Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Call of The Age of Conan-thulu pg 2 Shamblers and neanderthals  (Read 9062 times)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Call of The Age of Conan-thulu pg 2 Shamblers and neanderthals
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »
I always really want to play/paint Conan and Cthulhu. But since I spend all my time painting and not gaming mostly, I thought I might just as well combine the two. This has probably been done lots of times as it's so obvious but I don't give a...

The story is simple: Conan the Barbarian is trying to unravel the mischievous dealings of the Cult of Yig. The cult has infiltrated the southern lands under the name of 'Followers of Set'.

On his way through the world he often times he has to free women from the clutches of serpent like Children of Yig. Unfortunately the Yigs are not the only concern in the world. Lots of other Mythos creatures are invariably summoned by the sorcerors of warrior kings who hope to gain power from the summoned beasts.

I will, if I end up gaming, probably use CROM or Swordplay to have a sort of almost RPG like game (with Conan as the clear hero).

But first I have painted what will be my Conan:

Old GW barbarian.

Next I will paint some Children of Yig (Tekumel Qol models) and some Neanderthal raiders (using some very old orcs).

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:06:00 AM by Dr. The Viking »
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
Re: Call of The Age of Conan-thulu
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Excellent idea, and quite logical somehow. Howard didn't use the traditional fantasy bestiary (no dragons, manticores &c...)  but occasionally dinosaurs ('Red nails' has the flavour of a 'Lost World' adventure) yet some of his 'monsters' are quite 'lovecraftian' ('Thaug' in 'A witch shall be born' e.g.): not surprisingly since he exchanged correspondence with Lovecraft.
This 'Barbarian' may be old but provides an archetypical Conan.

The Tékumel minis are indeed full of potential outside the 'EOTPT' original setting: even for the 'merly human' from any 'unhistorical' Ancient civilization to Martians.

About Neanderthals iirc the original 'Eaters of the dead' were presented as Neanderthals in the book, yet the Wendol of the movie would make great 'Picts' of the Bear Clan :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »
Very good idea, Viking, a great opportunity to combine two favorite genres. I may try to give it a go at some point, too.

Nice painting on Conan. Looking forward to see more on this thread.

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
Actually, Howard corresponded with Lovecraft and got permission to incorporate parts of the Cthulhu Mythos in his stories so your idea is very appropriate.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
Great idea mate  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »
Damn fine!
I've had similiar thoughts, mostly with Howard and Lovercraft being contempirary, but I just got bits in boxes...

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
It goes both ways: One Chaosium campaign module for CoC, Dunwich, described an ancient mount with altar that was built by Hyboreans thousands of years ago (how they came to be in what is now New England, I don't know).

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
HPL specifically refers to the SerpentMen of old Valusia in one of his stories - there were additional writers who brought in the whole Tsathoggua becoming their new god and a rebellion against Yig - google-fu will provide extra details :)

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 08:27:33 PM »
"Lin Carter and Clark Ashton Smith adapted the race for inclusion in the Cthulhu Mythos, inspired by H. P. Lovecraft's short story "The Nameless City", which refers to an Arabian city built by a pre-human reptilian race. Lovecraft's story "The Haunter of the Dark" explicitly mentions the "serpent men of Valusia" as being one-time possessors of the Shining Trapezohedron. However, the Cthulhu Mythos were already connected to the works of Robert E. Howard (a contemporary and correspondent of H. P. Lovecraft as well as a direct contributor to the Mythos itself). In this case, the Serpent Men were created for the very first Kull story, the character of Kull later made an appearance in a Bran Mak Morn story, Kings of the Night, while in another such story, Worms of the Earth, Bran Mak Morn explicitly refers to Cthulhu and R'lyeh. Many Conan stories by Howard are also part of the Mythos."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_Men

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yig

http://kingsofthenight0.tripod.com/mythos.htm

Offline Krysset80

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
Nice idea, listened to to a story of his were a celt king deals with things to get even with a roman.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 09:19:24 PM »
I endorse this quest.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 09:11:28 AM »
Uh oh.  So begins the niggling in  the back of my brain.  That can mean only one thing. :P  Wonder what the best source for barbarian minis!  I already have the Cthulhu stuff! :)

Great paint on Conan!

"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
Having just reread the Conan chronicles as an adult, I was overwhelmed by the amount of Mythos that was infused into the stories. All of the enemies and challenges of Conan (other than the humans) were otherworldly and fully mythos based. It was fantastic and revelatory. As a kid reading the stories I never picked up on and I had no idea of the threads that Howard and Lovecraft were weaving together.

I too fully endorse this quest, as it is one of mine.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »
On the surface Conan and the Cthulhu-Mythos seems to have some simular ideas. Maybe Howard was after some letters with Lovecraft influenced by these ideas. But the conan-universe - in my opion - is not so near to cthulhu. I prefer - as a cthulhu-fantasy-crossover - the dreamlands from Lovecraft.

But -as usual - great work, doc. Hope to see you in february at tactica, the guys from england will visit it.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 01:30:38 AM »
Having just reread the Conan chronicles as an adult, I was overwhelmed by the amount of Mythos that was infused into the stories. All of the enemies and challenges of Conan (other than the humans) were otherworldly and fully mythos based. It was fantastic and revelatory. As a kid reading the stories I never picked up on and I had no idea of the threads that Howard and Lovecraft were weaving together.

I too fully endorse this quest, as it is one of mine.

You know, I haven't read those since the Lancer paperbacks probably about 40 years ago (I first read CoC in '69) and I barely remember them. I've been re-reading and reading a lot of Mythos stuff for the last year and a half or so, but I think I may just have to dig out those old Lancers. Thanks for the insightful observation.
We haul ours to kick theirs.