Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:36:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686516
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Create your own minis 28mm SciFi/Fantasy/Historical  (Read 4255 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
French company has launched a Kickstarter campaign for a "design your own" 3D modelling service. Includes SciFi/Near Future and Fantasy figures, all Human so far but Orcs as a stretch goal

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703677934/create-your-minis-3d-printed-miniatures

They have a website with an ever widening selection of 3D renders of bodies/heads/equipment/armour etc that you can pick and mix to create your own figures. Then choose a pose and save for printing.

http://createyourminis.com

You can play around with designs on the website with a limited selection of the available renders to get an idea of how the thing works....great fun even if you don't want to get involved in the KS.

My first attempt at a Near Future/Cyberpunk Rigger type character:

Obviously still early days for this technology/functionality but at $7 per figure (or less for the larger pledges) well worth taking a look at.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Create your own minis 28mm SciFi/Fantasy/Historical
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »
After bumming around a bit with the preview on the website I must say I am pleasantly surprised. Especially the pre-made poses actually work pretty decently.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
Comparison to Hero Forge:

Cons:
- Significantly worse interface, making it difficult to get an accurate view of the final model for some poses
- Much more limited in terms of outfits, weapons, and options (and that's saying something considering how limited Hero Forge's options already were)
- Body type and overall scale are unchangeable at all (HF has serious problems with this, but they at least try to offer the option)
- The extreme shortage of faces and inability to change expressions is such a severe deficit that it deserves its own mention

Pros:
- Much cheaper
- Better proportions
- Better poses
- Ability to print some separate parts (but not limbs for conversions)

Equal:
- Clipping where part conflicts occur is about as bad as it is with Hero Forge

Unknown:
- Material quality?

Right now I'd say you can do more with Hero Forge in terms of true customization. For instance, Connectamabob's City Watch experiment was maybe 66% successful using HF, but I'm not sure you could even get 10% using CYM. But the HF final products are also awkwardly bulkier and misproportioned (way beyond the tweaks needed for 28mm miniatures) making them somewhat uglier.

Material quality is a BIG question here. CYM has ZERO mention of what material they're using.

I guess it'll be something of a race to see who solves their problems first.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:25:15 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »
Yeah, I saw the HF project and have played with their website a bit but found it really hard going. I disagree with you about the CYOM interface, I thought this a much easier way to get into it.
I agree though that the customisation option HF have is great.....or will be when they get it working.

The figure I pictured here was literally 2 minutes work. Needs some attention on item placing but to me is already "worth" the $7 I would pay for it (depending on the material).  They show images of the 3 step render-3Dprint-painted model on the KS page so that material is paintable.

Anyone else have a saved "test" figure to show from the CYOM website?
I would like to see them take a backers concept and get it printed before the KS ends so that we get an idea of a finished product.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 08:29:36 AM »
Obviously still early days for this technology/functionality but at $7 per figure (or less for the larger pledges) well worth taking a look at
What's the deal with figures priced in CAD when it's a French company (and gives its postage estimates in EUR)? If the currency is correct, the pricing is indeed reasonable but p&p is not as is to be expected from a French comp.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »
What's the deal with figures priced in CAD when it's a French company (and gives its postage estimates in EUR)?

Kickstarter does not take payments in euros yet so companies based here have to "pretend" to be elsewhere...usually USA or UK for taking payments etc. It is very common.
Presumably someone in CYOM has family or business links with Canada so can use a bank account there.

Often causes a lot of ill feeling about European backers of projects from European companies having to pay shipping while USA backers get it free.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
Well, yeah, only I would've expected all prices and estimates in USD since it's still the de facto standard with KS. But of course Quebec is almost part of France anyhow so... :P

I have to play with their miniature designer a little more (I think I may have hit a bug at one point there even) but overall it looks like something I'd like to take a part in 8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:19:13 PM by tnjrp »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »
Just found a couple of images online of some of their test prints from a few months ago:

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=280253hallebardiermacro.png

http://www.createyourminis.com/static/images/imagesForPresentation/fullSize/00_02_40_2.jpg

http://www.createyourminis.com/static/images/imagesForPresentation/fullSize/11_57_34_2.jpg

Only linked as they are massive images. The last one is one of the casts/prints used for the painted examples on the KS and shows the "true scale" nature of these figures. They are certainly Infinity/Wreck Age style and proportion rather than 40K.

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics robh. The last one has unfortunately turned me from a potential backer to an interested onlooker - the scale is completely off from the figures that I'm using (too tall and skinny).

The concept is promising and hopefully one of these providers will produce something in the right scale for me.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 06:22:15 PM »
The last one is one of the casts/prints used for the painted examples on the KS and shows the "true scale" nature of these figures. They are certainly Infinity/Wreck Age style and proportion rather than 40K.
Realistic(ish) proportions are good. They might be a little shorter and the details might be sharper but the project still is just about worth supporting. I think, haven't had time to fiddle with the miniature builder yet.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
Couple more renders I have been playing with, lots of new poses, weapons and cybernetics now amongst the options.

Two Street Samurai types for the Runner team.

http://createyourminis.com/embed/tvvqi2

http://createyourminis.com/embed/tvvuxt

Bit of liquifaction on the first one but the clipping is getting a lot better as they continue tweaking the creator programme.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:35:49 PM by robh »