Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: MDF Buildings weathering question?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
MDF Buildings weathering question?
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
Hi guys,

I've built and painted quite a few MDF sci fi buildings for a skirmish project I've got on the go and I'm stumped as to how to weather them. Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions/recipes etc for this? The buildings have been painted up quite bright with bold colours

Cheers,
Steve

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: MDF Buildings weathering question?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:18:28 PM »
Some brown and black/grey washes at the bottom might be a start. then use the same colours to paint some streaks and smears from the top down (so under roof ledges, window sills etc).

And finally some green near the bottom and in recesses to simulate moss.

those two might go a long way to add some wear  and weather to a building, but of course there is an incredible array of techniques to weather models, such as using pigment powders, oil paints, tea staining, dust, sand, scratching, etc etc...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:41:22 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
For my Cyberpunk buildings I have used an airbrush and rust-coloured paint:

And for this one I did the same, but also used "Track Dirt" from Modelmates to add another layer of grime streaks to the second floor:

“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
They look brilliant Malebolgia! Unfortunately no airbrush  :(

Thanks for the ideas Daeothar

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
Fungus. Kind of out there, but it fits with a lot of sci-fi settings. Alien worlds, cyberpunk futures with pollution-induced mutation and/or genetically engineered "solutions" gone squiffy, etc. Creeping silver fuzz (flock) in the corners, puke-colored marshmallow clusters (crumbled bead foam mixed with PVA) in patches here or there, maybe something of the larger, triffid/Nausicaa variety growing behind the dumpsters out back. You get the idea.

And vermin to match. At gaming scales the occasional cockroach/centipede on the wall or isopod swarm around a corner crevice can just be drawn on with fine-tipped pens. And bird lime in the appropriate places too, of course. In a sci-fi setting, you could actual get pretty creative with vermin and vermin spoor. Alkaline slugs that leave etched trails in walls or sidewalks. Spiders that spin crystalline monofilament webs that'll slice you if you touch them (they build them where rats or birds will run into them, then collect the resulting bits). IMAGINATION!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:38:17 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
Try some weathering powders. You can get very nice results if you don't mind a bit of a mess.

http://warsen.al/blogs/product-updates/8196091-painting-warsenal-s-new-alpha-building-with-secret-weapon-weathering-pigments

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
Posters or graffiti?

Most of my buildings used to have "Soylent Green" adverts etc.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:54:21 AM »

:D

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:24:05 AM »
Really it depends what you are trying to say the building is made of with your paintjob. If you put rust streaks on it, you are suggesting that it is made of metal or has some metal on it somewhere. If you put green patina, you are suggesting copper or brass, ect.
Generally buildings will have either dirt, peeling, wear, or fading; usually a combination of all of them with some patinas and rust in for good measure. If its a sci-fi building made of some futuristic plasti-concrete, dirt, fading and maybe some molds might work out the best.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »
You can also use artist pens. These come in a wide variety of colours. I got mine from the local art shop, (Faber-Castell & Letraset ProMarker are just two of the manufacturers) I use them a lot to show wear & tear on my WW2 vehicles. The browns for dirt, orange for rust, greys for shadows/oil stains/hatch lines etc.
1)use it to draw a line(s) under pipes etc. & just let it dry. OR
2)draw a blodge/streak & (very quickly) put a drop of water (or spit) on to it & smudge it (I use my finger).
 I do spray my models when it is completely dry. I use car (clear) lacquer from Halfords (car bits shop) but will give it a coat of spray Matt later if I want a dry look.
I hope this is of some help.

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
Whats the paint base to, it may effect what you use to stain, weather or rust it up.  I use a number of methods in the 1 model.  Dry brushing to get a worn faded paint look, splatter brushing to mud up, inks to give a rust or liquid weathering.  Tamiya powders etc.  Theres also the rock salt method to produce a flaky paint method.  Dont forget not all metal rusts, aluminum, zinc, galvanized.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
The hairspray and salt technique would work if you were looking for rusty weathered stuff.

loads of tutorials out there.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
Thanks for all the great tips,guys. Much appreciated

I have weathering powders but I'm never sure how to best use them. Also have rust,oil,soot,grease,dirt wash type paints but have always been a bit nervous of using them.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »
If you still have some of the mdf "sprue" that the buildings came on, practice your paint techniques on that - it doesn't matter if you make a mess on that.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »

If you still have some of the mdf "sprue" that the buildings came on, practice your paint techniques on that - it doesn't matter if you make a mess on that.
This.

Thanks for all the great tips,guys. Much appreciated

I have weathering powders but I'm never sure how to best use them. Also have rust,oil,soot,grease,dirt wash type paints but have always been a bit nervous of using them.

Don't be. Jump in with both feet. Just use "safety water". If you don't have left over sprue, you can practice on just about anything. Get a technique you like then carry it over to your expensive MDF model.  :P