Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:43:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: PolderCon 2015!  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
PolderCon 2015!
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »
Last Saturday the first edition of PolderCon went of with a big and joyous bang! 90 players, over 20 game hosts, workshop leaders and a few traders made up the population of this fledgeling Dutch wargaming convention centered around the mission of offering an opportunity to wargamers to experience aspects of their hobby not previously encountered.

So hence they came from all over the Netherlands, Great Britain and Belgium to participate in games, workshops, good food and that thing wargamers like most right after playing: talking about their hobby!

Below an impression (and no more than that!) of the day:

If you're curious, there's more on my blog http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: PolderCon 2015!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »
Looks like a blast, with some very nice looking tables. Especially the IJpenburg table looks interesting (especially since I'm hoping to create a similar table sometime; Fall Gelb in the Netherlands).

Even though I was not there, I can already tell by looking at the pictures that many kudos need to go to the organisers; it appears you guys created a really nice experience for everyone, both participants and visitors and I'm sure it was a resounding success.

I think I certainly will have to come over next year... :)

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:53:10 PM »
It was indeed a great experience!
The Ypenburg game was absolutely very, very good, and Dick is a fantastic gamemaster.

The Crescent and Cross Saga game was also brilliantly led and well presented. I feel I owe an apology to the hapless Crusader player, for giving that pointer to the Saracen player that won him the game. Overenthusiastic me! I truth I didn't say a word only pointed to a unit so in all probability he had already come to the same conclusion. I hope....

Special personal thanks to Hans who very patiently answered all my questions about the Witchfinder General rule system (especially considering I wasn't even playing) and even made time to send me an email afterwards with even more details! 

Very friendly atmosphere and I (we) promise to be back next year,  with a game of our own if the organisers will have us.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »
I feel I owe an apology to the hapless Crusader player, for giving that pointer to the Saracen player that won him the game.

Nah, No worries WIllie, I lost because I failed all of my saves in the previous attack and lost 5 Knights in the process, so had 2 Knights and a Warlord to fight off the Saracen Warlord and a horde of pikemen. I knew it was going to be one sided after taking so many casualties so close to the enemy. Such is the hand of fate  8)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »
SO I still managed to miss you Gunbird! Such a shame. But I am glad you enjoyed yourself.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:17:28 PM »
Actually you didn't, I was in your last class of the day, making Mordheim scenery. And then reversing the walls <sigh> (in my defence, I had a splitting headache from paying attention to everything so much.... lol).

Hey, I think you still have my drawing....but you probably trashed it.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:00:08 AM »
Hahaha. Yes, you obviously didn't enter as "Gunbird" now, did you  ::) I recognize you now. You were the one with experience!

I am afraid I trashed everything I found on the table afterwards which didn't look recyclable.... lol
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:17:29 AM by Pijlie »