Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:43:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689506
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Example Victorian Steel Battle in words , Maps and photographs  (Read 3833 times)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
Example Victorian Steel Battle in words , Maps and photographs

The idea here is to demonstrate some of the key features of the rules by playing a reasonable sized Indian Mutiny encounter

The forces were as follows
British
An 8 Company Brigade of 4 elite, Enfield rifle armed British and 4 trained,  Musket armed Sikhs. All European trained taking 4 and 3 hits respectively.
A 4 Company cavalry brigade of 3 elite sword and carbine armed British cavalry and 1 elite medium horse artillery battery. All European trained taking 4 hits and all counting as armed with melee weapon for willingness to charge and standing against a charge tests.

The temperature was in the high 90’s so sunstroke affected the British (P25) and luckily only 1 member of the horse artillery succumbed.

Mutineer
A 4 company brigade of 4 trained sword and carbine armed cavalry, armed with melee weapon for willingness to charge and standing against a charge tests.
An 8 company  brigade of trained musket armed sepoys, all classed as European trained.
A 4 company brigade of 2 trained heavy guns and their supporting 2 companies of trained musket armed sepoys, all emplaced in an earthwork.
An 8 company brigade of 8 companies of third rate tribal forces armed with muskets and melee weapons for the above tests.
Each brigade had a leader none of whom had any of the attributes or failings set out on P24 of the rules.

The objective of the game was the redoubt and under the fatigue rules we calculated the British having 8 turns plus a random roll made on turn 8 before the effects of fatigue (on P25 of the rules) hit them.

Map 1 shows the initial deployment with the wooded hill on the Mutineer right having potential for hidden movement P 28.

upload

So initiative was rolled for with the British having an advantage and moving first. Infantry achieved two orders and cavalry one, so the horse artillery moved, unlimbered and fired forcing one company of mutineer cavalry back 12”

image hosting over 10mb

The mutineers responded with the tribal force achieving three orders and using hidden movement (P 28) and achieving a 48” move by rolling a 3

screen shot windows

print screen windows xp

To finish off a good turn for the enemies of the Queen the artillery achieved a double shot (P9) all hitting one company of hapless British infantry who were driven back 6” and already at half strength! ( they traded the first casualty for a push back) (P11)

image upload

The situation at the end of turn one is shown on map 2.

image url upload

Turn two started with the British again winning the initiative and moving first. The small brigade got two orders and the cavalry charged its counterpart winning the melee and subsequent follow up and wiping out a company of Mutineer cavalry at little cost to themselves.

image hosting over 2mb

free upload pictures

temp image upload

Both sides passed their respective tests to charge and stand against a charge with no ill effects, and the subsequent morale test caused by the loss of a company was also successful.

The British infantry brigade failed to receive any orders and rumblings about how hot it was were heard from the British ranks!

The Mutineers had no such problems. The tribal forces erupted from the woods following their hidden movement deploying on the flank of the British line.

click image upload

Along the line the artillery continued to punish the British infantry disrupting its line,

free image host

and the British cavalry suffered the loss of a base from musketry fire combined with the previous turns melee casualty.

online photo storage

The British were unlucky in that all the allocated casualties fell on the already weakened company (P15)

The situation at the end of turn two is shown on map 3.

image hosting site over 5mb

Turn three started with the British once again winning the initiative. Their advantage in European training and force leadership giving them a plus 2 on the roll required to win.

The Enfield rifle now came into range and along with the muskets scored 10 hits which when allocated forced all of the facing stands back 6” as well as wiping one out. They also elected to break down one company as skirmishers to hold off the flank threat.

free adult image hosting

The cavalry failed to receive an order so remained stationery with their carbines proving ineffective.

post image

The Mutineers started their turn with a morale roll as they lost one stand. Anything but a 1 would be a success so they rolled a 1. Halt!

The other brigade rolled three successes but with nothing in range could not take advantage of a double shot. The artillery continued to snipe at the British line causing some casualties.

The flanking force sprang into life obtaining two orders and electing to pin the flank of the company with half the infantry and outflanking with the rest.

screen shot on windows
The situation is shown on map 4.

MAP 4

image upload

Turn four commenced with the British winning the initiative and moving their left hand companies to face the threat from the tribal forces. After movement they fired but all missed.

The mutineers fared even worse not achieving a single order!. Their fire did force back the British stands and the deployed skirmishers who were grateful for the firing deduction for their open order status (P11)

The situation is shown on map 5.

adult image

Turn five and once again the British are on the move , winning initiative and falling back to long range for their enfields,  picking up a few hits on the mutineers on the way. A fairly quiet move as both sides draw breath. The Mutineers again having a severe case of order blight only the tribals being able to move and closing the range on the British skirmishers and wiping them out, as well as causing hits on the remaining companies. The close range cancelled out the open order advantage and sheer volume of fire caused the destruction.

pictures upload

As Europeans the British brigade do not need a morale test on the loss of one stand.

The cavalry on the mutineer left had been winging away at each other for some time with no great advantage being achieved. Carbine range is 12” and the fire effect for cavalry is halved compared to an infantry company, unless it is mounted infantry, firing dismounted.

The situation is shown on Map 6.

upload jpg

Turn six started with the British rolling 3 for initiative giving an adjusted score of 5 and the Mutineers also rolling 5, a draw. Under those circumstances the Mutineers gain the advantage (P7-8)

They receive two orders for the tribal forces who sort out their firing line but with no hits achieved.The artillery and cavalry also proving fairly ineffective.

Over to the British, who have a much better turn. The fire of the British right finally forcing the bulk of the Mutineer left to retire two moves, which drives their cavalry, and some infantry, off the table. Allowing the British cavalry brigade and horse artillery to move onto the flank of the redoubt.

how to screenshot on windows

Map 7 tells the story.

screen cap

Turn 7 and things are back to normal with the British regaining the initiative, and after some very effective shooting seeing off the remainder of the left flank sepoys, who were forced to retire two moves.
As they are an 8 stand brigade down to half strength, they cannot achieve any result better than halt so effectively they are out of the game.

The British cavalry then moved up to threaten the redoubt and at that point the Mutineers decided to quit the field abandoning the heavy guns, as the British had achieved their objective at a cost of one cavalry company and two infantry companies.

The game took about two and a half hours of leisurely play and kept both sides engaged to the end.

The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Example Victorian Steel Battle in words , Maps and photographs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »
A very nice AAR.
I am looking forward to my copy of the rules.
I shall have to play the same game as posted here
and see what the out come is.
With the example of the game play you have posted,
hopefully my old brain can figure them out.
A question if I may.
It seems that the Tribal units moved a lot more that the Sepoys.
Was that due to the luck of not receiving command orders?
 Were the Sepoys orders to stand and hold their position?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
it is a bit of both tribals move at 8" regulars at 6" and they were lucky with their orders, at least some of the time. The same time Malc was playing that I fought a British NNC and renegade Zulu force taking on some Zulu on a punitive raid. We played it twice in one evening with one force commanded by a player who knew neither the rules nor his opponent we managed both games in under 4 hours and in one the Zulu won and the otner the British won...I was commanding the losing forces in both actions!

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
I gamed the Sepoy Mutineers and i can honestly tell you this game was not staged, all the games we have had on the tabletop twist and turn, never had a battle yet where its just face and fire one side of the table to the other.

Flank movements are expected in every game, the tribe units had a great roll straight off from the very beginning and the hidden movement rule contributed greatly to where i wanted them to be.

Shame the tribe unit fire power was'nt up to a regular Sepoy unit, but that artillery just bashed up that British line and i almost did it, touch and go till around turn 6 and very enjoyable and plenty to talk about after the battle, because Mark who gamed the British thought he had losted at once stage.

But i keep saying it, one moment in any turn you think you have won and it can turn on its head, so never get disapointed being the Sepoy or any native units.

Will do a Zulu example game next week to show how a impi works in the Victorian Steel rules.

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:04:44 PM »
Top stuff
Thanks
Encore!

Do you split some Brit basing into 3" x 1.5", (2 to a company) so they can skirmish; or use others?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:06:39 PM by smirnoff »

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
Thats right, i use 2 figs a base, but you could use single figures, or what you think looks right

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
Thanks for posting the example battle. Looks like a very fun game! Have ordered my copy

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »
MIght have to try and find a game of this to try soon as somebody local buys the rules...

Has some potential based on this AAR, more than I suspected, perhaps it can be adapted for non-British forces going at it...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 05:11:33 AM »
Question Gents
British Forces: 'An 8 Company Brigade of 4 elite, Enfield rifle armed British and 4 trained,  Musket armed Sikhs. All European trained taking 4 and 3 hits respectively.'

This is where I'm getting confused. If you look at map 4 and map 5 it looks like the 4 Elite and 4 Trained are operating as separate units yet are they still rolling as a 6+ base unit for orders? Can't seem to get my head round this...

I suppose my question is when does a brigade stop being a brigade for the purposes of order rolling (as orders are key)? Ever? Never?

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »
They always operate as a brigade for morale The penalty you have in splitting them is that they can only operate on the same order if they are doing the same thing, i,e advancing across the field in the same direction. As soon as part of the force wheels, change formation etc that requires a different order. And if you are regulars and have three orders you always have the temptation of firing twice instead of moving and that stops the whole brigade moving if you take that option !
The principle of keeping it simple is to be recommended but the commander can always split his force in whichever way he sees fit.( you do tend to get outshot and out fought in our experience!)

I hope that helps you out we will post a Zulu battle Tribe against tribe hopefully next week after playing on Wednesday

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 11:12:09 AM »
That does help, thanks.
And it highlights some very nice mechanisms

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »
Stunning, it's not very often you see such a détailed AAR!

GREAT WORK

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
We are trying to do what we can to explain the rules and try and get them out there, as we think there is no other set of colonial rules quite like them, which is why we took them to print.