Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:06:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SYW - 'Teugn-Hausen' using 'Die Kriegkunst'  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Fat Wally

• Assistant
    • Fat Wally's Lardloving Wargames
SYW - 'Teugn-Hausen' using 'Die Kriegkunst'
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
Hi chaps,

Photo report on the SYW game we played on Friday to celebrate my mate's birthday.  His firm gives its employees the day off for their birthday.  I took the day off too.

Based loosely upon the battle of Teugn-Hausen 1809, though in a SYW setting, inspired by Steve Jones's article in MWBG#379.  Nasty hilly terrain mostly covered by open woods.

Two Elite and one Veteran Grenadier Battalions with Garrison Frei-Infanterie.  Must deploy within 20cm of Teugn.  Two other Brigades are off table and arrive the turn after musketry is heard.

Pandurs from the Russian Advance Guard deploy in the woods on the Russian right of the Hausner Berg

Russian Advance Guard must not deploy within 20cm of any Prussians.  Dragoons and two guns are just able to deploy on the Hausner Berg, the open ridge occupying the centre.

Russian 2nd Brigade must deploy within 20cm of Hausen.  Two Grenadier, three Musketeer Battalions and two guns.

Prussians Open Fire.  Firing at long range, no effect.  However musketry is now heard and Prussians can arrive en masse and with gusto

Prussian 2nd Brigade.  Five Battalions of Musketeers and to guns arrive turn 2

Prussian 3rd Brigade Arrives.  Four Battalions of Musketeers arrives turn 4

Russian Dragoons Charge!  Launching a charge against the Garrison Frei-Infanterie.  No casualties on the way in from defensive fire so melee ensues.  The Dragoons roll well, the infantry count only half their total of men and are thrashed.  Achieving a retreat result, the Dragoons inflict a 1:1 kill ratio and so the Prussians are wiped out!

Russian 3rd Brigade occupies the woods, supporte by Pandurs from the Advance Guard.  Two Grenadier, four musketeer, two 12pdr guns and Horse Grenadiers to boot.  Initially they too had to deploy within 20cm of Hausen making the centre very congested for the Russians.  Paul then rolled poorly for changing their own orders forcing the Brigade to withdraw.

With the 2nd Brigade heading to the woods, the 3rd Brigade receives orders to assault the centre and Hausner Berg.

Dragoons Again...Fired on by Prussian Grenadiers, they are forced back initially.  However one unit of Prussian Grenadiers has already taken 50% casualties from the Russian guns and has been forced to retreat.  The Prussians are just hanging in there due to their Elite unit and Brigade status.

Russian 2nd Brigade.  Deployed but without new orders.

Prussian 2nd Brigade Take The Woods.  A little sporadic fighting but the Russians exit the woods.  Prussians in column of companies, marching through woods at half speed, can still move 10cm!

The Vicinity of Hausen .  Very congested with little room for flair.

Pushing back Pandurs

Hausner Berg Taken.  Prussian Grenadiers hit the flank and rear of the Russian artillery who had pivoted to support the Pandurs in the woods.  Guns abandoned as the crews evade.  Prussian 3rd Brigade Halts.  You really don't want to cross a hill and face four more Russian guns in close proximity.

Russian Dragoons Charge Again!.  Having rallied and sorted themselves out the Russian Dragoons charge again.  Fire from the Grenadiers is poor and so the Dragoons make contact once again.  Once again a sterling result inflicting a retreat and 1:1 casualties.  The Grenadiers fall to less than 25% and are dispersed.  Adjacent Prussian infantry are Unformed as a result but pass morale tests for seeing friends rout/disperse. 

The Prussians launch a series of close range firefights and assaults on Russian 3rd Brigade forcing them back.  Prussian Garrison infantry on their extreme left pour fire into Russian Horse Grenadiers who fail their morale test and retreat back to Hausen.  The Russians are hanging in there, just.

Russian 2nd Brigade Advances.  The Dragoons are in the way now and withdraw through the woods having punched well above their weight in destroying two Prussian infantry units.  The Russians get orders to engage and roll forward towards the Hausner Berg.

The Prussian 2nd Brigade presses the Russians on the left but the centre is firm.  A draw but very hard fought.  Made lots of deployment and tactical errors but the game and pace was dictated largely by terrain awkwardness, and us not having played for weeks.  A fun but challenging game ends in a draw as neither side looks like being able to take and hold both villages. 

A fun day.  All figures 15mm from my own collection.  Mostly Old Glory.  Rules 'Die Kriegkunst' (Partisan Press). Apologies for the poor photography.  Playing another SYW game at my club on Saturday.

Cheers,

Kev
Education Support Worker, Wargamer & Painter. 'Living the Dream'

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
Re: SYW - 'Teugn-Hausen' using 'Die Kriegkunst'
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »
Great!! :-*

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
what a great battle-report!
I know what you mean about the photos - but actually I think they illustrate the game really well - and the flash-lighting almost adds to the atmosphere in a way... (think 'fog of war' here ...).
like your text too ... thanks for posting.

*looking again - not sure it is straight-on flash after all in the photos - the 'fall-off' effect made me think it was - but whatever the lighting I do think it works well!

I should also say that your report gives a very good impression of the OG 15s and your painting - I'd assumed they were 25 / 28mm until I read otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:00:23 PM by Bloggard »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
Thanks for the detailed AAR, look forward to the next game.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen