Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What happens to your collection when you're gone?  (Read 14586 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: What happens to your collection when you're gone?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
It is a well known fact that the day you have painted all your miniatures is the day you die.

And by that same logic I am going to live forever!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »
I think the only reason I give much of a damn about my minis at all is because they're painted. My wife states she would probably just keep the painted ones if I were to predecease her. Of course that's a bit easier to say because my painted minis only take up three small cases... so far (PA has ramped me up such that one of those casefuls is from this year alone).

Though with rare stuff I tend to think of other gamers a bit. There are things I managed to find which were rare or limited and maybe someone else really would like that. If my stuff all gets binned, that makes those minis just that little bit less accessible and a little bit more the province of rich sods. I feel for the gamer who's been trying for years to find some hard-to-find gem - it's easy for me to understand that collector bug!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:04:10 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
It is a well known fact that the day you have painted all your miniatures is the day you die.

Hmm damn good logic here, must buy more minis haha  lol
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
They will probably be melted down for bullets for black powder weapons in the Zombie Apocalypse?   ;)   o_o   lol

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »

One of my old gaming friends actually did die within days of finishing his long term Seven Years War Project...I have thousands of minis yet to go as a consequence.
As far as my stuff, I'm not a collector & haven't had an opportunity or really an inclination to game in long years. I'm into creating various thingies; once completed giving them away or, when money is short, selling them would be cool with moi, but I'd like to see the expression on the Guy/Gal's face as I hand the whatever to them.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
If there are friends or family with interest - pass those pieces to the person with interest in them.

After all toys are to be enjoyed.

If there is value, make sure she has someone to help selling those pieces (see the first comment). She should get some benefit from putting up with it for all those years.

What's left, make my urn out of, and stick me in there.

Label it with my name and OOP in large letters.

Painting it is optional of course.

Offline Buff Orpington

• Assistant
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »
My son will get the job of dealing with it. Hopefully he will keep what he wants. He knows how much the Battletech stuff is worth.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 05:37:55 PM »
We recently helped a gaming friends widow dispose of his large collection. He had indicated prior to his passing that his frequent gaming friends could each have one of his armies. The rest was sold to those of us who knew him and the money given to his widow. Both our local game stores purchased some of the materiel and resold it as well.

The point is we should plan for what is to happen. The gaming community we hang with may be very willing to help if we do not have family to do it for us. I personally have cataloged everything along with ideas as to who is to get what and where the rest can be sold. My children and grandchildren will take most of it I suspect and the rest will be sold or donated to my gaming friends.

As to value some collectible stuff can bring a good price. I recently sold some of my collection of board games and was able to earn a good chunk of change. Value of anything depends on a number of factors (Age, condition desirability etc) But even given that anything is better then nothing. We buy our toys to enjoy not as an financial investment after all.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »
I've learnt not to care. My family doesn't appreciate the hobby at all, neither do most of my friends. Thus, should I meet an untimely end my collection will most likely get scrapped. And I wouldn't want to bother my dear ones anyway. It's been established here that even 'people in the know' often have a hard time reselling miniatures. Why would I want to give the impression all those models are a hoard of gold? That's just as bad as the grandparents' collection of porcelain cats – maybe once expensive and held in high esteem, now useless scrap to anyone else, if not an item of grief.

Brace yourselves, I've actually binned figures and hobby stuff myself, and I'm prepared to do it again! (Despite there's not much left at the moment.) It's the easiest way to get rid of stuff literally no one wants – if not for free, overseas postage included. Don't mention charity, e.g. schools round here aren't even interested in mint-condition books, let alone wargaming figures. Definitely not worth the hassle.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
schools round here aren't even interested in mint-condition books, let alone wargaming figures.

Pity you aren't near my school, I always take anything........
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »
Oh that is appalling, but sadly not surprising.

In the UK the average O-level grades in English are down this year. Whenever we have to shortlist for vacancies I am obliged to read CV's and application forms in which the applicant is unable to write a six word sentence without errors or even comprehensibility.

I have honestly seen "I is a gud team palyer."

That's a really bad sentence, although the palyer mistake could be easily corrected if they cared to read their text again. Regarding the subject of this thread, way to young to think of that and my collection isn't that big yet  ;)
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 03:33:59 AM »
Have them all buried alongside me as some sort of terracotta army. Sorry if someone has already said that...

Offline Monstrum

• Assistant
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34:35 AM »
hopefully  I'll have a kid someday and he/she/ll inherit it ... if not as Bergil said "Have them all buried alongside me as some sort of terracotta army."
"When I die bury me upside down, so the world can kiss my ass."

former user

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
"Have them all buried alongside me as some sort of terracotta army."

actually illustrates very well certain psychological aspects of gaming with miniatures that I have always suspected to play a rather major role in this hobby, especially when it comes to large armies....

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
At this rate, if I live to be 83 the pile of stuff should have sufficient mass to implode and form the core of a new star, problem solved.
At this rate, however, I will not live to be 83  ;D