Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697703
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: D&D(&D))  (Read 270639 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Undead Dragon)
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »
Got to be the jabberwock then?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2015, 03:54:31 AM »
Happy that a random act of kindness of undead cheered you up.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2015, 06:26:48 AM »
Awesome stuff.  I agree with you...as much as I don't "love" painting...it is one of the things which lets me zone out and chill-out.  Something my folks noticed as early as middle school.  I was a pretty spastic child, so they'd see me sit at the kitchen table for 2-3 hours at a time, fully concentrating on painting (poorly).

It is definitely a calming process.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 255
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
Got to be the jabberwock then?

Vey good.  :D

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »
Many, many lovely folks on this forum. Always nice to help someone along on their journey too!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2015, 05:38:55 AM »
Trying to decide what to do for shields. I think it will either be heaters or coffins. The coffin is just a rough mock-up -- I will make a nicely measured template, possibly just a little bit larger -- and cut the rest to match that.

Awesome stuff.  I agree with you...as much as I don't "love" painting...it is one of the things which lets me zone out and chill-out.  Something my folks noticed as early as middle school.  I was a pretty spastic child, so they'd see me sit at the kitchen table for 2-3 hours at a time, fully concentrating on painting (poorly).

It is definitely a calming process.

It's been a similar thing for me. I wasn't necessarily too hyper of a child (or adult), and I think I balanced active play (sports, etc.) with calmer interests like reading. But I've frequently found it difficult to focus and calm my mind. In younger years, reading about and experimenting with mediation & such -- it never even remotely worked for me. But as I got older I realized how much I would (and still do) get lost in painting, relax, and stop thinking about 800 things at once. I'd even go as far as saying that I sometimes hit what I guess people call a transcendental state or something along those lines. I will get so lost in painting that in what seems like the blink of an eye, several hours have gone by and I have a table full of painted figures.  o_o

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
Heaters! I was never too impressed by skellies and things decked out with themed nick-nacks like bat-wings, skullz, bones, etc. As if it weren't obvious a collection of dry bones clattering together and moving about in mockery of a past life had something to do with the undead...

"Rise, my minions! Rise and... accessorise!"

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #217 on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
I 99% agree with you. I suppose there are different styles of undead, depending on the personality of the person/unperson/creature at the top of the command structure doing all the raising/animating/blood-drinking, but my own take on it is decidedly not-living, and not concerned with many of the normal concerns of the living. So that's why I'm going with an unadorned, plain, drab look. And I spend some time cutting and/or filing some of those decorative bits from other figures.

But the coffin shield may be one of my few indulgences. :) Besides, I like the proportions (maybe a bit larger, though) and it does sort of look like a cut-down kite shield.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2015, 05:00:15 PM »

Was thinking about the "undead aesthetics" more last night. I don't remember if it was in this thread, or another forum I post in, but I had at one point come up with a concept for what I would do if I was some sort of Lord of the Undead. I would paint all of my skeletons and all of the their equipment black, and then I would attack at night, silent other than the rattling of bones and armour. That should make use of the advantage of the undead troops in ways that the living wouldn't normally consider.

So I guess one could take that in other directions. Some real life cultures have been known to "accessorize" in a manner meant to intimidate their enemies. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking about samurai & Aztecs. Maybe that's the thinking behind the skulls & bats & such? I don't think that's what I would do, but I'm not sure I would put on a feather suit to make myself look like a purple jaguar or whatever, either. Such is my cultural and aesthetic preference. ;)

Now that I'm going, I can think of some other ideas. Tar coated flaming skeletons? (Skeletorches?) Wrapped in razor wire? Maybe they're skirmishing with razor wire strung between them. At night, in advance of the main force.

I think the existing Lords of the Undead need to think outside the box a little more.

Hell, tie a rabid wolverine to every skeleton's chest...

But, yeah, I would pass on the decorative bat wings & crap.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Goblins?!)
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2015, 05:57:16 AM »
And now for something completely different...

I came across these while digging around. They were all painted, but half needed the bases finished. One of those long abandoned projects. There's actually more of these, still unpainted, as well as some of the little guys that came with some of the Foundry great orc mercenaries. I had planned on lumping them all together as "lesser goblins." No idea what I will do with them right now. I just felt like it gave me a sense of accomplishment to finish the bases. :)

Apologies for the poor photo quality.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
Very nice :)

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »
Nice, are some of those snotlings?
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »
Lesser Goblins has a nice ring to it; Snotlings always sounded like an ethnic slur. Be that as it may, the Little Green Guys look WONDERFUL. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »
Fair enough about the coffin shield. :) Though for intimidation of enemies I personally still stick by 'a collection of dry bones clattering together and moving about in mockery of a past life'. lol For the most part, anyway. I think you're onto something, especially with the flaming tar-coated skeleton. Reminds of this, which would really put the willies up me.

Nice collection of gobbos! Well done. Where are they from?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2015, 08:55:10 PM »

A Legendary Hero...

...Riding a Noble Steed...

...Wielding an Ancient Hammer...

Coming soon...

;D