Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Whither to comrades?  (Read 6433 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Whither to comrades?
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »
As many of you know Charles and I pitched the 1930's version of IHMN to Osprey last year but it was essentially  turned down. However, quite a few of you have expressed interest in a version covering the 1920's & 30's.

So, if we produced this would you support it? The options include:
1. A full print version, though this would have to wait until after Daisho, so we're talking late 2015 at the very earliest (and probably 2016).
2. A straight Pdf version, possibly sold through a service like Lulu so you could print it if you wished. This would not have the full graphic treatment a book would have.
3. Released in instalments like IHMN Gothic, with the option of buying a print version at the end.

The second question, and this one may turn out to be more partisan. We could approach this version of the game from a number of directions. For example:
1. Have it as a continuation of the IHMN milieu.
2. Have its own, completely separate backstory.
3. Base it once again in Britain/Europe, it being an absolutely fascinating period of history, or in the USA? In either case it could be expanded like IHMN to cover more global concerns.

The third question. Straight Pulp is all well and good, but we are thinking giving it a similar treatment to IHMN with lost of fantastical options. Should we include Golden Age Superheroes/Ubermensch in the mix?
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Whither to comrades?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »
As for format I always prefer a hard copy (backed by an e-version), there's something about having something 'real' which still appeals to me. I am sort of surprised that Osprey don't seem keen all the same... especially given some of the topics they have covered.

The second question is going to result in a whole range of responses, many of them from the same people, as the era is so rich. I don't like 'super powers' myself (so Batman yes, Superman no), but it is very much in keeping with the subject and as much as I'd like not to see rules for it, you really can't ignore them.

I wouldn't mind sticking to the IHMN 'world' as long as it was intelligently done. While this seems odd given we are talking a world where super-heroes might exist, a reality check is still required for the setting. The impact of the Great War on individuals was a constant thread in stories, as was the case with WWII for those in the '50s, so at the very least there would have to have been something similar gone on in the recent past. 

Of course creating a somewhat different 'dieselpunk' setting as a back drop opens up all sorts of opportunities. While I wouldn't go to some of the extremes of the 'Sky Captain' movie, the concept of a 1930s where WWII is always on the horizon (or happening somewhere else, or on a smaller scale, whatever), but never actually starts (or becomes a sort of Cold War), gives you immense scope for your adventures. 

Providing there is an overarching plot line as a guide to keep things on course, the fan base will fill in the detail I'm sure.

:)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »
As for format I always prefer a hard copy (backed by an e-version), there's something about having something 'real' which still appeals to me. I am sort of surprised that Osprey don't seem keen all the same... especially given some of the topics they have covered.

<snip>

100% agree with this statement.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
<snip>

The second question, and this one may turn out to be more partisan. We could approach this version of the game from a number of directions. For example:
1. Have it as a continuation of the IHMN milieu.
2. Have its own, completely separate backstory.
3. Base it once again in Britain/Europe, it being an absolutely fascinating period of history, or in the USA? In either case it could be expanded like IHMN to cover more global concerns.

<snip>

1) 100% rating from me

2) Minus 100% rating - I have viable rules available so why buy another stand alone?  IHMN's unity makes it the main (sole?) exception to my THW rules addiction.  Stand alone won't get my money.

3) Ethnocentric being that I am this depends on how much of a balance is found.  TBD.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »
<snip>

The third question. Straight Pulp is all well and good, but we are thinking giving it a similar treatment to IHMN with lost of fantastical options. Should we include Golden Age Superheroes/Ubermensch in the mix?

Oddly attracted and repulsed by this idea but I am not sure why.  I have Supers and Fantasy rules - what would I gain from this?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »
<snip>

I wouldn't mind sticking to the IHMN 'world' as long as it was intelligently done. While this seems odd given we are talking a world where super-heroes might exist, a reality check is still required for the setting. The impact of the Great War on individuals was a constant thread in stories, as was the case with WWII for those in the '50s, so at the very least there would have to have been something similar gone on in the recent past. 

Of course creating a somewhat different 'dieselpunk' setting as a back drop opens up all sorts of opportunities. While I wouldn't go to some of the extremes of the 'Sky Captain' movie, the concept of a 1930s where WWII is always on the horizon (or happening somewhere else, or on a smaller scale, whatever), but never actually starts (or becomes a sort of Cold War), gives you immense scope for your adventures. 

Providing there is an overarching plot line as a guide to keep things on course, the fan base will fill in the detail I'm sure.

<snip>

First paragraph is insightful and I agree 99%.

The second I want to agree with but "Diesel punk" is not a good vibe for me personally.

Last sentence is true.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
This has potential, even just in its geographical scope. Frankly you could churn out a new 'city' every week and still find takers.

Looking outside the obvious USA, UK and Western Europe options, you have archeological adventures just about anywhere on the planet, the growth of the Zionist v Arab v Western powers conflict in Palestine, the break-up of the various Imperial colonies, the popularity of occult societies, new Soviet Russia, Japan and China going at it hammer and tongs, you name it and there's a pulp book about it somewhere.

I'm currently reading Talbot Mundy (set in 1920's Palestine) and it's utterly fascinating to see what we think of as modern tensions being played out nearly a century ago in much the same way.

So my answer are - yes, a nice glossy book.

Stay in the IHMN universe for continuity.

Start with a particular 'base' setting - whether that be US, UK or whatever, but then  throw open the possibility for expansions across the globe. This sounds like an opportunity for community writing projects, with fans writing your expansions for you.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:23:08 AM »
<snip> This sounds like an opportunity for community writing projects, with fans writing your expansions for you.

"Double-edged sword" response.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline archdukek

• Student
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
Craig,
Personally I find these days that I increasingly end up buying both a PDF and hard copy of the rules I like and play with most frequently. Buying a PDF allows me to check out if I like the rules enough to play them and allows me to keep them on my IPad for easy accessibility if I'm not at home. Down the Club I will usually turn to my hard copy if I need to look up something, but then I'm an ancient soul. Some of the younger gamers use their tablets all the time.

It is for you to judge but there is much more financial risk for you and Charles if you choose the hard copy route, not to mention the distribution issues, especially if you print in colour.

As to which approach you should follow, I think you should go with whatever you and Charles find to be the most creatively stimulating. If you enjoy writing them I'm sure that will be reflected in the end product.

Extending the IHMN universe to this time period has definitive attraction, but the challenge would be how you would handle the inevitable war between the Great Powers. Starting afresh in the 20s allows you to simply take as given the outcome of the historic war and build on it.

Another thought, IHMN has its own background but fits into a wider genre of books, films, etc. which can be drawn upon to help flesh out the background or provide a rationale for creating companies. It's not operating in a blank landscape It would be desirable I suggest to be able to tap into the existing rich vein of resource available in the Pulp era for any new rules.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
John

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »
The second I want to agree with but "Diesel punk" is not a good vibe for me personally.

Fair comment, I was struggling for a buzz word... I don't want to see flying aircraft carriers, or a 1930's internet perhaps, but it isn't exactly going to be 'historical' either. As much as I dislike adding 'punk' to everything, it seemed to be the most recognisable term.

:)

+1 For what Cubs and Archdukek said... an option is to distribute a hard copy via Lulu, presuming that is financially viable for us customers and also that you get a reasonable financial return from that method.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
Fair comment, I was struggling for a buzz word... I don't want to see flying aircraft carriers, or a 1930's internet perhaps, but it isn't exactly going to be 'historical' either. As much as I dislike adding 'punk' to everything, it seemed to be the most recognisable term.

<snip>

Okay, I see where you were going.

Gracias,

glenn

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
I'd like a printed copy somewhere in there. I'd always be afraid of accidentally sitting on a tablet. On the other hand, I suppose the future beckons. If only it were progress too...

Lots available in the thirties and thereabouts. My favourites would be the hard boiled noir/detective (Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe, Hercule Poirot) followed by sci-fi (Flash Gordon - have you seen Hydra miniature?) followed by the political struggles and then the superhero genre. Superheroes are alright but superpowers could be a struggle. The period was dominated in terms of power by America, Europe and Japan but, in terms of imagination, by America. So that's how I'd centre the concept. On the other hand, we are in England...  A continuation of IHMN? I think the charm and interest of the thirties belongs to the thirties itself. It's a reflection of what people held to be true, or held to be possible, then, rather than forty years before.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
Indeed, the Victorian era belonged to Britain in a cultural sense, while the '30s were pretty much within the 'American Century'. Obviously that does not shut out the rest of the world, nor preclude dominance by other countries in particular areas (German airships, Italian seaplanes etc.).

The hard-boiled fiction route might be hard to pull off, as the characters tend to be loners... although this is their world when all's said and done. 

If a semi-historical (adjusted for what happens in and after IHMN) setting is not the road this goes down perhaps it could go down some form of dystopian route? Something along the lines of It can't happen here perhaps, but not quite so extreme, as after all your characters need space to move around. I'm thinking right-wing restrictive, Edgar Hoover-Corporate Police State and/or a heavy form of McCarthyism, rather than 'Jackboots on the Potomac'.

The rest of the world would fall in line with how you see the Great War panning out. Was it longer? More destructive? Did the Central Powers win? Was there a revolution in Russia?

Just throwing this out there btw...  :)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
<snip>
Just throwing this out there btw...  :)

Lot of material for discussion (and some danger of politics creeping in) so I was wondering if we needed a stand alone thread?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 03:33:46 AM »
As many of you know Charles and I pitched the 1930's version of IHMN to Osprey last year but it was essentially  turned down. However, quite a few of you have expressed interest in a version covering the 1920's & 30's.

So, if we produced this would you support it? The options include:

Yes! I like having both a digital copy and a hard copy. I'd prefer something like Wargames Vault to the other services, I just find it works very well as a customer.

The second question, and this one may turn out to be more partisan. We could approach this version of the game from a number of directions.

I'd like to see it in the same timeline as IHMN. I think it would work very well.

I like the idea of going dieselpunk/pulp in this. I would be a bit disappointed with high powered superheroes to be honest.

I'd really love to see something that would allow me to play in the 19XX sort of world.

I'm also curious about something else: How would you feel about others using your core system to design games? I think it would be fantastic for a few things, including Lovecraftian Horror.