Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689838
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Second Afghan War British Uniforms  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Second Afghan War British Uniforms
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
Hi,

Hope fully someone out there will please be able to help me?

I'm looking for colour plates (or failing that black and white- with some sort of colour description) of British uniforms for the Second Anglo-Afghan War.

Is anyone able to help? It really would be very, very much appreciated.  :)
Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Second Afghan War British Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
There are a couple of relevant Ospreys (MAA 72 and MAA 198 each have two colour plate pages on the topic with three or so types on each), but none that concentrate on that conflict exclusively.

That's all I got, I'm afraid.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »
There are a couple of relevant Ospreys (MAA 72 and MAA 198 each have two colour plate pages on the topic with three or so types on each), but none that concentrate on that conflict exclusively.

That's all I got, I'm afraid.

Thanks Plynkes- appreciated.

I've got the Ospreys but was hoping that there was something more comprehensive(?)  ??? ??? ???

Darrell.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
Would it be worth looking up the various regiments that took part and seeing if they have websites with info available? I had a bash with googling 66th foot and got to the Berkshire regiment website, where the shop has various books available.
Depends whether you want a specific regiment or whether you are after a more generic look, I suppose. Then there's all the Indian troops which may be even harder to find info on.
I have just gone with the generic approach for my NW frontier forces (everything in khaki) but that approach isn't for everyone. There's definitely instances of infantry wearing all khaki, plus instances of khaki jackets with home service trousers. Then there's different colours of puttees... I seem to recall that the 59th foot even wore scarlet jackets at some point. Scottish troops wore either kilts or tartan trousers (can't recall which regt wore which) so it is an interesting one to sort out. Good luck!

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »
There's a few nice plates on the British Battles site - http://www.britishbattles.com/

Just scroll down until you see the 2nd Afghan War on the left and then click on the battles. There's a selection of plates in each section.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:12 PM »
The best thing on this topic is imo the chapter on British and Indian uniforms in the book
by Brian Robson The Road to Kabul (unfortunatly no illustrations)

hope this helps

Carl

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »

Think 'Zulu War', but with more khaki.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »
Brilliant. Now all I need are some British to paint...  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
You really should read this blog if you haven't already. It's fantastic. :D

http://maiwandday.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
There's a few nice plates on the British Battles site - http://www.britishbattles.com/

Just scroll down until you see the 2nd Afghan War on the left and then click on the battles. There's a selection of plates in each section.

Swell stuff!!

Direct links to battles, along with other goodies, may be found HERE:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=23446.0 ,

Sadly whilst searching for the Kipling quote I intended to steal share  I found this painful poem circa 2009:

from The daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1204317/British-soldier-writes-Rudyard-Kipling-poem-damning-attack-conditions.html

Out of idle, rather than mathemagical, curiosity which numeric iteration are we considered to be on TODAY?  
3rd, 4th, 5th?  
Do Russians count?  In the numbering mix I mean.  Or Americans?
Or is this strictly for Soldiers of the Queen/King(s)/Queen spanning the centuries, & 1 millennium?

I look forward to the definitive answers.

Valerik

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
Go, go, go like a soldier,
So-oldier of the Queen!"

Rudyard Kipling 1895

EDIT: added poem
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:43:01 PM by Valerik »
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »
 3rd, 4th, 5th?  
Do Russians count?  In the numbering mix I mean.  Or Americans?
Or is this strictly for Soldiers of the Queen/King(s)/Queen spanning the centuries, & 1 millennium?

It's not the 3rd ... that was a brief affair after WW1. Each nation will number their own conflicts separately, so it can be a bit confusing sometimes. I guess strictly speaking we should be talking about the Anglo-Afghan War, same as the Anglo-Zulu War.

If we count the recent conflict in Afghanistan as a war, I guess it would be the 4th. But does it count as a war if we conduct military ops there at the request of the recognised Afghan government? There's an odd difference between 'war' and 'a war'.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 02:33:20 AM »
That is an odd one. I would say that you are safe to call it the 4 Anglo-Afghan war.
I mean we call the conflict in Vietnam, the Vietnam war. Even though we where technically there at the request of the south Vietnamese government.
At least until the historians come up with the definitive title for it.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 05:09:49 AM »
That is an odd one. I would say that you are safe to call it the 4 Anglo-Afghan war.
I mean we call the conflict in Vietnam, the Vietnam war. Even though we where technically there at the request of the south Vietnamese government.
At least until the historians come up with the definitive title for it.

Interestingly, the Vietnam War was known by the native Vietnamese as a (Vietnamese:) Chiến tranh Việt Nam or the Second Indo China War, The Resistance War against America or simply The  American War. That got me to thinking, what did the Afghans call the series of conflicts with Britain in their own country?

I can't find anything online  :-[ ??? ??? ??? Does anyone have any idea?

Darrell.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
That got me to thinking, what did the Afghans call the series of conflicts with Britain in their own country?

'Next load of stupid foreigners thinking they can beat us on our own turf.'

My brother told me about a meeting one of his mates had with a Taliban elder. The guy said his men fought the British because they were invaders, not because they hated them. He said the Afghans respected the British because in all our wars against each other, neither side was able to win. "You didn't beat us, we didn't beat you."

Well, we left and they stayed, I'd say they probably come out ahead on points at least!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »
'Next load of stupid foreigners thinking they can beat us on our own turf.'

My brother told me about a meeting one of his mates had with a Taliban elder. The guy said his men fought the British because they were invaders, not because they hated them. He said the Afghans respected the British because in all our wars against each other, neither side was able to win. "You didn't beat us, we didn't beat you."

No surprise there! The Afghan nation is one to avoid in terms of warfare that is proven right throughout history!

Well, we left and they stayed, I'd say they probably come out ahead on points at least!

Well yes.  lol

Still, I would like to find out what name/s the wars of the 19thC were given by the Afghans. If anyone has any info I'd be very interested!  ??? ??? ??? :)

Darrell.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:34:11 AM by Atheling »