Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690927
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My painted Pathfinder character.  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
My painted Pathfinder character.
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:21 PM »
Decades ago I started playing RPG's but I haven't had a game in the past few years for various reasons  :'(. However, a while ago a friend invited me to play Pathfinder and I jumped at the opportunity, even though I'm not a massive fan of fantasy. Anyways, I made my character and wanted a miniature to represent him, after some Googling I found Gungnor, Half Orc Monk (Reaper) which, oddly enough I got cheaper sent to me from the States than to buy here in the UK  ;).

This is my first (and probably only fantasy mini, my interests lie elsewhere), but I'm quite happy with the result (cheap gloss white primer from Poundland, one layer block paint and brushed on Army Painter Strong Tone).

I give you FIVE AUTUMN JOONG!!!  :D

EDIT: Apologies for the poor picture quality, looked a lot better on the camera  :(.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:28:30 PM by Legionnaire »
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: My painted Pathfinder character.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:10:39 PM »
Looks good to me!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 12:37:10 AM »
Very nice. He looks nice and menacing.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
He is an IMPRESSIVE looking Brute...I love the colors you chose. GREAT WORK!
Enjoy your return to Role Playing!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen! Yes, I did like the look of the mini from the start (not many Half Orc Monks to choose from out there...), its chunky and quite cool  ;).

NB: He is also not only my first fantasy mini, but also the first one I've used WHITE basecoat for!!!

As an aside, he is not the hulking, menacing brute that he seems  :D!! In a movie adaptation he would be voiced by Ron Pearlman and portrayed as a mix of Ghandi and Swarzenegger  lol!!!

If anyone is even remotely interested, below is the background story draft I wrote before creating the character. Sometimes I break the mould...  ;). The GM suggested to replace a Class skill with Heal as a consequence of that and I chose Intimidation.

FIVE AUTUMN JOONG (Half Orc Monk)
This is not the name he was born with, but the name he was given when taken up in the Brotherhood of The Golden Bell Pagoda. Five is the number of times he was turned down by the Grandmaster (you still harbour too much Rage inside, grasshopper!!!), Autumn because like the season it changed him into something completely different (in his case, a more harmonious being) and Joong because when he became accepted it rained, a cleansing, fresh autumn rain welcomed him into the Brotherhoods ranks.

But his beginnings were less than auspicious. Hated, feared and despised for his heritage, Joong was a very angry man from the start and always in trouble. His home was not much to write about, both parents were lowlifes with substance problems and Joong drifted on the streets. By the time he was 14 his home was the streets and the ale houses, he brawled too much, drank too much and was on a fast track straight into the gutter. Joong finally messed up badly and had to hastily leave the town in shambles, he had beaten the son to an influential citizen within an inch of his life. Suddenly Joong found himself truly cast out from the only society he knew, it was a frightening experience as now he was truly alone. He roamed the countryside aimlessly, more due to luck than anything else he prevailed, stealing a chicken here, begged for alms there, drank the leftovers from yesterday’s drinks in the alley behind the alehouse, he had hit rock bottom.

He was so used to being treated like an animal that when the kind man with the smiling face had shared his meal with him, Joong didn’t really know how to behave, naturally he behaved the only way he knew, bullying the small man, but he didn’t seem to be afraid of Joong in the least. When the food was gone, he had been absolutely starving of course, the little man looked at him with a penetrating stare that seemed to look straight into Joong’s soul, he had never contemplated if he had one, and said: “This life you lead will only bring Ruin and Death for you, within one year your bones will be feed for the worms. I see someone who’s been waiting for a purpose all his life but never given the chance to fulfil his Destiny. The brothers of the Golden Bell Pagoda can set you upon your path, but only if you show the perseverance that is demanded.” And with these words the little man bade farewell.

Joong made inquiries and found out that it was many days, maybe even weeks travel to the Golden Bell Pagoda but the man’s prophecy had sounded so convincing that he set off. The path he had taken ran through wilderness, a hostile environment sometimes but the worst bit was the lack of alcohol or anything to numb himself with. For days he shook, shivered, ranted and raved while all the poison he had accumulated slowly left his body and on the fourth day he found a completely new experience, clear thought. Days later he reached the small monastery that was his destination, and with a trembling hand he pulled the rope to a bell to announce his arrival. The door opened and the little funny man took one glance at him and said: “Too ugly!” and shut the door in his face again! Joong was left gaping in astonishment, how did the little git dare to treat him like that? Furiously he pulled the bell again, and when the little man opened the door again Joong took a swing at him that would teach him a lesson, but the man evaded his blow with ease, “too much rage!” and slammed the door shut again. Despite Joong pounding the door, screaming profanities and pulling the bell cord until it broke, no one came out again that day.

Three more times he was denied access to the monastery, “you still stink of drink!”, “you have too much anger inside you” and other taunts were thrown in his face, but he did think of the little man’s phrase “but only if you show the perseverance that it demanded,” so he decided to persevere. Five times he was denied but the sixth time the little man, who was the abbot, let him in. Joong was hungry, thirsty and his clothes were in tatters, inside a small gathering of monks watched him with very mixed feelings, there were humans, elves and even a couple of haflings, but no other half orcs. He was given a fresh cooked meal and new adept clothes and the following morning there was a small naming ceremony to signify that Joong had been accepted into the Brotherhood of The Golden Pagoda. For the next several years Joong turned from professional bum to a very promising and valuable brother. He learned to control his rage and becoming more focused and was accepted as the only student to the Ki-Gram Master who taught Joong about remedies, ailments and treatments. An abnormal condition left him for dead and as the brothers were about to consecrate his mortal coil to the Great Beyond, he sat up on his funeral pyre and let out a gasp!!! In his passing from the world of the living he had heard a disembodied voice saying that it was not time yet to gather his essence, he had been given a second chance. After this Joong had a very long conversation with the abbot and both agreed that he needed to go out in the world to find this new purpose that he had been spared for. His travels have now brought him to Osirion but the purpose is still unclear, maybe the tombs can provide some guidance?  Although it’s been many years since, recently he has begun to wonder what really became of Gainen, the young fop that he so savagely beat.

Appearance: Five Autumn Joong is about 6’6”, 300 lbs and well built, he looks a decade older due to his previous reckless lifestyle but is only 25. He is dressed in a sleeveless simple monk robe in gold and blue with sandals on his massive feet. The hair is kept short and seems to be cut by his own hand; several poorly depicted tattoos can be seen on his arms, legs and chest. Despite the fearsome appearance he seems to radiate peace.

Personality: Although he has learned restraint, he hasn’t mastered it. He still has “issues” with the world but thanks to his training he can cope with it, most of the time. Joong has learned self-respect and reliance and walks with his head held high and long strides, confident in his abilities and his every right to exist on his terms. Having been there himself, he can usually be found giving comfort to other down and outs, without giving any sermons.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

STR 16 +3   Hit Points: 11 (8 Monk, 2 CON, +1 Favoured Class)
DEX 14 +2   Fortitude: +4
CON 14 +2   Reflex: +4
INT 10 +0   Will: +4
WIS 14 +2      
CHA 10 +0

Heal 1 +2 - +3= 6
Perception 1 +2 - +3= 6
Sense Motive 1 +2 - +3= 6
Acrobatics 1 +2 - +3= 6
Diplomacy 0 +0 - +2= 2

RACIAL TRAITS      TRAITS
Darkvision (60ft)      Patient Optimist (+2 Diplomacy)
Intimidating (+2)      Resurrected (+2 vs Death, die at CON+4 negative HP)
Orc Blood
Orc Ferocity
Weapon Familiarity (Greataxe, Falchion, ORC)

MONK FEATS         FEATS
Flurry of Blows (-1, two attacks)   Dodge
AC Bonus (WIS)      
Unarmed Strike (1D6)
Deflect Arrows
Monk Weapon Familiarity
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:16:58 PM by Legionnaire »

Offline Lordblackwing

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »
Well written backstory. Makes me want to join your group. ;)
A fellow follower of the Lead Mountain

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
Well written backstory. Makes me want to join your group. ;)

Thank you very much  :). Whenever I play I sit down and jot down some backstory that I find interesting and usually I end up with a character I really want to play, occasionally I go off the beaten path and I have to say I'm very pleased with this.

It's also nice to be a player for once, in the last decade I've mostly been the GM for superhero genre, old west (my personal favourite), horror (Chill-esque one-shot) and some post apocalyptic games.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »
Indeed. A very interesting background which brings to life the lovely miniature all the more. Good stuff.