Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:12:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690978
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Deburring quadropeds?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Deburring quadropeds?
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:33:19 PM »
The casting of horses and the like leaves, at least on all miniatures I've ever handled, distinctive flash ridges on the inside of the legs, which are a pain in the ass to remove. Does anyone have a ingenious method or a clever tool to deal with this? In case you do, please share here, since I for one find it one of the more tedious steps in prepping miniatures.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Deburring quadropeds?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:38:25 PM »
I use small files, some rounded whilst others are ridged

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:33:44 PM »
You're right - it's a bugger. I feel your pain.

I find a brutal scrape with a heavyweight Stanley knife gets rid of most of it, and then I try to get in under there with a steel brush on my Dremel mini-drill.

It's darned hard to get rid of all of it, but you can usually get rid of most of it. If all else fails, console yourself with the thought that the insides of a horse's legs are barely visible on the finished, painted model...

I've been painting horses today. I love painting the horses.
Unfortunately I hate painting reins, bridles and other horsie paraphenalia. It just takes soooooooooooooooo long...  :(

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:31:15 AM »
small files for me too, bought here
http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Product.aspx?id=15599866
swedish website people, don't go the unless you're prepared for gobbledygooktext::)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:36:38 AM »
You can pick up sets pretty cheap in Wilkinsons etc

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:40:19 AM »
The casting of horses and the like leaves, at least on all miniatures I've ever handled, distinctive flash ridges on the inside of the legs, which are a pain in the ass to remove.
Just a minute, you have to be clear, is it a pain in the ass or flash on the horse we're considering here? And would a mule have both then? ???  ???

In the equine case I use a thin, small half round file and tonnes of patience which I can ill-afford. Very fine abrasive paper works well for fine finishing; it works less well on asses though....  ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:35:08 AM »
The casting of horses and the like leaves, at least on all miniatures I've ever handled, distinctive flash ridges on the inside of the legs, which are a pain in the ass to remove.
Just a minute, you have to be clear, is it a pain in the ass or flash on the horse we're considering here? And would a mule have both then? ???  ???

In the equine case I use a thin, small half round file and tonnes of patience which I can ill-afford. Very fine abrasive paper works well for fine finishing; it works less well on asses though....  ;)

I suppose it would be a pain in the ass to deburr the ass of an ass to. Quite likely if you do it with a file, big or small. I hear they kick.

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:16:43 PM »
My sharp xacto knife gets most of it off, and then a bit of a rub with a diamond needle file cleans up anything else I need gone.  I got mine from Heresy, and I'd say they're probably my second most important modelling tool, after my xacto knife.  Heresy Linkage. £10 seems like a lot, but my god are they worth it!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »
There are curved blades available for Stanley knives. They are intended for cutting carpets, but the sickle-shaped blade might work for getting inside those tricky areas.

I haven't got one handy to see if it would fit in there, but they should work for very small gaps, as they curve down to a wickedly sharp point [my fingers still carry the scars].

Sorry the image is a little small, but here's one: