

Offline Burnt65

• Scientist
    • KEGS gaming site
Re: Battle of Queenston Heights 1812
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
Knuckleduster has all you will ever need
Keith

Offline Kiltedyaksman

• Assistant
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »
Lots of potential there. Thank you.

What sort of rule set is best with this style of game?

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »
It depends on your style of play - we use Blackpowder.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:57:38 PM »
Not sure that Black Powder would fit the mould for Queenston Heights - it's quite a quirky battle.
We played it at the school club two years ago - we're doing Bladensburg this summer.

We used "Cousin Jonathon" from the Perfect Captain, but you might want to look at "Rocket's Red Glare" from the Canadian Wargames Group.

As for figures, Knuckleduster or Old Glory have a good range and should be easy for you to get hold of. You'll need indians for Queenston Heights too - there are quite a few companies to consider for those.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Kiltedyaksman

• Assistant
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:22:32 PM »
Offensive miniatures seem to have some great looking British light infantry, as well as front rank and warlord.

I want single piece miniatures. Metal preferred but isn't a deal breaker. I'm not interested at this point in piecing them together.

Offline michaelsbagley

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:44 AM »
I use Knuckleduster and Old Glory. They fit pretty well together and are metal and both reasonably priced. Knuckleduster are a hair more costly, but the sculpts are a bit nicer in my opinion.

I've mostly been working towards more skirmish based games with my collection, but have considered putting together bigger battles (mostly thinking North-Western front, like Tippecanoe, River Raison, or Mississinewa), and the Perfect Captain "Cousin Jonathan" rules were recommended to me for that purpose(and they're free, but with a suggested donation). The latest issue of Wargames Illustrated has a "Lundy's Lane" article, it seems they used a Regimental Fire & Fury variant for that. Hope this helps.
If I knew who the evil genius was, I wouldn't need a diabolical plot to find him...

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
Kiltedyaksman;
I have something in the way of rules that might be right up your alley. I wrote a set of rules for the War of 1812 called Red Coats and War Hawks which won a PELA Award at Historicon last year. Contact me at battlefield_designs (at) rogers (dot) com as I have written a skirmish rule set that might suite the bill. You can also check out my website at:

http://www.battlefieldgamedesigns.com/

I also live in Ontario near London which is also a bonus for shipping... :D
Regards,
Hitman
 8)

Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
Would Redcoats and War Hawks work for something as big as Queenston Heights?
I thought it was a skirmish set?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
Check out Brigade Games. They have a growing range of 1812 sculpts by Paul Hicks:

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/War-of-1812_c_450.html

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
Kiltedyaksman;
Send me an e-mail and I can answer all your questions...although Red Coats and War Hawks is set up as a skirmish game, a couple of minor tweaks written in the rules allow you to expand this game to larger scale.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
Hi Greg
  Its nice to hear that the war of 1812 is still being played  over the pond  :D
 Dont think them yanks like to game that war  ..  :D I wonder why ? But you being a  Canadian i can see why  :) what a great little war it is .You dont need to many battalions to refight the battles and the types of troops are great .
   Have a look at British Grenadier  by Eclaireur..

They are a Very Good set of rules for  battalion/Brigade level  the average size of unit would be around 12-32 figures which aint to big .
The rules are designed for the North american wars and they have the scenario of Battle of Chippawa in the back .whick is a nice and handy .
  they work around Disruption points which you pick up from firing and moving ..

Are club have been playing with them for over 7 years now and are very happy with them they give a great feel to the game having to redress your lines OR do you push on ? there are grading of troops from the Elite Grenadeirs and British Light Infantry to the Levy Militia units of the rebels  :D

michael  is spot on about Old Glory and Knuckleduster figs they fit in fine with each other  with each ,and OG is a lot cheaper over the pond than KD .. so i have 90% OG atm.
Hope this helps good luck with the campaign happy gaming LR

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
I hadn't considered British Grenadier, I thought they were too firmly AWI to work for 1812

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 11:20:16 PM »
We use them for both AWI and 1812  and the only thing you need to add on is that elite and line units only pick up 1 D.P per turn for movement and that the British in line  get a + 1 for firing ..
and thats it..  :)

happy gaming LR

Offline IronDuke596

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »
Our group of four gamed this interesting battle through the Fall and replayed it (switching sides) and modifying the start to start the game when the American forces have the heights.
We used General de Brigade rules with an addendum of rules to cover War of 1812 issues such interplay of Indians and use of boats etc. I have British Grenadier as has been commented on. They are a good set of rules however, I don't like the concept and tracking (or any kind of record keeping) of Disruptions Points. I was hoping that there would be more on Indian tactics and rules but sadly this not the case. I really like G de B as the rules are a balance between realism and fast play and they are geared to division level game that fits most War of 1812 battles.

The figures we used are:

Knuckleduster: superb sculpts, most extensive range (particularly Americans and Canadians plus many unique figures)of all figure manufacturers, compatible with Perry, Front Rank, OG and Victrix. Usually purchased in groups of 4 to 6  at USD1.66 per figure with options to purchase battalions of 24 figs at a discount. They are the only company that produces accurate Indian uniforms for the tribes that fought during the War of 1812. KD also produces a unit builder guide that list units and the suggested figures that wold best replicate it. A very useful tool.

Old Glory: Very nice castings, a good range (British, Americans and some Canadians), compatible with P, FR, OG and KD. The best value in bags of $30 infantry for $35, about $1.17 per figure.

Foundry: very nice castings, did have a good range including Americans and few Canadians but the availability has been reduced. These are smaller 28mm castings that are not compatible with P, FR, VX and KD. I have used some F with OG units and they look fine. They used to be expensive but are recently reduced to $12 for an 8 pack which is 1.50 per figure.

Matchlock 28mm (part of Minifigs): good castings but a limited range of Americans. They are compatible with P, FR, VX and KD. I would not mix them with Foundry but the one or two figures will mix with OG. They are approx $1.82 per figure.

Brigade Games 28mm:  they are just starting there War of 1812 range with late war (1814) American Infantry, gray coated Infantry of Scott's Brigade and artillery crews. Three selections; command, marching and skirmishing. Compatible with P, FR, VX, OG and KD. These are really exquisite sculpts that are a joy to paint. A little expensive but worth it at $2.00 per figure in bags of six.

If I had only one choice it would have to be Knuckleduster; the most extensive range that is continually expanding with superb accurate figures at a reasonable price.

If have any further questions don't hesitate to ask. It is always nice to see more War of 1812 gamers. BTW here is a link to the final moves of group's many posts on the Battle of Queenston Heights;
http://kangarooblogger.blogspot.ca/search?updated-min=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=4
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:31:22 PM by IronDuke596 »