Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:50:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) - Hercules Drop-Shuttle  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
(Commercial) - Hercules Drop-Shuttle
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »
Now for something Really BIG...... :o

'NeNow' Hercules Drop-Shuttle

Is based on the foam card Hercules shuttle design by Neil Nowatzki, who relinquished the design. After being provided with plans I redid it for 2mm MDF.

Size:
60L x 40W x 15cm High
Pod:  34L x 15W x 7.5cmH, Bay Doors 6x6cm.

To make the Pod Doors operable, will need small RC plastic hinges & some 2D x 1mmH round magnets.

I am doing a Vehicle pod design with two 12cm doors on each side, will sell both as a whole kit & a separate interchangeable pod.

Price: £40.00 (takes several sheets).

EDIT:  extra pictures

Regards

MMG
www.madmechaguy.co.uk

Should I rename it the Canada Class?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOM-TmZBzZo&index=1&list=RDtOM-TmZBzZo

:D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:34:25 AM by Mad Mecha Guy »
"It's the Fumes I say, the Fumes, those lovely Laser Cut MDF fumes"

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: (Commercial) - Hercules Drop-Shuttle
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 02:28:22 PM »
WOW.

I have never before this had my mouth literally start watering as I scrolled past a photo of a miniature.

Too bad the overseas shipping would make this prohibitive.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »
I admire your efforts but not my thing. Looks too much like slab sided MDF for me, but for that price it's a steal.

Do you lasercut your own stuff?

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »
Brandlin 

Yes I have my own laser cutter, a 'cheap' chinese 50W off ebay.

Froggy
Postage for one to USA £19.00, can send two for £19.50 or three fr £23.50, happy if people want to combine orders.
Also happy to license my items to Cutters in other Countries.

Regards

MMG.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »
I admire your efforts but not my thing. Looks too much like slab sided MDF for me, but for that price it's a steal.

Do you lasercut your own stuff?

Definitely think it'd be worth the effort to paint/gap-fill/greeble, though. Heck, I'm still Working out how to make it into a fig-carrying case.  :D

Postage for one to USA £19.00, can send two for £19.50 or three fr £23.50, happy if people want to combine orders.

Regards

MMG.

Now THAT'S good news; cogitating!!

Without the bricks, though, right?  lol

Could we have a low-angle shot from the rear?

Doug

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
Doug

I will take rear end pictures tomorrow, was going to do will other but got too windy & the dropshuttle like to fly.

Regards

MMG.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »
Hells bell that's a beast.  :o

I do have to agree with some of the point made below tough, it would greatly benefit from some detailing to obscure the fact that its a hunk a MDF. IIRC spartan games released some resin detailing parts for those huge ships they did. Might be a feasible option.

Secondly, is that a F1 on the port side, and why is it mirrored on the starboard side?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »
I'm a tremendous fan of MDF and I think it's a phenomenal medium to work with...but this one is far too "box with lines cut in it" looking for me.  That being said the price is dirt cheap to put a huge mecha-dropping ship on the table, so I think that's neat.

The design is just a bit lacking for me.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 02:26:42 AM »
I can understand what people mean about the clunky look due to MDF, but to me it's no clunkier than the original thunderhawk GW put out  :)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
I can understand what people mean about the clunky look due to MDF, but to me it's no clunkier than the original thunderhawk GW put out  :)

That's a bit like saying, "I don't think this actor is any more wooden than Arnold Schwartzenegger was when he first started."

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Wow, this is great!  8)
I already saw the original Hercules, I was just wondering if you would also supply any add-on weapon turrets?
per aspera ad astra

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »
Really nice, and with a fine "Gerry Anderson" style that might work well with my 2000AD stuff. I seem to recall seeing the original in the early 2000s - has it really been that long?

One thing that bothers me a bit, though, are those large empty spaces in the engine area. I'm with YPU in that some resin parts could add quite some extra appeal to the design, but that would probably be economically unfeasible.

Looking forward to seeing the large-door version.

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 06:20:43 PM »

["That's a bit like saying, "I don't think this actor is any more wooden than Arnold Schwartzenegger was when he first started."]
But people still watch & buy his movies, so not too much woodworm has set in, may be it's the embalming fluid stopping the worms.

Westfalia Chris: 
There is a plain panel that goes across the engine intake, it slipped out of place when taking photo (see top picture).  Tweaked the design add lugs & slots to hold in place.  I will look into adding some etching to it.

Hauptgefreiter:
Unluckily I don't have the facility or funds to do resins bits.  I think the original turrets came from Old Crow design, if you contact him he will sell them to you.  The discs they would fit on are 43mm across.

I know the design is blocky but I was following the original design & I do not have 3D CAD software so only work in flat panel form.

Regards

MMG.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 06:59:58 PM »
There's something very cool about the ship, blocks and all. Perhaps it's a Volvo-Fujitsu Hercules?

It could be adorned by various add-ons from other places. £40 is pretty decent too.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
["That's a bit like saying, "I don't think this actor is any more wooden than Arnold Schwartzenegger was when he first started."]
But people still watch & buy his movies, so not too much woodworm has set in, may be it's the embalming fluid stopping the worms.

Westfalia Chris:  
There is a plain panel that goes across the engine intake, it slipped out of place when taking photo (see top picture).  Tweaked the design add lugs & slots to hold in place.  I will look into adding some etching to it.

Hauptgefreiter:
Unluckily I don't have the facility or funds to do resins bits.  I think the original turrets came from Old Crow design, if you contact him he will sell them to you.  The discs they would fit on are 43mm across.

I know the design is blocky but I was following the original design & I do not have 3D CAD software so only work in flat panel form.

Regards

MMG.

Maybe you could contact Phil over at Slug Industries, he has been doing some commission work lately including resin vehicles but has also released resin science fiction decoration bits. He's on Lead Adventure Forum and maybe you can work something out, just an idea  ;)

Awesome shuttle by the way! Which scale are the miniatures in the picture as I'm looking for a nice transporter for some 25mm vehicles.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/