Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Craft paints  (Read 3496 times)

Offline allenea

• Assistant
Craft paints
« on: December 20, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »
I remember years ago I used various paints for my 28mm WW2 and had a decent out come with craft paints.

Starting to get back into 28mm Modern, does anyone else use craft acrylic paints on there figures.

I bought a bunch of paints cheap to try and keep the cost down.

Earle

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Craft paints
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
I use a lot of them. Especially the basic colors white, black, green, etc Also like linen and ochre. they work well and are a sight cheaper then paints sold specifically for minis.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 04:18:34 PM »
I been a "craft paint" user for quite some time; mostly Americana, Ceramcoat, & FolkArt. I've had good results with them & the price is OUTSTANDING.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I was quite impressed with Anita's, even though I've heard it's supposed to be one of the poorer quality brands. Poorer quality, heh! You should see some of the European brands...

Not so much Americana or Delta Ceramcoat to be had over here, unfortunately. I've found a couple of bottles of Folkart, though.

Offline allenea

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 06:25:44 PM »
Do you guys thin/water down when you use them?

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
I do, just for workability. They have  lower pigment density than model paints, but that's mostly only an issue with colors like reds and yellows.

Vehicles and terrain are almost exclusively painted with craft paints, except when I take a color sample to my local big box home center and get a 6 oz. "color tester"...
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 05:44:09 AM »
I use mostly cheap art shop paints (the budget lines for art students in school). Never for figures, but always for terrain.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »
I'm about 90% craft paint.  True some pigment are thin in some but I just picked up FolkArt shiny gold and it's great!  I have a half dozen or so Valejos metalics and a few film  containers of animation cel-vinyl that I've been using since the late 80's from back in the days before digital painting.  Cartoon-Color still exists and it is fabulous paint.  Much better than any Citadel or Valejo, IMHO.  44 colours, 32 grays and 646 tints!

http://www.cartooncolor.com/cel-vinyl-paints/
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »
I use mostly cheap art shop paints (the budget lines for art students in school). Never for figures, but always for terrain.

I've got a bottle or two of that myself, that's been pretty useful. :) Should get more.

Although, going off-topic slightly: I got a Jackson's art catalogue a while ago that had a couple of brands (including Vallejo) of 'acrylic gouache', which I hadn't seen before. Not long after that I saw how James Gurney used a free sample of it. Some of the described properties make me wonder how it'd work on minis. I might invest in a couple of bottles.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
I have been using craft paints for years. Like them a lot.
I use most of the major brands.
One thing I have noticed is that some of the Ceramcoat paint seem to be thinner
 and don't cover as well.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
I use craft paints for almost everything except skin tones.   You have to adjust techniques a bit but I like them.

Jake

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »
Yep, also use FolkArt, Americana etc for most of my painting, always comes out very well, although I still have trouble finding a decent white and red (I am still talking about paints there!  :D ) Of course, there's always much to be said for mixing and matching across several ranges I find.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 11:39:38 PM »
Its going to sound daft but I didn't realise other people didn't use them,for me there just another tool,just like a sharp knife and super glue.(That sort of basic item you don't mention because everyone has it) .Now I'm wondering what brands of craft paints I actually use.As I store my paints in a set of draws,not openly as my workshop can get a bit dusty depending on the project. (I tend to just look at the colour and think 'that'll do donkey'or ' its worth a giggle')
As for actual brands of modelling paints I must have eight or nine manufactures,on the go.Again I choose by colour not by brand.I do tend to avoid some brands due to smell and texture reguardless of the colour choices.
I find that craft paints can make a good base for a wash,mixed with valejo air brush thinners.But the same mix can take for ever to clean out of an airbrush.(chocolate brown it just wont die!)
I tend to use them for horses and basecoats of buildings,and ship models.The move up to 50/50 mix for the next coat.Now I tend to play to the strenght of each pot.If its thin then I only use it as a mixing colour .
As for mixing/blending across several ranges Is the only way I work.(a little research and you often find its the same paint different name on the pot anyway)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 01:10:02 AM »
Craft paints make up the majority of my African skin recipe, I mix quite a few brands in with GW, Vallejo, Coat d'Arms, etc. on plenty of other figures.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 01:40:16 AM »
This really surprises me as I figured most of you extremely talented folks would pretty much exclusivley use the made-for-minis paint whereas cheap bastard, I was the only one to use the dollar/pound store paint!:)