Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WW2 on a budget: 15mm US Airborne, Grenadiere & Markers (13.10.14)  (Read 14389 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Just a heads up, nothing new or overly exciting as I'm still struggling to find the time, space and money required for 'proper wargaming' these days. However, despite a major clear-out I hold onto a few bits and pieces that still offer viable options if you're on a budget. World War Two in 15mm is definitely among them. It's not my favourite period of all time (so please forgive me my ignorance of correct uniform colours, badges etc) but models and scenery are readily available while building two opposing forces for platoon- or even company-sized games doesn't break the bank.

So these models were already painted a few months ago, but since I've just dusted them off to use them in anger soon I've taken a few shots (if under poor lighting, sorry). Of course, first off the ubiquitous US Airborne. They were an obvious choice as I had bought a Flames of War starter set earlier.

Arguably the best sculpts of said set are the 'command' models. (The medic's nominated from some supernumeraries.)

In order to bring them up to platoon size the core (plastic) troops were bolstered with metal figures by Forged in Battle. To my mind they blend in quite nicely.

I'll probably have to redress the bases later. So far it's just a quick job (coins & washers, sand, static grass and color codes on the back) to get the minis ready for gaming.

Currently I'm aiming at Chain of Command as my ruleset of choice. It calls for paper-strength teams like this 5-men mortar crew.

There's also some optional stuff you can 'buy' from a list in advance. So I've added a bazooka team…

… and a Forward Observer team.

For variety's sake I can bring in a tank as well. The British Shermans in the FoW starter set were swapped for a couple of Plastic Soldier Company's M4A1s, but I'll probably ever need this single one.

The full array, from preparation to finishing touches, took me a couple of hours (which is fast mode for me). I didn't want to go overboard with detailing and accuracy. As for mere gaming pieces I'm quite happy with them so far. Let me know what you think, and thanks for watching! :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:32:57 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
Re: WW2 gaming on a budget (15mm US Airborne)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
Don't ever tell me again that my 15mm painting is better than yours! They're brilliant!  :-*
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: WW2 on a budget: 15mm US Airborne + Grenadiere (12.10.14)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
Cheers, mate! Though not many share your views obviously. ;)

Anyway, back from another photo session with pictures of my supported Grenadierzug. All rather in "Late War" kit, so not a perfect fit for my intended focus on the campaigns in Italy and Sicily. A friend of mine recommended to paint them as troops of the Panzer-Division Hermann Göring, which had access to more up-to-date equipment. But I wanted a more generic look, in case they find themselves deployed in the Netherlands (another option I'm quite interested in). Therefore, no special assignments or insignia.
Here they are in full array (again, sorry, not as well-lit as I'd like it):

The aforementioned starter sets provides you with all the options to build a paper-strength platoon and even some add-ons. Nice variation over all.

As with the US troops, some of the leader models in particular are among the best sculpts in 15mm that I've seen so far.

This one, for example, reminded me of "Steiner", so I made him a grizzled veteran.

Herr Leutnant in turn is a rather handsome guy.

Also included in the box are some support options, like this PaK 38 or 40 (can't really see a difference).

The PaK model comes with an officer who'll be deployed as a Melder to call in artillery strikes.

To counter enemy tanks the Germans also got some (pretty advanced) Panzerschreck guns.

A minor 'conversion' turned this fellow into a sharpshooter.

For further support I acquired a heavy weapon pack by Plastic Soldier Company. These are earlier sculpts, and while nicely detailed they are noticeably different from Battlefront's chunkier guys. No problem, if on separate bases like the tripod-mounted MG42.

Less common option, like a Sani/medic are fine, too.

Lastly, the StuG was my first trial (and error) painting a 15mm tank according to Battlefront's tutorial – it turned out way to dark, but I couldn't be bothered to repaint it. Lesson learnt for the next one(s).

And that's it for today. Again, thanks for stopping by. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:11:14 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline morrigan

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:22:00 AM »
Very nice! I'm just about to start on a box of the grenadiers myself. Interesting comparison with the PSC early Germans. I have the second release Brits and they are chunkier than the Battlefront grenadiers.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:23:26 AM »
Very nice! I'm just about to start on a box of the grenadiers myself. Interesting comparison with the PSC early Germans. I have the second release Brits and they are chunkier than the Battlefront grenadiers.

Cheers! :) The first infantry sets by PSC were rather scale models. Their more recent "Late War" Brits and "Early War" Germans in turn are sculpted to match Battlefront's (plastic) figures in style. Unfortunately, they weren't yet available when I painted these up.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: WW2 on a budget: 15mm US Airborne, Grenadiere & markers (13.10.14)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:40 AM »
Sorry, double post. Forgot to add the set of markers (intended to be used as Jump Off Points in Chain of Command). These are a variation on my earlier Desert War markers, also clearly aiming at an Italian setting so far. ;) The US officer is just for scale.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Re: WW2 on a budget: 15mm US Airborne, Grenadiere & Markers (13.10.14)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »
ace work!  :-*
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Awesome, I think the Stug is nice, sometime the yellow was darker anyway. Have to say your painting skills are impressive.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »
Very nice! Don't forget that Wargames Factory now also makes 15mm plastic miniatures.

If interested I wrote a review here: http://wargameterrain.blogspot.be/2014/07/wargames-factory-15mm-world-war-two.html
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 06:51:57 PM »
Very nice!!

CoC in 15mm, interesting.

Emilio.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 07:08:12 PM »
Well Chain of Command in 15mm is quite nice.

It allows you to field a lot of variations in support (you have a real pool of vehicles to draw from) at affordable prices, plus, IMHO a great plus, the distances look very believable and the table not crowded as in some recent horrifing games I saw on the net with 28mm WW2 troops lined shoulder to shoulder, side to side...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »
Nice looking troops.

I'll second that Chain of Command works well in smaller scales - we've played lots of games using 10mm figures and terrain, it really gives you a feel for the actual weapon ranges and line of sight. You do need a good amount of terrain though.

Offline CorvetteK225

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:11 AM »
You may be on a budget, but your results are not on the cheap!  Great looking minis.   8)

David

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:27:45 AM »
Thanks all!  :) Very much appreciate your comments – even if you're just to kind. I've been brought up as a 28mm man, so 15mm is still a challenge. Looking at those photos I recognise a number of things to enhance. Taking photos from a greater distance comes first. :D

Haven't yet played CoC in 15mm. But judging from games in 28mm, I share Arrigo's sentiment about crowded tables. IIRC ground scale is anyway matching 15mm.
Regarding terrain, I think it's one of the few games that don't require a lot of it by default. In fact, laying down smoke and advancing under that cover can be quite effective. Just don't roll for a Turn Ends result too soon. ;)

That said, terrain is next. If anyone has a hot tip for 15mm Italian or Dutch buildings/terrain in general that's affordable, please post below.

PS: @Belgian, saw your review earlier, thanks for the heads up. The WF kit's nice, but like the earlier PSC sculpts the minis are quite slender. Actually, I like the chunkier style better (like said, my youth was spoilt by 28mm) and ran with BF Airborne. Also got the Forged in Battle figures at a very good price. That sealed the deal.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:37:29 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:20:55 AM »
Excellent stuff!! ;)