Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:33:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help me shingle mah roofs!  (Read 10953 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Help me shingle mah roofs!
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »
So...while I was hemming and hawing over what 4Ground buildings to pick up for my SnS games (now I have a little bit of expendable income so I'm treating myself) I remembered an old plan I had.

So...I ordered this:

http://www.4ground.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=268&pid=119

100 pounds shipped to me in the U.S. 

Now, while not maybe 100% accurate I think it fits incredibly well and...painted up, will give me a very reasonable barn/livery and a nice ranch house/bunk house.  I'd like to do some games on smaller settings, so a big ranch would be a cool idea.  Also, I get some more out buildings and some wagons and some walls...win win win.  I'm not overly keen on the teddy bear fur so I'm looking for good quality shingles.  Particularly scaled for 28mm.

What are my best options? 

PS: I had heard some internet rumor mill talk that the Rorkes Drift set may be re-released painted etc. (more up to 4Ground modern stuff --- this is a bit old) but at 100 pounds shipped for the set it's a good deal and I'm sure a fully painted set would be a LOT tougher on the wallet.  I'll be painting these myself.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Help me shingle mah roofs!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
Warbases do a range of laser cut thin card tiles

http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=107_119&product_id=119

These come in a long strip, so you don't have to stick individual tiles on the roof.

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:15:50 PM »
I'd second the Warbases ones too.
There are several different styles, they come pre-cut as an A4 sheet, just a bit of border (acts a bit like sprue) easy to cut with scissors.
Mine were sort of cream-coloured, but I used a simple ink & varnish to match them in with the building underneath.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:05:15 AM »
I debated ordering the 4Ground ones...but for two large buildings I'd have ended up paying half the cost of the buildings in shingles.  Was looking for a simpler, cheap but reasonable U.S. friendly alternative.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 12:23:20 AM »
What about Oshiro card tiles...?

http://www.oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/victorianbuildings.html

Not strictly shingles, but they would look great.
 ;)

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 03:31:04 AM »
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
At a tangent may be, if you go to a large craft store and see if they have - or know of anyone with a silhouette cameo - its used for cutting cards and vinyl.  You can cut your own size and on colour card up to 210gsm.  I use 1 for shingles and stuff - in the UK.  The machine is expensive but if someone is willing.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »
You don't want to make them yourself?

Quite frankly I think self-made cardboard shingles fit old west buildings better than ready made ones -- they were quite likely locally produced and not quite uniform anyway.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
Actually, unless there is a lumber mill in the area almost everything had to be shipped into the old west. It wasn't unusual for town to be completely broken down and moved if the anticipated railroad connection didn't come to the town. It certainly depending on what area of the west you were in though,

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »
It certainly depending on what area of the west you were in though,

Definitely. I'd find it odd to ship in lumber if you're building next to a forest...

But anyway my point was that commercially produced tiles are more or less uniform while wooden shingles probably not so much.

I find the modelling roof products a bit too clean and uniform if you're trying to represent wooden shingles. Especially in not so upscale frontier buildings.

Perhaps Ironically, these days you can buy roof tar paper that looks like individual shingles once installed but it's actually the same sort of strips we do in modelling.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
Remember guys, this is me we're talking about here... lol  I'm not a stickler for historical accuracy and I prefer minimum effort for maximum result (hence my love for pre-painted 4Ground stuff...).

So I'm just looking for a reasonable cost effective simple shingle solution.  I'm not opposed to doing them myself, so just looking around.  Hell I won't be building these things for a few months.   :(

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 10:30:53 PM »
A while back, inspired by Sangennaru,  I made a small sample 2"x4" roof with individual shingles and then made a quicky latex mold and cast. Someone more ambitious than I who could see a project through could whip up quite a bit of roofing that way.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 06:23:12 AM »
So I'm just looking for a reasonable cost effective simple shingle solution.  I'm not opposed to doing them myself, so just looking around.  Hell I won't be building these things for a few months.   :(

Making them yourself is free and simple, but you can ofcourse buy them if you prefer.

It's dead simple to do roofs like this:

Here's an article I wrote:
http://www.smallcuts.net/photo/?pict=house_factory.jsp

It's not quite the same method, but you should get the idea.

Hmmm... interesting, strip shingles seems so old hat to me I thought everyone knew about them but now I can't find a sensible article on the subject that doesn't involve buying pre-made strips. Maybe I should write another tutorial...

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
Try wood veneer - you can pick up quite large sheets from e-bay;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pick-Your-Own-Wood-Veneer-Marquetry-Sheets-Can-Choose-Iron-on-or-Unglued-/290934693119?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&var=&hash=item43bd0f1cff

Cut into strips and then tiled the finish looks great.

Tony