Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:21:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Straight Skirmish Game with Pulp Alley?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Straight Skirmish Game with Pulp Alley?
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
All,
      Going sort of in the opposite direction from MIla's RPG question.  Has anyone tried using the Pulp Alley mechanics for straight skirmish games?  What I mean is a confrontation between two opposing groups, but without the plot points or cards.

Nick

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Straight Skirmish Game with Pulp Alley?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:49:41 AM »
My only caveat on this idea would be that the big boys, the leaders and sidekicks, are very tough. Very little will happen to knock them out permanently from the game. The Allies and Followers would drop like flies, as you might enjoy in a skirmish game. So, I guess it depends on what kind of "feel" you are looking for, Nick.

Just my two cents...

Mike Demana

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:14:16 AM »
I'm not sure it would work well as both as balancing factors and the plot points drive play. I suppose you could have a slugfest without them, but I also expect that a game like that would get boring really fast.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline religon

• Bookworm
  • 28mm Pulp, Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Historical
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
I think it could be fun, but with extensive modification to the game.

Some hindrances: the single figure activation/initiative model, the power of sidekicks/leaders, the 10 slots per league point system, 6 turn game and recovery.

Collectively, these make the strong characters nearly god-like in a skirmish.

If I were to attempt such a thing, I would...

Rather than 10 slots with a free leader, I would calculate the point value of each figure. Combat Skills and Abilities would cost the most. I suspect that Followers would rate 10 per leader or something. I would still have Plot Points (perhaps requiring 2 random challenges each), but victory points would also be given for KO'ing Allies, Sidekicks and Leaders.

Scrap the cool PA initiative system in favor of more a IGOUGO. Perhaps split each league into half and roll initiative for each wing of the league.

Games would only end when 1 side takes 50% casualties rather than 6 turns.

I would disallow free recovery for leaders with Health of d8. It would take an action to recover. Indomitable would also be disallowed.

My two cents.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »
All,
      So maybe more trouble than it is worth?  I guess for larger skirmishes I should stick to TSATF or something similar.

Offline religon

• Bookworm
  • 28mm Pulp, Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Historical
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »
"...more trouble than it is worth..."

Writing game rules are trouble? Never!  :)

Probably 2 hrs with a legal pad and you would have something tailored to your tastes. Run a test and spend another 90 minutes revising. That's not too much trouble if it intrigues you. I am constantly making excuses to miss buddies TSATF games. I would enthusiastically show up for a Pulp Alley slugfest of jacked-up, house-ruled, modified savage mayhem.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:58:47 PM »
I think it could work for maybe 20-30 figures a side at most with some work - say 1 leader only, 2-4 sidekicks, 3-6 allies and lots of followers. Points could be easy enough, each d6 is 1 point, d8 2 points, d10 3 points - keep the same limits on what dice can be used. recovery only allowed to leaders and sidekicks perhaps? abilities - each ability costs say 1 point per level it is, multiplied by character level - x2 for allies, x3 for sidekicks and x4 for leaders. you could still have perilous areas - perhaps needing say 2-3 successes on any stat. It's something I started thinking of too as soon as I got the rules.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:26:39 PM »
It just seems like you'd be taking out a huge part of what makes the game interesting.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 02:12:32 AM »
The other thing is, the logical build for characters would be to max their combat stats and minimise everything else - I imagine it would make for rather bland characters.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 02:44:39 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and ideas folks.  The problem is that presently I am playing completely solo.  While I like the way Pulp Alley reads, I just can't get it straight playing solo.  Yes, I do have Mila's solo suggestions, but there really seems to be something missing.  I was hoping that by taking the role play aspect out of the game that I'd have a decent skirmish engine.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 05:15:00 AM »
One of our basic scenarios during playtesting was called 'Last Man Standing' and it was played as an old style skirmish game without any plot points in play. It was lots of fun but we had to cut about 4 scenarios to make our page count goal.

At its heart, Pulp Alley is a very tactical game and dropping the plot points and cards can be a really fun game.

Honestly, new players frequently ignore the plot points anyway and just blow the hell out of each other -- and its always a good time for everyone.  lol lol lol

I say just drop the plot points and cards and go for it Nick!  :D

HAVE FUN

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »
I say just drop the plot points and cards and go for it Nick!

Who can deny the Master?  ;)

Nick,

I had a solo game that turned into a blood-bath. It wasn't intentional but three of the four minor plot points were completely ignored, one was attempted but then abandoned after failure and all three leagues shot it out in an enclosed space over the major plot point trying to eliminate the others, so that they would remain in possession of the major plot point. In the desperate mêlée that ensued, fortune cards were forgotten. It was only one character who made a truly Pulp escape-ending with the treasure that finished the game. Needless to say, they are still trying to mop up the last traces of blood at Snapcase Hall. Have a read.............

Cash in the Attic (The Eye of the Buddha, Part 3)

Some of the carnage......

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:12:49 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »