Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690625
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Federation Commander Review  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Thenur

• Assistant
    • American Wargamers Association
Federation Commander Review
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:26:49 PM »
I've just put up a review on my blog for the game Federation Commander by Amarillo Design Bureau. It is an updated version of the classic game Star Fleet Battles to smooth out game play without losing the feel of the game. It is a great game that I think anyone who enjoys space combat or Star Trek would enjoy.

http://americanwargamersassociation.blogspot.com/2014/08/federation-commander-review.html
"Wherever you have an efficient government you have a dictatorship."

http://americanwargamersassociation.blogspot.com

Offline nathan

• Librarian
  • Infected by 54mm
Re: Federation Commander Review
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
When the new prepainted Star Trek game came out from Wizkids, I was profoundly disappointed.  Fortunately I didn't pre-order any and got to see the miniatures in person and try the game out.  Horrible miniatures and the rules still feel like WW1 dogfight rules upon which they are based.  A gaming buddy of mine and I were talking about how we wished there was a good TOS focused miniatures game.  He had played SFB as a teenager, but didn't think he wanted to play the long sessions required.  I had this idea floating around in the back of my head that they made a simplified version, but I couldn't remember what it was.

Some searching lead me to ADB, FC and the starline 2400 miniature line.  I liked your review and will be printing off the First Missions to give it a try.  I also found out a local store has a distributor that carries FC and the Starline 2400 miniature range, so I'm going to have them bring in a heavy cruiser and a d7.

The only thing that's annoying me at this point is that ADB doesn't sell decals for the 2400 series, so I need to hunt down a third party source.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
Reading the batrep on your blog remembered me starfleed command video game ! This boardgame sounds really cool and startrek accurate.

I never deeply played these kinds of games with datasheets and checkboxes. I think it's pretty interesting to be able to visualize damages and energy. It reminds me Battletech a bit, too.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 04:05:28 AM »
It reminds me Battletech a bit, too.

It is similar to BattleTech in that the level of detail in the ship systems leads to an in-game story that evolves as you play. No quick death via head shots as you see in battleTech but certainly a diminishment of options as your ship degrades.