Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Quick and the Dead...Dead Man's Hand AAR  (Read 4528 times)

Offline Twin Cities Gamer

• Bookworm
    • Twin Cities Gamer
The Quick and the Dead...Dead Man's Hand AAR
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:30:42 PM »
I got my newly painted Pinkerton and Banditos gangs on the table for the Judge Barker scenario in DMH.  It was a great game that went down to the wire.  My AAR is a long post so I put the report up on my blog. DMH has turned out to be the surprise hit in our group for 2014 and it's going to stay in heavy rotation. 

My painting and gaming blog:  Twin Cities Gamer

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
Re: The Quick and the Dead...Dead Man's Hand AAR
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »
That's a very cool setup and nice AAR.
Great show, thanks for sharing.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »

Very nice. Did you use a "straight from the bottle color" on the blueish-grey wagon? Look like it could be the perfect color for my WWI French guns, carts, etc.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

• Bookworm
    • Twin Cities Gamer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:24:06 PM »
Thanks fellows!  I played this game shortly after a Field of Glory match.  As much as I adore ancients, FoG can't compete as far as fun and laughs go.  The contrast between the two was one of the reasons I'm selling most of my FoG armies.  Time to double down on games that are fun! 

Calimero, the wagon presented me with a dilemma since I don't have an airbrush.  I primed it black and then used Armory Gray Primer as a "cheat" airbrush.  I hit it hard from the top and very light from the sides so that the black primer peeks through as a shadow effect.  Then a light gray drybrush and done.  I have a close-up of the wagon posted up on my blog here:

All these words and I don't think I'm any help at all this time. 

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:00:36 PM »
Yep, as far as skirmish games go - I find they tend to be more fun and frantic.  I've ditched any game which requires "armies" for skirmish games.  I haven't looked back - been very happy.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

• Bookworm
    • Twin Cities Gamer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »
Elbows, you are spot on.  Now that I think about it, all the new games I'm playing lately are skirmish games. Dux Britanniarum, Chain of Command, SAGA and Dead Man's Hand.  If I can carve out a spot, I want to try Ronin too! 

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
Could I ask, (well, I guess I can ask, more like "Could you answer") where did you get your game mat?  It looks about perfect!  Was it just a piece of cloth, a manufactured cloth, or did you make it yourself?  Great looking game!  Really want to try out some Dead Man's Hand now.

• Bookworm
    • Twin Cities Gamer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
Hentzau, I remember you from Octopus Overlords!  You are THAT hentzau, right?  I was helot2000, a 1,000+ post member who never did rise out of obscurity. Once I started my gaming blog, I discovered a man cannot serve two masters...  ;)

My buddy Hugh says it is a Monday Knight Productions desert mat. Hope that helps! We're up in the Twin Cities.  If you find yourself in the area, maybe we could get a game in.   

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:49:05 PM by Twin Cities Gamer »

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »
Hentzau, I remember you from Octopus Overlords!  You are THAT hentzau, right?  I was helot2000, a 1,000+ post member who never did rise out of obscurity. Once I started my gaming blog, I discovered a man cannot serve two masters...  ;)

My buddy Hugh says it is a Monday Knight Productions desert mat. Hope that helps! We're up in the Twin Cities.  If you find yourself in the area, maybe we could get a game in.   

Wow!  You have the right Hentzau!  Nice to hear from you!  I guess the name and identical avatar is a bit of a giveaway, huh?

I'd love to stop by at some point.  My eldest is going to be going to school in Decorah, which is...well, it's still a ways away from the Twin Ciites, but a heck of a lot closer than Chicago.  Or, you come down for OctoCon in October, and we'll throw some cowboys on the table!

And thanks for the info on the mat.  That may be just what the doctor ordered!