Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:56:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Using the back of floor tiles  (Read 1329 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Using the back of floor tiles
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
I picked up a pack of Homebase Oxford Blue floor tiles to turn into a river for my portable wargame but should have read the box (and Erics website a bit better) as the tiles themselves are sticky backed...  My only excuse is that the Grimsby store is/was closing down (I did not know) and these had a discount on them o_o so I could not resist a bargain.

As I am not edging them with flock I wondered about using the back as roads / tracks but how do I finish them?

Do I use paper / card and print then just stick it on them?  My concern is the glue coming through or paper peeling off
Do I use sand?  Risk here is this scratching the surface of the board

Any ideas folks?

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Using the back of floor tiles
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »
I picked up a pack of Homebase Oxford Blue floor tiles to turn into a river for my portable wargame but should have read the box (and Erics website a bit better) as the tiles themselves are sticky backed...  My only excuse is that the Grimsby store is/was closing down (I did not know) and these had a discount on them o_o so I could not resist a bargain.

As I am not edging them with flock I wondered about using the back as roads / tracks but how do I finish them?

Do I use paper / card and print then just stick it on them?  My concern is the glue coming through or paper peeling off
Do I use sand?  Risk here is this scratching the surface of the board

Any ideas folks?

If you're making actual, flat tiles with them, the best thing to do is to measure out your tiles and adjust them to fit the most possible on one tile at a time, then also take a sheet of contact paper to put on top and let it sit for a few hours with weights to keep it flat after working airbubbles out of it. Overnight is a good time to wait and then cut your tiles out of it.

This makes the tiles far more durable and keeps the detail crisp, it also means that if you have whiteboard markers, you can write or make notations directly on it and clean them off.