Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686611
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gabions - cheap and cheerful?  (Read 3332 times)

Bezzo

Gabions - cheap and cheerful?
« on: October 05, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »
I am thinking of doing a 25mm ECW siege - I want to do it as an extended narrative project (a bit reminiscent of Ron Miles' 'Siege of Dendermonde' in Battle magazine back in '76 and '77 - I have a long memory!).

I am likely to need a lot of gabions. Snitchy the Dog posted a tutorial back in 2011 which produced great results but I am not sure of my skill and patience to turn out consistent end products the way Snitchy does - he is a very talented guy as his work always demonstrates.

Is there another way to turn out acceptable gabions that is not going to empty my bank account? I stress 'acceptable' because so long as they work for me I will be content. I am only pleasing myself on this project.

For gamers of similar vintage to me this may jog a few memories:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:39:17 PM by Bezzo »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Gabions - cheap and cheerful?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:38:16 PM »
Keep your eyes open for place mats with the right woven texture.
Once you have found some, just cut them up and wrap them around anything cylindrical and chuck some gravel or sand in the top and paint the lot..

Voila!
Bob is then your Mother's brother.
 :D

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
Renedra do plastic gabions. Obviously not as cheap as DIY ones, but a lot cheaper than resin, I expect

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »

Renedra aren't perfect but I think they'll fit the bill if you need cheap(er) gabions... Here's some with two Redoubt ACW Guns

A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:45:35 PM »
I am thinking of doing a 25mm ECW siege - I want to do it as an extended narrative project (a bit reminiscent of Ron Miles' 'Siege of Dendermonde' in Battle magazine back in '76 and '77 - I have a long memory!).
Is there another way to turn out acceptable gabions that is not going to empty my bank account? I stress 'acceptable' because so long as they work for me I will be content. I am only pleasing myself on this project.
Thanks for the compliments.  What country are you in? I happen to have a mold for those gabions.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »
Here's the direct tutorial link: http://snitchythedog.blogspot.ca/2011/03/tutorial-for-gabions.html

(Snitchy's original LAF thread about it http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=27048.0 just has a link to the blog's front page)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 06:30:13 PM »
North East England Snitchy.  ;)
PM sent.
Snitchy sends.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
Snitchy's original LAF thread about it just has a link to the blog's front page
Unfortunately when I posted that, I was in a bit of a hurry.  Usually I try to post more information than that.
Snitchy sends.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »
I was just going to sugest mix in some nice (expensive) gabbions with lots of basic (cheap) ones.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
Thats a good method for building them for display standard.But you can achive a gaming gabion for nothing in ten minutes.
Simply cut a strip of cereal packet to the desired figure hight draw a line vertical line 2-3mm in at each end of the card the cut a series of horizontal lines 2-3mm apart up to but not over the vertical lines you drew.Then use cocktail sticks and weave them in and out of the horizontal cuts(leave the points on it makes it easier to weave/sow the card)use as many as you feel will look right.Then bend it round to form a tube gluing the uncut vertical section over one another.cut the points off the cocktail sticks and trim to the desired lengths.This gives you a look which will fit in with the Renedra products,it also makes great fences when you need longer lengths or require it curve round as plastic fencing tends to need a little help to curve and will snap it bent to much.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »
Unfortunately when I posted that, I was in a bit of a hurry.  Usually I try to post more information than that.
Snitchy sends.

No harm, no foul!  :)