Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686598
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Samurai Dwarves  (Read 11586 times)

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
[Kickstarter] Samurai Dwarves
« on: November 22, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »

Our Samurai Dwarves in the Fantasy Armies of the Far East range currently consists of 6 Samurai Dwarves.

This is not enough! (there should at the very least be 7 ;-)

So we have just launched a mini kickstarter to have another 3 sculpted, hopefully this is will be the first expansion of many. Bob Olley is on board to do the work so it's in good hands.

Click here to support us

Please come over and support us if you are interested, or share the project with your friends who may be.

Enjoy

Gary
Suppliers of Wargaming "Stuff"
www.forlornhopegames.co.uk

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
Re: [Kickstarter] Samurai Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
Pictures of the existing dwarves & concepts for the new trio may help. Good luck!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
Nice, hope to see the concepts soon.  Bob Olley does good dwarfs.  For those interested, here are the current ones:

http://www.forlornhopegames.co.uk/category/13-fantasy-armies-of-the-far-east

While I am not that interested in samurai dwarfs, if you were to put the samurai orcs and goblins on offer via the KS, I would pledge.  I was hoping to order the army deal sometime in the future, but could be persuaded to purchase it sooner if it was available as a reward with a bit of a discount.  Just an idea...  ;)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »
These are cool. I've always liked them and I love Bob's sculpts. I have to say, however, that  I think launching the kickstarter without photos of the actual models is a mistake. You could'nt have waited until you actually have greens? Or at least decent quality concept art?

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »
Thanks Timbor.

The existing minis are in the short video.

I will be posting pics next week as the deaigns are finalised. I find it odd that folk run a kickstarter with what seems to be everything finished, but hey I'm new to this :-)

Not a bad idea on the orcs too.

G

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 10:48:41 PM »
Well, the typical reason is folks want to see what they are helping to support.  While I would say it is less of an issue in this case, since we have existing Olley sculpts available as reference, and I can assume that the new ones will be in a similar vein.  You are an established company as well, rather than an untested startup, and you have set a reasonable goal, which helps with your credibility.

Unfortunately in the past few years there have been many Kickstarter campaigns where miniatures were promised based on a concept, and then the final product was disappointing either in execution, pose, material, etc.  My first thought jumps to the Mantic Basilean human army from their first Kings of War KS, though there are many others.  Think of a kickstarter like a form of venture capital.  I would not invest my money in a business startup that is unable to show me their business plan or their finances as it is probably too high of a risk.  Likewise (but on a smaller scale) investing in the production of some miniatures is similar, in that I am putting my cash upfront for a product to be delivered once complete.  If it turns out the product is something I do not like, then I have wasted my investment.

Just a few thoughts to bring you up to the same page for us potential backers  ;)

Keep me posted about adding the orcs to the campaign.  If you can recreate this army deal, http://www.forlornhopegames.co.uk/product/2106-samurai-orc-and-goblin-army/category_pathway-21 , perhaps with a bit of a 'KS discount'  I would pledge for that and a set of dwarfs.

Have you plans for any stretch goals should you exceed your funding?

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 11:04:46 PM »
Timbor

I appreciate your concerns, hopefully the size of the project and our existing business will help to put you at ease.

I'd happily offer out standard guarantee that if you're not happy we'll reach or refund but I'm not sure how it'll work on a kickstarter. I'll give it some thought although obviously your standard rights still exist.

I was reading some hints from Kickstarter and they suggested NOT offering stretch goals but the immediate one I have in mind is more Samurai Dwarves ;-)

Gary

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 12:21:07 AM »
Hey Gary,

I would say I am confident in your business to back the project, I am sure you will fulfill it as you have an established store with a reputation to keep.  I was more just giving general feedback on backer's expectations.  I like how you have started with a small, simple project for your first one.  I am sure it will do well.

With regards to stretch goals, it usually seems like the most successful projects post up one or two stretch goals either at the start of the campaign, or perhaps after a couple days and then as they are reached, release more to help build the hype.  Often backers will add money towards a stretch goal to their pledge, anticipating that their contribution

Makes sense to make more than 3 dwarves though  ;)  I would love to see some more ashigaru-type goblins in the same vein of the clan war shadowland goblins done by Bob Olley, but perhaps as single goblins rather than double-based ones.  I have a bunch of the clan war ones that could use some company...

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
Thanks Timbor

I've got a couple more backing options to add, just need to run through the costing of one of them.

I'll look into stretch goals too. I'd love to have 30-40 dwarves in the range.

Gary

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
I've just received pictures of the greens ;-)

Enjoy

Gary

former user

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 02:17:15 PM »
they are very cute
will You have samural elves too?

Offline shredder

• Scientist
    • Forlorn Hope Games
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
Cute?

:-)

They are sort of.

No plans for elves at the moment but who knows. We have Samurai Orcs & Goblins (with a troll and wolfriders), Conquistador Ogres and Samurai Minotaurs.

Gary

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
Hey, that was fast.  Those look great, and you are well on the way to seeing them funded!  Better get ideas ready for some stretch goal dwarfs.  Might as well toss in some stretch goal goblins as well, right?  ;)

former user

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »
the unequalad Jes Goodwin elves used to look quite samurai style

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
Also, you should post those greens as an 'update' to the campaign in addition to the photos on the main page.  Backers will get an email so they can see the update.  I would not have known the greens were ready without seeing this thread.