Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690727
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Taking inspiration from video games environments/ terrain/ scenery  (Read 8254 times)

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
Some time in the new year I'm planing a massive multi scale, multi era modular terrain board.
They'll be used for the likes of 28mm ECW in Yorkshire upto the abandoned overgrown colony of PKF149. Tank battles on the rolling fields of Russia in 15mm to the dank dark forgotten forests of Blackcliff. You get the picture. I've got loads and loads of ideas but I've got one weakness when it come to inspiration.

Being a gamer ( video ) I do tend to get drawn in especially with RPG type games with the story line and you've guess it the scenery. For example at the moment I'm playing Dragons Age Inquisition and I keep thinking, I like the look of those rock formations, kind of reminds me if the Giants Causeway ( Created 50 to 60 million years ago. Thank you Wikipedia. Always thought they were hand carved thousands of years ago. ) Or eyeing up the waterfalls and trying to work out how to incorporate them into 3D scenery. This usually happens with most games I play. Thief - Victorian fantasy sort of Steampunk feel for the building. Great for...well a Victorian fantasy sort of Steampunk type game. Wolfenstine the new order - Really like the feel if the home base for the post apocalyptic or the moon base, how do incorporate that into a game. Assassins Creed - just about anything terrain based and is it just me but with every
era of the game dose it want to make the wargamer in you play those eras ?

So is it just me or are they others like me. If so what games have inspired you to build scenery/terrain and let's have a look. P
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Taking inspiration from video games environments/ terrain/ scenery
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 06:12:30 PM »
I have been influenced by video games a bit...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=16800.0
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=25346.0

;)

One of my favorite video games series of all time.  I also collected a massive amount of the original Dwarven Forge because it reminded me of the original Wolfenstein games.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
The Fallout thread. I have to admit its one of the two threads that inspired me to start this thread. The other was based on STALKER. Nice work both of you. I've never played Shadow Man so I'll you tube it later. Any more for any more?

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
One word:
DOOM

Steve63

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »
I built a 15mm temple for a FoG camp element based on the temple complex in the old city building game Pharaoh

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 09:48:51 PM »
I am pretty sure that at some point the small 'Europan' nation of Gallia from Valkyria Chronicles will make an appearance as a small European imagi-nation at some point in my pulp games. I mean, I've already got Tintin, so Borduria and Syldavia can be assumed to lurk somewhere in the Balkans - what's one more?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 04:15:36 AM »
I like the buildings and scenery from GuildWars Factions expansion. The starter map has a lot of great terrain ideas plus Asian temples and structures. The Imperial City has the densely packed shacks with twisting alleyways. Not historically authentic, but a good blend of influence and fantasy for Ronen, Kensei, and other early Asian skirmishes.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »
DOOM! One of the few games I had to play with the lights on. I kept meaning to buy the board game but was put off by the price. £60 just so I could get a few minis. I always think it would work as a 3d Space Hulk type game, but with office furniture and vending machines.

Liking the Pharaoh temple very much.

Valkyrie Chronicles was always a game I wanted to play, but never got around to it. Several of my friends tell me I'll like it being a tread head. I want to say Japanese school girls riding around in a panzer 3 or it may be something totally different.

Guild War will not for the love and devotion to the gaming gods work on my Netbook. I really want to play it at work. That is when I'm on my break. Honest! 

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:19:21 AM »
I want to say Japanese school girls riding around in a panzer 3 or it may be something totally different.

Nah, it's not that silly. A little saccharine perhaps, but nothing so terrible as lace-covered tanks.

Though as it turns out there actually IS a cartoon that matches your description exactly, called (surprise, surprise) 'Girls und Panzer'. Haven't seen it though so I couldn't tell you anything beyond that.

I think some LAF members have seen it though. I'm sure they'll tell you they watch it "for the tank battles", in much the same manner as one might say "I read it for the articles!"

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 02:10:04 AM »
I'm sure they'll tell you they watch it "for the tank battles", in much the same manner as one might say "I read it for the articles!"

lol lol lol
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 02:17:04 AM »
Im doing some Farcry3 stuff for my modern games and the spectre minis that ive just got!!

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »
Im doing some Farcry3 stuff for my modern games and the spectre minis that ive just got!!
I do like the Farcry environments, especially #2. The compound with the church in the middle and one political party on side just spitting distance from the other bad guys on the other side. Mikes bar was one of my favourites and the area at the abandoned train yard. Not much has inspired me from #3. I think it's down to the fact that I got quite far in the campaign only for it not to save an send me back to an early save. Four times I had to do those bloody knife missions for that depraved Aussie. I did like the outposts and the rusting beached ships. Very post apocalyptic. I've ordered #4 and I'm just hoping now Ubisoft have the licence they've seen sense and stopped first person for driving vehicles. It doesn't work, that's why GTA is third person. Sorry rant over.   

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
Playing 'Call of Duty' was my first introduction to the scenery of some of the famous actions of WW2 - Brecourt Manor, Pegasus Bridge, storming of the Reichstag, etc.. - and I was surprised at how accurate the in-game environment was. Not 100% perhaps, with some tweaks for the sake of gameplay, but moving about within the game gives you a real feel for the terrain in the way no map ever could.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »
I know that with the COD games, the proper ones and not this COD space marine crap they actually sent people out on field research. In COD 3 I liked the polish tankers chasing the tiger through the village or bombing around in Vera with the Germans chasing at very close quarters. It would work quite well for a FOW campaign. A lot of chasing in that game.

Seems we're on ww2 games, the flak tower in MOH airborne was one of my favourites as well as the Normandy operation husky where you have to destroy the radar installation. I've seen a 1/35 flak tower at a model con years ago an it was massive so in 28mm it would be huge 20mm would be big and 15mm would be manageable. It was an okay game apart from the fact the Germans are basically bulletproof, the parachutes don't work ( it's called airborne for a reason EA ) and I have to defeat bosses?