Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What do you think of Cigar Box Battle Mats?  (Read 4269 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
What do you think of Cigar Box Battle Mats?
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »
Have you seen these mats?
http://www.cigarboxbattle.com/cigar-box-battle-mats-how-do-you-use-these-things/
http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=190&page=1

Our local club has a couple, and they get used all the time, they are really good.
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p526x296/10686737_701807543247311_2177452558749682889_n.jpg?oh=39e9d9d205faa5eeda60c50f7c2dc1fc&oe=555CEC98

The guys at Cigar Box Battle are really keen for there to be a UK stockist, so we're going to give it a go.

Rather than buying a big stock, we're going to take orders to 'dropship' a delivery in March. What we hope is that if the order is big enough, it'll minimise our shipping cost, and we'll pass that onto you guys through free post in the UK and 10% rest of EU. Thats only if the order is big enough, please place our pre-order with the thought you'll be paying our normal postage.

We're not making it cheaper to buy from us, in fact you are more than welcome to keep ordering from the USA, what we hope to offer is the removal of the vagaries of the taxman. Some people have got their mats from the USA no problem, others have been really stung. We'll also offer next day courier in the UK, and three day courier to EU countries, so we can all keep a closer eye on the deliveries as opposed to USA mail service.

Let me know if you are interested. I have an idea that if the first shipment goes well, we'll organise a second for delivery at Salute in April.

Regards
Nick

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Re: What do you think of Cigar Box Battle Mats?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, might be just what I am looking for.
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »
I might be interested.
Would they be able to do them without the trees? I find the printed on trees rather distracting.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:49:08 PM by Mainly28s »
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »
I'd quite like a mat for doing micro armour in Vietnam, but that project is a long way off.  :?

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »
I'd like one for Western Europe 1980s in 1/285 scale. Also bigger than 6 x 4. 
I've pinged them an email to see if anything is in the pipeline.
What would be really useful for this is a cloth that has fields and textured other terrain but minus roads, rivers and woods. All that can be laid on top of something that gives a real flavour of the ground.
That said I may well just do one myself...:)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 09:08:34 AM »
That said I may well just do one myself...Smiley

Which is precisely what my response would be. Pretty as they might be they lack the versatility of DIY or an off the rack plain mat.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Tym

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 05:03:15 PM »
If they were a straight colour like the GW type I would be very interested.  They have formed the base to all our games.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
Desert mat, without roads, is just what I've been looking for. Put my order in today. :-)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »
After serious initial doubts the concept has grown on me. However, that "preorder" system is not my cup of tea. I'd rather preferred to have a small selection of mats (as a trial run) available for immediate purchase. End of March is too far off for an impulse buyer like me. ;)

EDIT: Since it's not a "Commercial" topic, a word on versatility. Opportunities to game are pretty rare for me these days, and if I get the chance I tend to play any kind of game, not just one single period, scale or ruleset. Therefore I guess limited variability of terrain is not really a concern. Certainly, if I were to push the same miniatures over the same terrain every week or so, the fixed setup could soon become an issue. As it is, though, I'd be happy to include the given terrain features on one occasion only to ignore or change them next time around. The aspects of required space and cost and, not the least, of mobility might prevail over my love for fully modelled terrain here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:54:56 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 05:57:41 PM »
However, that "preorder" system is not my cup of tea. I'd rather preferred to have a small selection of mats (as a trial run) available for immediate purchase.

And I'd prefer it if Cigar Box Battles sent me 10 of each to drape around my warehouse, so customers could finger them at their leisure and I'd just pay for the ones that were bought.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »
Well, I don't usually "finger" wares "at my leisure", and that's neither what I said or meant.
But never mind. ::)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 10:40:30 PM »
However, that "preorder" system is not my cup of tea. I'd rather preferred to have a small selection of mats (as a trial run) available for immediate purchase.

And I'd prefer it if Cigar Box Battles sent me 10 of each to drape around my warehouse, so customers could finger them at their leisure and I'd just pay for the ones that were bought.

Come in and feel the quality!  :D