Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:26:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Invading Italy with To the Strongest!  (Read 3528 times)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Invading Italy with To the Strongest!
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:44:48 PM »
Last week me and a mate fought a game of "To the Strongest!" (in which I must declare a vested interest, as I wrote the rules!).  I fought a battle loosely based on the Cimbri and Teutones invasion of just about everywhere north of the Med., late in the second century BC.  I wanted to see how Polybian Romans would perform against Celts or Germans; anecdotal evidence (that's you Mog) suggested they might be massacred.  Historically the Romans were defeated several times before Marius reformed the army and smashed the invaders.

Above the Cimbri and Teutonic hordes (proxied by my Celts) advance along the line of a Roman road, somewhere in Northern Italy., towards the edge of a Roman  town.  Their big units with 40+ minis each have three hits; the weeny Roman units opposite a mere one each.  However the Romans have the advantage of having more units and being more manoeuvrable, and the veltes can sting.  We used forces of 135 points each in game terms.  I used lots of minis, but the game could have been fought with a fraction of these numbers, and in any scale.  The photo depicts the action at the end of turn one, with both sides already in contact and one German unit disordered by javelin fire from the velites.

A shot of the Romans (above) shows their smaller units in the triplex axies.  They had 4 legions (2 Roman with red shields and 2 allies with white), with cavalry and lights on the wings.  You may just be able to make out the ammo markers for the velites, who can fire twice before running low (there are reserves of ammo in the camp).  In TtS, everything is played on a grid; a 20cm one in this case.  There is no measurement.  The grid is marked with tiny black dots that one can't really make out in the photos.

For this game I used my new MDF "Chits of War" activation chits drawn from a bowl to determine which units can move, and how often, instead of the playing cards generally used with the game, because I wanted to take photos.  No dice at all were used.

Attacking above, as the Germans, I though I had outflanked the Romans.  Unfortunately it later turned out that they had outflanked me, as their superior cavalry rode down several units of my horse.  The units with an element at an angle are disordered (a further disorder will kill them).

In the centre my warriors thundered into the Roman lines and killed first the velites, then the hastati and the principes.  By the time we reached the triarii, however, the warriors were on their last legs and one after the other my units perished on their hasta.  Despite me being 10 medals up at one stage, the Romans sneaked a win by the narrowest of margins. 

It was a jolly game; we kicked off at 9PM, took a couple of breaks to chat, drank a bottle of the finest Falerian and finished just before midnight.  Although defeated I was very pleased that the special rules for Romans had given such a balanced game.  There's more about the rules (and a link to the shop) on my blog.

http://bigredbat.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/TotheStrongest%21

Cheers, Simon

Offline morrigan

• Bookworm
Re: Invading Italy with To the Strongest!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
Wow - beautiful game! Just bought the rules so here's a quick newbie question: are you using 2 standard depth German units as a deep unit?

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:39:49 PM »
Hi there, yes I have been using deep units 4 ranks.  There's no reason to use that many though- just make sure that the units look a bit deeper than normal units so that it's clear to everyone.

Best, Simon

Offline morrigan

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
Thanks Simon

Barry

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:05:04 AM »
Very nice.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline xpalpatinex

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 01:43:27 AM »
Great looking game!

Offline Denouement

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:11:19 AM »
Impressive and inspiring.  8)

Stuart.
Barrowclough; "Have you got any valuables here, Fletch?
Fletcher; "Only what I always keep in my pyjamas"
Blanco; "He could have been after your lemon barley water; "
Fletcher; "What - in my pyjamas? Funny shaped bottle"

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 07:24:58 PM »
Excellent looking game! 8)

Christopher

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »
Thanks chaps!  It was a fun game, and really, really close.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:15:52 PM »
Wow.  :-* :-*
Nice battle and armies.

There is a certain Marius pupill that i´m following with interest.
I s campaigns in Iberia are a most.
Sertório is the chap.