Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:13:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout: A Post Nuclear Tabletop Game  (Read 11681 times)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: Fallout: A Post Nuclear Tabletop Game
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 06:23:10 AM »
 :o

That's surprisingly good. I like the interest and stories you build into the static scenery.

Are those Lego wheels?

Cheers
Matt

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
For Plasticard? Even with the thicker types you can just score it with a knife a few times then snap a section off. You can pick the stuff up from most craft stores, though if you're just wanting the thinner types I'd suggest buying pieces of backing plastic that's used for mounting paintings, or look out for pre-made "For Sale" signs in discount shops.

I've not really taken the plunge and gone beyond the GW and Coat d'arms ranges (which are the same paints, just that the later's cheaper). All those fancy pigments just boggle me, but I can't put down the results...

Oh and if anyone's looking for the original games GoG is a better place to go than Steam. They put the games on sale all the time. Plus they're DRM free.

Heh, all that rad pool needs is a little snorkle poking out from a rad suited diving scavenger (hey you never know what treasures are at the bottom of deadly pits).

Yeah, painting can be a real drag compared to building more crap. Though having plenty of interesting bits like the ones you posted, which are coincidently typically easier to paint, does mean that your board will never be empty. ...Of course you'll need to paint the bigger stuff eventually, otherwise you'll just wind up with a board filled with rad pool and shipping crates (evidently a warehouse was nuked or something).

Good work anyhow, its nice seeing so many Fallout threads that're active at the moment. Any plans for Super Mutants given the period you're going for? I'd suggest Reaper's Ogres if you're looking for models other than Brother Vinnis. ...Or kick Messyart a bit and he might crap out a finished one of his own. =)

@Constable Bertrand

Those, along with most of the other bits are Games Workshop I think. Its surprising how often those chunky wheels appear in post apocalyptic blogs, though I suppose that's down all the Gorka Morka players or something.

Offline Gargobot

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Thanks guys!
Yes, those are indeed GW wheels. From a Space Marine Bike to be more precise.
As for Supermutants, I have one of the Hasslefree Jotuns which I like very much. Of course I need four more, so if you know of any good minis, not yet in the sticky thread, I'm all ears. :)

So, finally finished my first real terrain piece.

"Look Max a house! Why don't you go and check if there's something valuable in there?"

"Oh crap! Rats!"

All in all I like my house. It's a lot cheaper than buying one for sure. So I think I'll probably stick to this MO for the remaining Shady Sands houses. I hope you guys like it too. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:08:36 AM by Gargobot »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 07:36:21 PM »
Super Mutants? Have you looked at the ones I've posted in my thread? Reaper make a few ogres and similar models which work well with some greenstuffing (plus now that they're resin they're a whole lot easier to convert). Bar those there's the Mantic ogres, which posted in the Fallout minis thread, which are decent, but you'll need to cut off the beards.

Your house has shaped up well, bung out another twenty of them and they'll make a fine ...well maybe not fine, they are mud huts ...Californian village. With the interiors I'm thinking that wood boards could look better than just painting a flat surface though, youknow just to make it look like there's more going on with them. That and a wee bit of weathering like you've done with with outside (not the same level though) could help with the walls too, though I can imagine that painting the interior's a real bugger. Ah, and a few posters never go amiss (heh, and its not like I have a dropbox packed with them handy or anything if you'd want the link?). ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »
I especially like the effect with the sand on the floor, and overall it's a great little shack  :)

As for the rats, you've just reminded me that I have a whole bag of the WQ plastic critters...  ::)  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »
I know someone who's making something like a super mutant..
He's being a lazy bastard and worrying more about work than free time, though! ;)

Nice building. c: Simple and effective.
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »
Hey that looks great, the removable roof blends in nicely. :D
Cheers
Matt

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 10:47:48 PM »
As for Supermutants, I have one of the Hasslefree Jotuns which I like very much. Of course I need four more, so if you know of any good minis, not yet in the sticky thread, I'm all ears. :)

I have 1 Brother Vinni Supermutant (a must have), 1 converted Jotun and 1 converted Dreamblade figure, which you can see in this thread : http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43637.0 
and a minigun wielding Supermutant Master from CMON pic here : http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=61781.msg747069#msg747069

Also, check out Majorsmith's threads on GW based supermutants :
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14432.0
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=23878.0
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Gargobot

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 03:40:33 PM »
So no update in over a year...
Let's not dwell on that - life got in the way. But with Fallout 4 finally on the horizon I decided to revive this baby.
I did paint a little here and there, so I have some updates to show you guys.
Let's start with something small. Finding the right ruleset to play with can be hard with all the options out there. So I invited two friends over to playtest a little.
I put what little terrain I had (still don't have a lot more) on a table, thought up a little scenario and got crackin' with the original Fallout PnP rules (only tweaked a little in some places).

En route to Vault 15 Max and Alan come across Old Man Jackson. While he was away on "important business" giant rats made themselves at home at his place.
He sorta barricaded the house so the rats can't get out. Sleeping in the open is hell on his bones though, can't the 'heroes' help? There might be caps and if they're lucky some hardcandy in it for them.

Max and Alan check the whole thing out - close combat hijinks ensue. Rats are no problem, rules hold up splendidly.

Now while the heroes are busy giving those rats what for a small bunch of raiders seize the moment and try to steal Old Man Jackson's prized Brahmin. Jackson is not amused.
Charging headlong towards the raiders, shouting obscenities and firing his rusted and more importantly empty shotgun at them, the players have to decide whether or not to help him.
(I had told them beforehand that this was mostly a rules test but there were 7 secret objectives and if they succeeded in fulfilling 4 they'd "win".)

The players correctly guessed that helping Old Man Jackson survive the day was one of the objectives and decided to lend him a hand.
From here on out stuff got a little more intense so I stopped taking pictures, suffice it to say the rules held up.
My guinea pig players enjoyed themselves and they even managed to squeeze in the win with exactly 4 objectives.

Okay, that's that. I'll try to update this baby regularly in the next weeks, hopefully with proper photos then. Stay tuned. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:11:42 AM by Gargobot »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
Nice Report
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »
It's actually nice to see your work on a forum again buddy. Nice work!