Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Viking/Saxon Undead  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Viking/Saxon Undead
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »
This probably sounds like a very odd question, and if it doesn't make sense, please ask and I'll try to elaborate.

Can anyone suggest a range of undead that wouldn't look too out of place with "normal" Dark Age Viking/Saxon minis? What I'm mostly thinking in terms of armour and weapons being "real world-ish" if that makes sense?

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks in advance,

M
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
Re: Viking/Saxon Undead
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
http://www.fenrisgames.com/shop.html#!/~/product/category=8945908&id=35150233

These Draugr by Fenris games might do the trick. I like them.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
I found that the mantic zombies have so little semblance of clothes left they easily fit in most historic periods. They are however very much zombies and turning them into something else takes work. (mine are now hoplites, very fun conversion to do)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »
http://www.fenrisgames.com/shop.html#!/~/product/category=8945908&id=35150233

These Draugr by Fenris games might do the trick. I like them.

You're right - quite lovely. I would have to say they're a bit dear for me, but I'm notoriously cheap lol

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »
I found that the mantic zombies have so little semblance of clothes left they easily fit in most historic periods. They are however very much zombies and turning them into something else takes work. (mine are now hoplites, very fun conversion to do)

Nice idea. I'll look into that, and it's a good way to use up the spares from various GB pack!

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »
You're right - quite lovely. I would have to say they're a bit dear for me, but I'm notoriously cheap lol

The exact reason I don't have them myself.  :D
Hoping someone might buy them for me as a gift at some point. Been dropping a few hints with my girlfriend in run up to my birthday in August.  lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 04:15:04 PM »
Funny that you should post this now as I was talking to Legionnaire Bert about just this subject earlier.
We decided that adding some undead parts to the various Gripping Beast plastics that we already have is the way to go.
An appropriate earthy paintjob should do the trick.
 :D

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »
The exact reason I don't have them myself.  :D
Hoping someone might buy them for me as a gift at some point. Been dropping a few hints with my girlfriend in run up to my birthday in August.  lol

Subtlety will get you nowhere lol

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »

I had another look - what do you reckon to the ghouls as an alternative? I wonder because they come as a pack of 20 and I don't know that I need 40 of the wretched things!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
The ghouls do wear a bit more clothes, tough still pretty much in tatters they are somewhat recognizable as shirts and kilt like contraptions. They also have rather thick wraps of cloth around their waist. All of that might still work though.
The models have, for some reason, tiny nails modelled on, like they nailed them into themselves. These are however easily removed.

The ghouls come 2 pair of legs and 2 torsos to a sprue, with 3 heads I believe. The zombies are 3 legs and 3 bodies with separate arms on a few so they offer a lot more variety.

The two sets are interchangeable and compatible. (same joints) and these days pretty universal as the are considered some of the "best" undead at their price. You might be able to get a few sprues of each from the bazaar and get the most combinations and bits out of it. I might actually have a few zombie sprues left over myself if your interested.  :D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »

Hmm.

Maybe a bit cheaper when they're released and you can get 'em without extra resin bases and gubbins? :?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
What have I missed here, since several persons seem to be thinking of undead Vikings/Saxons at the same time?

I'm interested too, but merely because of my long desire for playing some Age of Blood (where mythic elements like the draugr are a possible add-on to the historical roaming and pillaging).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
My mantic ghouls and zombies with gripping beast heads and GW skellie arms, work ok but havent finished them, still on the plastic pile. ;D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 08:24:01 PM »
The plot thickens...  ???

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »
What have I missed here, since several persons seem to be thinking of undead Vikings/Saxons at the same time?

I'm interested too, but merely because of my long desire for playing some Age of Blood (where mythic elements like the draugr are a possible add-on to the historical roaming and pillaging).

I know what you mean. It's an odd sort of coincidence. For me, it's because the wall between the historic Dark Ages and the mythic bit (including Middle Earth) is very thin indeed where gaming is concerned! lol