Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 03:54:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696747
  • Total Topics: 118788
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Does anyone make separate pulp rayguns?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Does anyone make separate pulp rayguns?
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »
Bullshott's VSF repair crews have made me realize that West Wind's Eastern European policemen and Zendarians would also make excellent crewmen for some sort of "evil imperium" rocketship. They just need weapon swaps. So... does anyone make loose rayguns that'd look right in a Flash Gordon style setting? I know of Bronze Age, but their guns are a little more sword-and-planet, and easy to mistake for blackpowder pistols.

Along those same lines, I'm starting to think of converting other miniatures to have rayguns or beam rifles as well. Eureka's Warrior Frogs come to mind.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: Does anyone make separate pulp rayguns?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
Heresy does one on it's Sci-Fi weapon sprue... I've used it a fair bit for stuff....

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »
Hmm... those look great but £1.50 per sprue isn't really much cheaper than buying some complete miniatures and clipping the guns off of them. Thanks for the heads-up though! I guess I'll try asking in the Bazaar of Obscurities if anyone's got any spares.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:57:10 PM by Rhoderic »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:47:40 PM »
Hmm... those look great but £1.50 per sprue isn't really much cheaper than buying some complete miniatures and clipping the guns off of them. Thanks for the heads-up though! I guess I'll try asking in the Bazaar of Obscurities if anyone's got any spares.

You get 5 to 10 guns per sprue, while only one per miniature, don't you?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »
The sprue in question consists mainly of more hard sci-fi looking guns, which I don't need. As seen here:

I only want the death ray, and I'd like quite a few of them (maybe 8 for the Zendarans-turned-Rocketmen, and some extra ones for potential future projects).

I suppose some sort of experiment with various sizes of plastic tubing might be in order, but I'm starting to get terminally tired of hunting down materials like that.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 01:56:58 AM »
Would the Games Workshop eldar laspistol work for you? I can't find any pictures of it anywhere, but I have some extra I could toss in an envelope.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:28:26 AM »
Would the Games Workshop eldar laspistol work for you? I can't find any pictures of it anywhere, but I have some extra I could toss in an envelope.
I may have some plastic Eldar lasguns and laspistols lying arond, too!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
I was actually thinking about the old Eldar laspistols too. It was a long time since I last saw one but I seem to recall they had a certain pulpish look. I tried looking for pictures yesterday but didn't find any.

I might want to take you guys up on your offers, but if possible I'd like to see a pic first, if anyone's got one they can post. Maybe there's one on Stuff of Legends?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »
The ones at the bottom of this picture?

Can't see any pics of newer versions.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »
I think the one I was thinking about was the top right pistol in that Eldar Weapons Sprue. As used by the example figure above it (the one with the sword, pistol and helmet). Does anyone have spares of that one in particular?

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »
Some of the smaller Hasslefree CAD guns (link here) might be suitable.  Most of them are 4 for £1.50 - but have a look at each description to be sure.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:12:45 PM »
I think the one I was thinking about was the top right pistol in that Eldar Weapons Sprue. As used by the example figure above it (the one with the sword, pistol and helmet). Does anyone have spares of that one in particular?

I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of that sprue - and as Eldar do not use laspistols any more, I'd probably never find a use for them (unless I embark on a pulp sci-fi project  lol ).

I have my hands full this evening, but if I get home from work at a decent time tomorrow, I'll take a look. (Otherwise, I have an appointment at the dentist late in the afternoon  >:(  )
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:33:32 PM by Argonor »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 03:40:08 AM »

I have at least a couple of them. PM with an address, and I'll toss 'em in an envelope. I'm in Oregon, so I can't say how long it would take.

It is amazing what you end up with in your bits box when you have been collecting stuff for 25 years.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
I havent' gotten around to look, yet   :(  my kids simply won't go to sleep these days, which leaves me no time in the evenings...

I know exactly where they are, though, if I still have them....

Offline Grif

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »
Rhoderic, I've been thinking of this sort of thing myself; I plan on painting up an old Flintloque "Dueling Elf" officer as "Swordsmaster Koros" from a free Flash Gordon game that I found on the 'net, and which I'd like to play using "Fantastic Worlds". What would be great to go with them is to devise some kind of "War Rocket Ajax" type model that one could have infantry combat going on in...ie, boarding actions. If we could make it look as if it was more than just a deck plan; perhaps with gun turrets with crews, a bridge, that sort of thing. I've been looking at Forge World "Death Korp of Krieg" engineers and artillery crew for this; expensive, but...
Grif