Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: the return of heavy/siege artillery  (Read 12340 times)

former user

Re: the return of heavy/siege artillery
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
yes, this is another classical use. Yet You need a big game for that. And a target the BFG can fire at. No siege artillery without fortifications. No AT-guns without tanks. etc

Yes, this dialogue has indeed enlightened me towards rethinking certain things. Making the rules so as to fit what one wants to game.
like what the Lardies do. Or T&T actually, where the artillery is restricted to light guns.
I have to resist the urge to game pieces that are unrealistic for the given scale to actually do something in the game. They will still be important as objective.

former user

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 12:23:05 AM »
oh, that shouldn't be a problem....
You can make a whole mario brothers style game around getting the ammo on the table, putting it into the gun and firing it.
You need a lot of humorous incident cards for that

former user

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 12:49:30 AM »
or wait until someone has better ideas than that...
or nice pictures of BFGs

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »
everyone knows I buy too much, do too little and then buy some more....... :D

former user

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »
any BFG among the latter?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 07:44:47 PM »
Almost finished so I'll be put the theory to the test.Only downer is it comes in at just over 26cm long(including basing)once you put the traction engine in front.But I can remove the limber to reduce the length to fit my gaming space.

Offline Ste long 1971

• Bookworm
  • Time for tiffing chaps
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Very nice work, what scale is it?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 05:11:41 PM »
My bad.Should of mentioned the tutorials I've done on Laf,are for 28mm purely because my own range of WW1 vehicles are 28mm.
I personally use my bfg's for defensive game's instead of my 13 pndr's no real rule mod's just have them unable to fire at short range.It's just a way of using them without being hung up on scale.As to scale the long range of a .303 is actually that of your average .22 air rifle..
(I'd post a link to the tutorial but I've no idea how to link on a phone :D).
Mark.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
Whoa. That is nice!  :o 8) :-*

Offline Ste long 1971

• Bookworm
  • Time for tiffing chaps
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »
Have you any plans to put the howitzer and limber into production?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 10:39:02 PM »
Its only made from cereal packet and four cocktail stick's :D.
I will be adding a couple of heavy guns to the range I do for 1st corps later in the year.( there are a few models to released first plus two tank masters to remake as they vanished in the british postal service.The tractors need a small rework as they cast great but don't work as a model you can post.(Parts frature in the post).

Offline Ste long 1971

• Bookworm
  • Time for tiffing chaps
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
That's impressive all the more. Did you make the limber out of cereal packets too?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
I don't want to cross post.But yes,also the taction engine to pull them.As I mentioned I don't know how to do a link on a phone lol.
The tutorial is in the how to section of workbench on the forum.Under A tale form the tinshed.
But if no one object's I'll add some pic's to this topic.I was interested in this topic on the use of bfg's anyway .its just my tutorial is one of those topic's that could have been posted on a couple of boards.But it would be moved to the how to section either way :D

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 07:53:37 AM »
As for WW1 scenarios involving big guns on table, something around Operation Michael is your best bet. There are two options. One is for the opening day of the battle - March 21st 1918. The morning was foggy when the German attack started. The artillery bombardment was specifically targeted at, amongst other things, the various command and control centres on the British side. Some of the siege and garrison artillery batteries found themselves out of touch. The spread out nature of the British defence, the fog, and the bombardment all combined to enable German infantry to penetrate through the forward defensive lines in some places. The first that some gunners knew there was a problem was when, as the fog lifted, they came under MG08/15 and rifle fire from German infantry. By this stage there were British units falling back in disarray in some areas. The stage was set, therefore, for a scenario where a determined artillery officer has organised his men to use their rifles and Lewis guns (issued as anti-aircraft and anti-personnel defensive weapons to artillery batteries) to ward off such an attack. The officer will have rallied some British stragglers to help.

The second scenario would have occurred during the retreat in the subsequent days. In many places the heavy guns were packed up early in the fighting and withdrawn ahead of the rest of Fifth Army. This scenario would involve a heavy artillery team that pulled out later and then had the misfortune of the gun slipping off the road and into a ditch. While attempting to get things moving again, the German advance guards crest the nearby the hill. Once again, British infantry stragglers are pulled into the fight.

Both examples are based on actual events.

Robert

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
former user I have one of these. It is an 18inch howitzer and in my 54mm collection. You can imagine in 54mm it is a hunk of metal.

Picked one up at a flea market some months ago.  I'm still not sure if I should repaint it and use it or keep it for my 1 year old grandon until he's old enough to appreciate it to put it on display in his room...
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/