Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:16:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690810
  • Total Topics: 118352
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Minor GW Rant  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Minor GW Rant
« on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:44 AM »
Hi, its not often that I rip on the fiscally successful companies that have come from humble beginnings.  But, it seems the time has come.

http://4sparta.blogspot.com/

There's a little 'red meat' for ya!

Faust
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Minor GW Rant
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:43:50 AM »
So, you´ve been a GW fan for 19 years and NOW you realize your gripe about GW´s anatomical... ahem, "liberties" with concern to their figures?!? :o

Jumpin´ bajeemers, and here I thought they lost it ca. 1997-98! ;)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:40:29 PM »
Now wait a minute.  The Perry Twins, Dave Andrews, Juan Diaz, Jes Goodwin, Chris Fitzpatrick, Bob Olley, Aly Morrison, & Kev Adams have all turned out quality work over the years.   

It's not the 'old guard' that I have a problem with per se.  GW's not all bad.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »
...GW's not all bad.

SHHHH! Somebody might hear you! I was getting the impression that they were responsible for most of the ills of the modern world! Just waiting for someone to blame Hurricane Ike on them!  ;)
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:56:52 PM »
...GW's not all bad.

SHHHH! Somebody might hear you! I was getting the impression that they were responsible for most of the ills of the modern world! Just waiting for someone to blame Hurricane Ike on them!  ;)

Hurricane Ike is GW's fault!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 07:59:32 PM »
GW does quality stuff still.  Sure, most of it is now plastic, which isn't all that bad.

But, GW lost it's soul for better lack of a word, quite some time ago. 

They've gone away from a company of hobbyists to a company of retailers.  Nothing wrong with it I suppose, if that is your goal.  They still churn out some fine looking figures, but it's the pricing insanity that has moved me away from them.  It's all far to structured, and 'optimized' for margin sheets and ledger books.  The constant rotation of the same old sh*t just redone every 3-4 years is tiresome.

When the only reason you produce a product is for the profit, then you get what you want, and deserve.  Just don't expect high praises from those customers than you estranged.

Choosing not to patronize GW has opened up incredible lines of miniatures I would have not giving another thought some time ago.  Wyrd, Hasslefree, Alpha Forge, Spriggen, Heresy and countless other very fun miniatures are now the places I go to look for new stuff.  I can get so much more bang for the buck.  Some of these lines are not the most polished and shiney, but that is all part of the charm as well.

I'm not bitter about it, although It does sound that way.

To GW, it's just business...not personal.  And that is the very root of the problem.

Plus, there is that Hurricane thing.  BAD FORM!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:02:27 PM by supervike »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »
...Plus, there is that Hurricane thing.  BAD FORM!

For that, I apologize.  Should have used an example that wasn't so deadly.  Just getting a bit fed up with the tendency to blame GW for almost everything.  Simple solution? If you don't like them, don't buy their product.  Nuff said!  Next topic?

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:48 PM »
Archangel1,

I'm not blaming them for everything, just to be clear.  Nor do I think the others on this thread are either. 

That being said, GW has created several of the problems it now faces based on their corporate 'culture' as it were.

Competing against their retail distributors was a bad idea in my opinion.  Recycling their core games to alter tournament play is another.  Producing crappy figs so children have an easier time of it, worse still.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 05:33:48 PM »
...Plus, there is that Hurricane thing.  BAD FORM!

For that, I apologize.  Should have used an example that wasn't so deadly.  Just getting a bit fed up with the tendency to blame GW for almost everything.  Simple solution? If you don't like them, don't buy their product.  Nuff said!  Next topic?

I think you read too deeply into my meaning.  I was jokingly blaming GW for the Hurricane as well, NOT your mention of it!!   ;D ;D ;D

All in all, they are just a toy and game company, no serious business at all! 

It's still fun to rant about them occasionally.