Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux Hired Swords  (Read 11048 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: Malifaux Hired Swords
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
I think these look amazing!

Out of interest, are these your "best quality" commission level?

They were supposed to be quicker paint jobs but I sometimes find it hard to cut corners on certain types of sculpts so I ended up putting more work into these than planned. Bit of a failure on my part really I guess.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 07:26:13 PM »
Bit of a failure on my part really I guess.

Maybe, but then again that attention to detail speaks for itself; I've never seriously considered commissioning a paintjob before, but now... Well, I'm thinking about it!  lol

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
Maybe, but then again that attention to detail speaks for itself; I've never seriously considered commissioning a paintjob before, but now... Well, I'm thinking about it!  lol

personally i would never commission to paint a miniature for my personal use.

But if i'm going to produce some minis, you will be my painter 100%. :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
Great job. Those have really turned out well!

Indeed!!
 :-* :-* :-*

I cannot believe that someone would send you 'Bones' figures to paint.... o_o o_o
If you are going to pay a top painter, buy top quality figures for him to paint.
That only makes sense, surely....?

That was my thought! Painting commissions aren't cheap. If you're actually paying someone to paint the figure, why send a $1 figure when the identical-but-vastly-superior metal version is only $6-$8 or so?  o_o

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Great job. Those have really turned out well!

That was my thought! Painting commissions aren't cheap. If you're actually paying someone to paint the figure, why send a $1 figure when the identical-but-vastly-superior metal version is only $6-$8 or so?  o_o

1) Because I am on a limited budget but it is specific RPG figure that of what my character has.

2) Because my painting is minimally acceptable for war games and not at all acceptable for anything requiring more skill/details.

3) Because the wife wants a particular figure painted for some special personal reason so I get the figure but get a better paint job than I can produce.

4)  Because a $1 good figure is much more pleasing than a $6-8 excellent figure (I expect wear and tear plus the occasional drop/knock off the table) for leadership figures for my armies,  Grunts top out around $4,  (of course the Reaper figures I want are in the $2.99 to $5.99 range - nothing out there past $7.00 appeals to me since I don't have figures that I deem as "too good for the war game table" in my collection.  Chips happen.)  I don't want an accidentally damaged figure to affect who I play war games with.  And I know a seriously damaged $10+ figure would affect that.

5) Because I don't automatically deem metal figures as superior.  Most are more detailed but not all.  Also, details for groups of grunts often don't get painted for troops "inside" a formation because it slows units on the table production.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
1) Because I am on a limited budget but it is specific RPG figure that of what my character has.

2) Because my painting is minimally acceptable for war games and not at all acceptable for anything requiring more skill/details.

3) Because the wife wants a particular figure painted for some special personal reason so I get the figure but get a better paint job than I can produce.

4)  Because a $1 good figure is much more pleasing than a $6-8 excellent figure (I expect wear and tear plus the occasional drop/knock off the table) for leadership figures for my armies,  Grunts top out around $4,  (of course the Reaper figures I want are in the $2.99 to $5.99 range - nothing out there past $7.00 appeals to me since I don't have figures that I deem as "too good for the war game table" in my collection.  Chips happen.)  I don't want an accidentally damaged figure to affect who I play war games with.  And I know a seriously damaged $10+ figure would affect that.

5) Because I don't automatically deem metal figures as superior.  Most are more detailed but not all.  Also, details for groups of grunts often don't get painted for troops "inside" a formation because it slows units on the table production.

Gracias,

Glenn

Actually Glenn, none of the 5 points replies at his question: the point is not why having Bones (i do and i love them) but why using them for a pro-painter? The finished piece would cost 31$ instead of 36$, for a much blurry and inconsistent result.
Again, i LOVE bones and i think that for their price the quality is excellent, but still that doesn't explain the point.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 01:51:46 AM »
Super looking figures.
So, so nice. :-* :-* :-*
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
Waoh Stunning.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »
 :o :o.....been away hence only just coming across this post...came back and started to trawl the forum to get some inspiration for Malifaux and WOW !!! Superb painting sir !.....I really like the new Malifaux figures and have bought a few purely for the challenge/pleasure of painting them (although I don't have a spare few years to get my head around the rules)....your paintwork has rekindled my interest - I particularly like the skin tones you have achieved...brings life to those tiny pieces of plastic
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
Hey those kids are real beauties. I mean the painting and all  :-*
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 09:04:50 AM »
Great looking miniatures.

Tony

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
Awesome paint job
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »
:o :o.....been away hence only just coming across this post...came back and started to trawl the forum to get some inspiration for Malifaux and WOW !!! Superb painting sir !.....I really like the new Malifaux figures and have bought a few purely for the challenge/pleasure of painting them (although I don't have a spare few years to get my head around the rules)....your paintwork has rekindled my interest - I particularly like the skin tones you have achieved...brings life to those tiny pieces of plastic

Glad they've got your brushes itching.  ;)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
Lovely work.  First really good paint job I've seen on those.  Wasn't sold on the resculpted figures of those models, but you're making me reconsider their merits, fiddly assembly or no.  Certainly enjoyed painting and playing with the old metal versions - wonder how they perform on the tabletop in 2.0.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 09:45:34 PM »
They are fantastically well painted figures.   :)