Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:47:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout-Style Aircraft (AKA, make me feel good about my purchase)  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
So, TNT comes out soon and I plan to make a big splash in 2015 with terrain.  My new project will be a rather large military airfield. As all my terrain is Fallout inspired, I always veer towards the retro sci-fi look.  Since it's an airfield, I need some generic planes to have rusting away there. These would be inoperable for a number of reasons and are just there to provide cover and be thematic.  I also needed the models to be relatively simple asd I have had bad luck with actual model planes due to their fiddly designs.  So, FFG had their sale, and the Dust Tactics airplanes are retro-futuristic, are relatively simple kits, and cheap as chips.  So being in a rush I ordered six of the following.

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=DT063

They look, cool but they have downward facing thrusters under the fuselage and since it's a VTOL it has skids instead of landing gear.  In my head, the latter bit is important since I am building a runway and VTOL's with skids really don't need long runways. :)

So, I'm thinking that I may have ordered the wrong plane. My other option was to go with the following.

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=DT065

This second plane has the landing gear, would looked cool when parked in a row, but the huge honking engines kind of ruin the look for me. 

So my options are this: 

1.  Modify the planes I have.  Landing gear bits tend to be expensive and I am not even sure if it is possible to make the kits look right since they were never designed to have landing gear, especially with the central thrusters getting in the way. I really don't want to spend so much time on this and as a result this is my least favorite option.

2.  Forgo the planes, suck up the financial loss, and go with the second plane.  The opinions of my friends, have backed up my assessment that the two oversized-thrusters mounted to the wings are fugly.  Otherwise, I like the rest of the plane. I could possible have FFG swap out the planes too, so that is an option.

3.  Realize that hey the planes are on skids and that's cool.  Stop thinking about it too much, use the planes you have, build the runaway, and just have fun. 

4. Another unknown option?

So there is my dilemma.   My gut is telling me option 3, but as a perfectionist gamer, I can never leave well enough alone.  I would really appreciate opinions from those who appreciate the Fallout aesthetic as much as I do. 

Thanks.

Joey

Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Fallout-Style Aircraft (AKA, make me feel good about my purchase)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 03:43:52 AM »
I say option 3. They are retro future VTOL, if it bugs you put a few beat up or wreaked cargo planes or a bomber on the runway. Thus explaining the reason for having it.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 03:54:34 AM »
Keep these. Find some cheap airplane kits and bash together some other retro future planes. Look at Crimson Skies for design ideas.

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 03:55:58 AM »
Option 3 with further rationale that this airbase had scrambled with haste.
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:38:59 AM »
Thanks for the ideas everyone; however, option 4 has reared it's head.  So I was having a talk with Jason from Thunderchild Miniatures, you should all really go give him money, and we went back and forth about the nature of VTOL's. He had the idea of some kind of magnetic track that the VTOL's could ride, either for positioning or for launch assistance, since vertical take off takes a lot of fuel.  So now in my head I image a central track leading down the asphalt runway and a series of diagonal off shoot tracks that lead to individual planes.  The central track rises in the air, about an inch, in a similar fashion to V1 rocket tracks.  The whole set up would be rusted and heavily weathered.  It would be very industrial looking, so it fits the Fallout retro sci-fi appeal. Plus it would be rather unique. Still working out the finer details in my head. Would love to hear if folks have any specific ideas for the tracks.  Right now thinking about cutting up some o-scale metal train tracks.

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
Thanks for the ideas everyone; however, option 4 has reared it's head.  So I was having a talk with Jason from Thunderchild Miniatures, you should all really go give him money, and we went back and forth about the nature of VTOL's. He had the idea of some kind of magnetic track that the VTOL's could ride, either for positioning or for launch assistance, since vertical take off takes a lot of fuel.  So now in my head I image a central track leading down the asphalt runway and a series of diagonal off shoot tracks that lead to individual planes.  The central track rises in the air, about an inch, in a similar fashion to V1 rocket tracks.  The whole set up would be rusted and heavily weathered.  It would be very industrial looking, so it fits the Fallout retro sci-fi appeal. Plus it would be rather unique. Still working out the finer details in my head. Would love to hear if folks have any specific ideas for the tracks.  Right now thinking about cutting up some o-scale metal train tracks.

Large plasticard I beams with simple tubing running down it with some periodic power boxes along the length?

Offline wasteman

• Librarian
  • Desperate times call for questionable measures.
    • ThunderChild Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »
So I was having a talk with Jason from Thunderchild Miniatures, you should all really go give him money

lol I approve of this!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
Large plasticard I beams with simple tubing running down it with some periodic power boxes along the length?
I was thinking the same thing.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
I vote for option 3/4

The axis planes are nicer than the pelican. I am currently painting both.

Option 3: fallout 3 had a mustang in the museum, so mustangs and republics or MIGs will look at place in the airfield as rusty wrecks. I am sure an airbase would be older than the latest votl aircraft, thus still needing a runway, even if it's retrofitted to suit the new craft. If you can find a simple 'clip together' starter kit for kiddies you will have a winner! And just leave off the small details.

Personally I'd get some kind of dc3, or herculese/turbo prop kit as a big cargo plane. They need runways. Or an osprey?

Or, remove the skids and votl vents, and wreck them. This is hardly a working airbase, and would have been blown to pieces. (The landing gear is buried or broken)

Option 4: A steam launcher similar to an aircraft carrier is a nice idea. Certainly use a plasticard I beam over railway track. And check out those v1 launchers and systems on the carriers for more details before you get cracking.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:11:08 AM »
I would, but shipping to the US makes it less than ideal.  Besides, the thing I wanted the most of is actually somewhat expensive for what it is.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 04:07:50 AM »
Thanks for the great info.  Looking up steam catapults I found the following:

http://defensetech.org/2014/05/13/navy-to-test-electromagnetic-catapult-on-carrier/

Joey

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 05:39:02 AM »
Interesting topic; I have all three of the Dust Tactics 'plane mentioned,wonderful they are too,and am about to embark on a major kitbash crossing a Hercules with a B-24( both 1/48 :o).
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
Presumably, both VTOL and conventional planes would be serviced and stored at the same airport. For example, they don't build a separate airport without runways just for helicopters. Even if conventional planes are less common in the future, I think airports would continue to have runways for a while-- that's a major piece of infrastructure. So I wouldn't worry too much about the "VTOL+runway" thing, myself.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 05:06:58 AM »
I think that's the fun of Fallout aesthetic. The mix of futuristic and the retro.  Once the planes are in hand, which will probably take a while due to FFG being busy with the sale, I will measure the plane skids for determine the length of the magnetic system. My thought is to have twin rails mounted on low risers that gradually increase height as they go down the runway.  I will also have a more old school runway or incorporate the magnetic rail on top of the old, to show they upgraded the airport.  Not sure yet how much real estate the planes will take up, since I do not have them in hand, but I do want the focus on the planes.  I think this could be original and really get folks attention.  Still also need to sort at a control tower and service buildings. I bought some Dust Quonset huts so they will be used as well.  Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Joey