Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Men Who Would Be Kings Playtest 2: 'Scouting Patrol 1897'  (Read 3680 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
The Men Who Would Be Kings Playtest 2: 'Scouting Patrol 1897'
« on: February 18, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »
Last night, Andy and I met at my house for the second play test game of Dan Mersey's new Colonial rules. I had completed two units since game 1 so the Anglo-Indians had a unit of Gurkhas and the Afridi Pathans had an extra unit of riflemen.

The Anglo Indian force was 23pts and comprised 1 company of the Suffolk Regt, 1 company of the 4th Sikhs and 1 company of the 5th Gurkhas. We gave the Suffolks the best rifle available and upgraded them to 'sharpshooters' thereby increasing their chance to hit. We felt that this would be the best way to represent the better quality rifle in the hands of British troops and its correspondingly greater rate of fire than that issued to Indian Army troops. We upgraded the Sikhs so that they had better morale and close combat ability. The Gurkhas were play testing an idea for them to ignore difficult ground (they are from Nepal, after all) as Dan hadn't got this in his rules but was keen for us to try it out.

The Afridis had 24pts comprising 1 group of sharpshooters (better chance to hit) armed with poorer quality rifles (less range than the British guns), 1 group of riflemen with the same and 1 group of riflemen with jezzails (shorter range than rifles). They also had a group of swordsmen and a group of swordsmen who were upgraded for better morale and combat ability to represent Ghazi fanatics. All bar the jezzail armed troops had the ability to go to ground and reduce their chance of being shot at.

The scenario is also a draft from the rules and has the British attempting to patrol and scout the table by moving into contact with the relevant marker (in this case an animals base or a rocky pinnacle) of which there are 6 - 1 in each 2 x 2 foot section of the board. The Pathans deploy only the jezzail armed guys. The rest I had to note in secret which section they'd come in on. They can then do so in any of my activations, anywhere in the selected section. The Brits then chose their entry point and we rolled for leadership. Luckily for me, all my troops were either leadership 5 or 6 (excellent!!!) and some had additional abilities to make them more resilient. Andy's Suffolks were able to add extra distance when moving 'at the double' and the unfortunate Gurkhas had an officer who was prone to abandoning them if they became pinned! Andy's units' leadership ranged from 7 to 8 (average).

Here's the opening shots (sorry about the poor pics - lighting in my kitchen is shocking and the flash was washing everything out on most shots where I attempted to use it).

Here's the table at the start of the game. My jezzail chaps are on the left on the central hill...

Here's the view over towards the British troops as they deploy...

Here are the Gurkhas advancing in the cover of a large hill...

The resolute Sikhs in the centre...

The Gurkhas first move saw them double up the hill and patrol the first objective! Across the table, the Sikhs and Suffolks also moved rapidly and it looked like Andy would be halfway home at the end of turn 1...

However, I then deployed my Ghazis in section 5, which, handily, was right up the Sikhs' backside!!...

I also deployed my sharpshooters in the rocks on my left, guarding the access to the objective in that section of the board...

Here's the table at this point in the action...

The Sikhs then activated and turned to fire at the onrushing Ghazis, killing a couple but not slowing their advance.

In my turn the Ghazis hit home, but the hard-hitting Sikhs, despite suffering heavy losses, drove them back.

The British were now in charge of two objectives and my jezzail men, hopelessly out of range, advanced...

The Sikhs finally destroyed the Ghazis in combat. Luckily this had delayed them from gaining the middle objective. At this point, the Gurkhas advanced over the hill towards my jezzail men who were trying to guard the central objective. Over on my left, The Suffolks were pinned by the sharpshooters, which discouraged Andy from doing anything much else with them throughout the game, which meant that, as the Ghurkas advanced, I was able to reveal and deploy my remaining units...

This led to a brutal slaughter with the Ghurkhas being cut down to the last man, their officer hurling himself back into the fray to die a hero's death and surely receive a posthumous Order of Merit medal. The Sikhs fought gallantly, their officer surviving to escape the combat only to be cut down in a hail of lead from the sharpshooters. At this point, the game was slipping from Andy's hands as all my remaining men advanced on the Suffolks...

Luckily for them, the Suffolks had formed up and unleashed volley fire, causing immense slaughter, but to no avail. Surrounded and outnumbered, they were cut down to the last man...

At this point, Andy and I totalled up the victory points to discover that we had 12 each! A draw!! We rationalised this by saying that, although they had destroyed the British force utterly, the Afridis had suffered such tremendous losses that their rebellion was over - they simply had no men left to fight on.

This was a cracking game. The scenario worked really well. My victory was helped by my warriors' excellent leadership - the Mullahs had obviously done their work well, as the massed British gunnery did nothing to worry the brave Pathans, so, in effect, they were almost never pinned.

A few queries arose about the rules and I pinged an email to Dan this morning for clarification, but overall, this was extremely encouraging (not too mention great fun!!!)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:54:40 AM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Men Who Would Be Kings Playtest 2: 'Scouting Patrol 1897'
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
Nice looking game. Very interesting to see this develop, and also get a look at some different scenarios.  :D

Again, the weight of numbers (larger units) seem to aid the natives in withstanding the British firepower.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »
looks good and the rules sound interesting :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »
Greate looking game !

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
Terrific game! It epitomizes "The flying bullet down the pass..."
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
That looks great Andy.
What make are the Pathans?

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »
:'( Sounds just the ticket, nothing beats a valiant, yet doomed, last stand! :'(
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »
That looks great Andy.
What make are the Pathans?

Most of them are Old Glory, with a few Castaway Arts thrown in. The Old Glory ones are really good - probably one of their very best ranges. There's the occasional 'donkey' amongst them but at the price, you can't beat them. Sure, the Foundry and Artizan, etc are nicer, but, unless you plan to paint them to display standard, I'd go for Old Glory every time for the Pathans.

The Anglo-Indians are Foundry (Sikhs and Gurkhas) and Empress (Brits from their Zulu War range who take khaki surprisingly well...)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »
Lovely looking game, I wonder how these would work for my maori wars

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »
Lovely looking game, I wonder how these would work for my maori wars

They'd certainly work as you can tailor troop-types to suit the period you are playing, but it just depends what you want out of a ruleset...by that I mean whether they'd work for you.

I have to design the forces quite carefully for the NW Frontier - I think I made the tribesmen too good for this game, but that's easily sortable...