Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 07:53:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Is recycling old rules practical?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Is recycling old rules practical?
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:01:18 PM »
I have some old rules,magazines, and game modules that most likely are not worth the postage to try and sell either here or EvilBay.  I thought about shredding them with the shredding pile I have already but that requires tearing out pages in some cases and it is just too much work IMO.  Do you just trash can such items or is recycling a possibility??

EDIT:  Before you are aghast - I don't recycle at all so I don't have any knowledge about what is and isn't recyclable.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:02:57 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Is recycling old rules practical?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:28:11 PM »
Cut them up into strips with a guillotine. Soak with a mixture of white glue and water or plaster and water and recycle them into papier mache hills.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:36:28 PM »
Not sure about the US. In UK we have routine weekly recycling bins provided by Council. I am guessing you dont. It may be worth dropping off to a charity shop, whats some ones rubbish is always some ones find :)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:56:57 AM »
Same thing here in Canada. And yes, I have recycled rules after no one wanted them!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 03:37:21 AM »
Cut them up into strips with a guillotine <snip>

Um, I lack that at home or at work...   :o

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »
Trying to chop them up or shred them is a big waste of time and effort IMO.
Give 'em away, or give them to a charity shop instead.

Even in purely environmental terms, it's usually better to re-use than to recycle! ;)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 10:13:26 AM »
What are the old rules you are trying to dispose of? There are a lot of gamers that are looking for copies of some of the old & OOP rules out there. Many of them on here.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +117

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »
There are a lot of gamers that are looking for copies of some of the old & OOP rules out there. Many of them on here.
Especially if you let them go for free (postage)!
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:46 AM »

Postage is hardly free and is apparently a deterrence to international commerce in many cases (based on what people are saying.)  Some of these rules were offered here and on Evilbay and no one was interested at what I feel was a reasonable price.  Here it seemed to be the shipping and customs, (a valid issue IMO,) and on Evilbay (I suspect) it is the desire to get it "free" which is becoming a Western addiction.

I have seen  what "charities" do with 'unmarketable' toys/stuffed animals and clothing, (Crush and Shred,) first hand so that option is out and will not be considered.  Trash or recycle seems preferable.  Save the middleman in the trash process as it were. 

So I will see if there is a convenient way to recycle what doesn't sell on Evilbay - after the automatic three times listed - then, if not, trash it is...

I wondered if some paper products were not recyclable but it appears, based on what I see written here,  most anything paper is recyclable.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
What are the old rules you are trying to dispose of? There are a lot of gamers that are looking for copies of some of the old & OOP rules out there. Many of them on here.

See my previous comment, please.  No one here was willing to deal with postage and/or possible customs fees, (I wouldn't want that either,) and after multiple exposures on Evilbay I still have them taking up space. 

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »
Any local charitable or semi-charitable causes you could donate them to? Does your nearest highschool have a gaming club? Is there a games club or FLGS nearby you could take them to?

I suspect here Witchfinder meant rather than selling them, you could give them away (free) but receiver pays postage.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:40:57 AM by Red Orc »

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
I suspect here Witchfinder meant rather than selling them, you could give them away (free) but receiver pays postage.
Exactly!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
Postage out of the US is killer these days. Canada too, honestly.

I have some Wings of Glory gaming that I can't get rid of. I'm going to spray them over, flock them, and use them for other things. Too heavy to sell for almost free with the postage!!!

I feel Glenn's pain. I have offered free stuff for postage and recycled rules too - flames of war, a copy of War Rocket of all things, vintage Hinchcliffe catalogs, and history books innumerable to count. Weight kills.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
<snip>

I realized that but the complaints about customs and the past record of of people outside the USA here on LAF essentially saying, "OMG, HOW much?" when (the currently unacceptably high,) postage prices were presented have turned me off from even looking at postage to other countries any more.  All my Ebay auctions are now "US only" in part for that reason...

My new Ebay policy is "auto re-list" at my minimum price x 3 - that give people 3 weeks worth of 'availability'; trash/recycle.  I have a bunch of rules in step one of that process currently and with maybe one exception I don't plan to re-list.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »
I realized that but the complaints about customs and the past record of of people outside the USA here on LAF essentially saying, "OMG, HOW much?" when (the currently unacceptably high,) postage prices were presented have turned me off from even looking at postage to other countries any more.  All my Ebay auctions are now "US only" in part for that reason...

My new Ebay policy is "auto re-list" at my minimum price x 3 - that give people 3 weeks worth of 'availability'; trash/recycle.  I have a bunch of rules in step one of that process currently and with maybe one exception I don't plan to re-list.

High postage has prevented me from buying stuff in other countries that are high weight metal resin that I would dearly love to own.  Sadly the high postage costs works both ways.   :'(

Gracias,

Glenn