Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:30:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 2.5 ft long Hasbro Mil. Falcon for £25 in Argos  (Read 6687 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
2.5 ft long Hasbro Mil. Falcon for £25 in Argos
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »
I had managed to miss this, but Hasbro did a 2.5 ft (76cm) Millenium Falcon playset a few months ago

Ignore the retail price there, as Argos have it on sale at the moment for £25.49

My question for the group is - does anyone own this and is it any use for gaming with? (okay, two questions ;D)

It looks like not all the roof detaches, but it also looks big enough to use with 28mm stuff. If my sums are correct it's actually 1:46 scale. I can definitely see it being used in a spaceport shootout context, but is there enough room inside to take the action indoors? I worry that some of the furniture may be over scale, but I'm still thinking that for £25 it's worth the risk.

So, any information, or should I just dig out my giant plastic bags and go and buy one?

A couple of pics to show what it looks like

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Re: 2.5 ft long Hasbro Mil. Falcon for £25 in Argos
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:24:20 PM »
Interesting, I have an old Palitoy/Kenner one - where the back section of the roof lifted off and so far have stripped it all down and re-sprayed it bolt gun metal (when you could get that in a can from GW - shows how long ago it was since I did it - and nothing more since lol) along with a converted Action Force / GI Joe Cobra laser cannon thing that fits perfectly where the normal  Falcon quad guns would go. I think it is slightly smaller than this one but certainly enough room to play in it, but not to make it the whole 'battlefield'. It will need some more converting inside to make things work better. At £25 worth a pop just to store away and sell for more money in a few years  ;)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I suspect it will be bought before the week's out, especially as my local Argos has it in stock. I'm getting slightly concerned that my loft will collapse given the amount of stuff in it, but I'm sure this won't put it over the edge  :D

I hadn't thought about painting it, but I suppose I would have to, eventually anyway...

Humbrol do metal sprays. It'll have to be a can, as that thing is way too big for my airbrush spray booth  :D

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »
I have an ERTL model kit of the Falcon to, at some point, build as a playable (terrain) model. It will be around the 50cm mark (+/- 1/68), so quite a bit too small, but at our 28mm scale, I suppose I could squeeze in all the essentials and still create a workable model.

Your 70cm version sounds much more playable though, as one has to take the base diameter size into account, which is the one thing that still has me stumped with my kit.

The Hasbro version therefore sounds like a great base to start from, even though from the pictures, the proportions are off by some (especially in the cockpit area). But then again; the interior is already modeled and in place...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:49:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I suspect it will be bought before the week's out, especially as my local Argos has it in stock. I'm getting slightly concerned that my loft will collapse given the amount of stuff in it, but I'm sure this won't put it over the edge  :D

I hadn't thought about painting it, but I suppose I would have to, eventually anyway...

Humbrol do metal sprays. It'll have to be a can, as that thing is way too big for my airbrush spray booth  :D

I have stuff in the family home loft, at my own place, some at the missus' place and shitloads at my dads (plus his own collections)  lol

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
Over here in the USA, the toy in the OP was the "Limited edition" millenium falcon.  I think it retailed for well over 100 bucks.  I found one missing alot of pieces for $10 at a resale shop here in Chicago.  With some rescaling, it could be useable in 28mm with some rescaling or moving downward of consoles, tables, etc.

I bought it to take a part and use as terrain fodder. I took some pictures

If you've got a dremel (alot of odd angles on the various parts) it's a goldmine for kitbashing, though at 25GBP, it's probably not worth buying if you're only intent is kitbashing.

Here's what it looked like after disassembly.  The tiles are one footers.

If you think you can use it, I'd buy it for sure.  You won't find a deal like it again soon and if you don't use it, it will probably be worth more on ebay next year than you bought it for.

One more thing about the interior. There's two additional rooms that are not visible in the picture. One behind the rounded bulkhead which is where the mini-ship (which is a nice piece itself) is stored.  The other is a similarly sized room at the other end of the circle. There's a door that opens into another storage room.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:21:14 PM by eilif »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I've just ordered it - come on, we all knew I would o_o

I've gone for the home delivery option on Friday, as I don't think I would have been Mister Popular trying to bring it back on the train.

I'll take some pics when I get it and update the thread.

If it does end up in the loft, there's a Revell EasyKit Falcon up there to keep it company (along with a couple of Star Trek kits and a bunch of Star Wars Clone Wars tanks), so at least it won't be lonely ;D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 02:04:36 AM »
You made the right choice!
Could there be any other?….

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
Aplogies for the delay in pictures. I had a bunch of figures to photograph, so thought I'd wait and do everything at the same time.

There is good news and bad news. The good news is it's a huge model (see below). The bad news is that it's not the playset, rather "just" the Falcon. To be honest, I couldn't understand why folk on Starship Modeller would be looking for a playset, so this makes more sense.

It has a bunch of stickers for windows, exhausts etc., but I'll probably just paint them at some point. The two halves are attached with about 20 screws, so while it's possible to separate them and build out the interior, it's not top of my todo list ;D

The model itself is about 70cm long stem to stern. The figure is a Hasslefree one, and pretty much disappears against it. Not sure when it'll see a game, but still glad I bought it.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 06:12:22 PM »
Remember they'll be another one out next year with an obling radar dish.....;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
Looks very nice. That toy was also available over here, for about the price you paid. I don't remember what it was called, but it was at Wal-Mart IIRC, and like this one it didn't have an interior.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
Looks fantastic...though with no interior I think it drops the gaming value significantly.  Big ship though!  I know it'd get my attention.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »
are you going to build a starport around it?

Skirmish at Mos Eisley?

Looks grand !!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
I'm not sure about Mos Eisley, as I have very few Star Wars figures (asides from some Fighter Pods models that I bought for a side project).

However, given that Star Trek and Firefly craft can make an appearance in Battlestar Galactica (Firefly guest appearance), I'm sure a Tramp Freighter can find its way into a non Star Wars universe :D

I have, however, painted up some spaceport workers

and have just finished some robots to help them (self promotional blog post)

Scenery will probably be mostly cardboard, although I do have plenty of crates and stuff to scatter about

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 04:18:34 PM »
Okay im sorry but it's not clear to me who make the model...Not the one with the action figure but the one shown with the 25mm figure, I like that one. And how does the cockpit look with the figure near it? Does it look in proportion?