Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:55:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space 1889 - sky galleons of Mars - Fleets review and flypast (in 1/600 scale)  (Read 19737 times)

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
Yes, in the early years when we first made them we often had games with maybe half dozen ships each weekly, and occasionally campaigns lasting months or so. But as the years pass and other projects and periods appear they were played less often. So now I get them out only once a year or so.  They have survived quite well considering the older ones are pushing 20 years old and they are just stored in a heap in the box.
 My own rules have persevered for 10 or so years and still haven't been bettered (I'm told) though I have tried on occasion. They were a version of my spaceship rules which have also lasted.  I did a projection of this 1889 background forward I nto the Edwardian period for my spaceships and for a while they took over (spacefleet 1899) though they too had their day. Such is the way with wargamers.   Sometime I may post the Edwardian ether space fleets too, though not sure this forum is quite appropriate  (There are even more of them  o_o)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Again, have to say they'll 'fly' here. Leviathans would fall to a similar restriction, save a) no other thread would be more specific, b) we're VSF'ers, we'd 'adjust' them to being created by before-their-time mad scientists...  :D

Again, not asking for the actual rules, but could you give an idea of what you're using? Compare or contrast is usually good, and easy. 'I tried Aeronef, but wanted altitude bands...' gave me a lot of information in another thread.

Doug

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
Truly impressive!  :o  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
The rules I use have a pretty unique damage system which was inspired by actual damage recording methods on real warships, where the outline of the ship is divided into 'compartments' and they are marked graphically with damage which occurs.  Not exactly like other rules where you cross off rows of boxes or count down points. So it is not comparable to any other rules I can think of.  The moving and shooting parts are basic usual stuff but the overall aim is simplicity and it just manages that.  Ironically, it wouldn't be good for really big fleet battles though, any system with record keeping is probably not best suited for really big battles in a short time.
As I mentioned before, height bands are fascinating as an idea but a bit duff and dull in actuality, if you like to avoid each other's ships in a game and drag it out as long as possible it's just the ticket though.
There is a set of rules out there for every wargamer, it's finding the ones you like that's the problem, and if you can't then making your own can be a satisfying and frustrating experience everyone should have a go at. Give it a try!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Thanks so much!

Our intrepid band is all about fiddling with rules, though more from fuzzy memory than adventurous experimentation...  lol

I have a vision of the diagrams of shot damage in some of my books, especially of Jutland. Sounds fascinating, and way more involved than I'd go for, and my beloved Full Thrust has it's slowest part when assigning damage to systems.

That part in Aeronef is quite simple and quick.

Avoidance could well be a problem altitude restrictions, now that I cogitate, but as with so many other things, might be ameliorated by scenario requirements.

'Sure, you're safe; safely ineffective and the loser.'  ;)

Doug

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
Here are a few more shots of the bigger ships, the airships are my own personal favourites but most of the detail is underneath.
The last pic is the Russian 1889 Black sea fleet with a small flyer on patrol, ships are 1/600 scale too.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
They are a visual treat. Thanks for posting.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Truly eye candy! Continued stunning colors on the digs!

Just have to ask: Did any Star Wars toys lose their lives in the production of the Duke of York?

Doug

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
thanks for the kind comments, there arent any toy or kit parts on duke of York, it's all foam and cardboard with cocktail sticks for masts and struts.   The Brittanic was based on a paper cut out model of the R100 with extra superstructure added.
The airships are mostly foam too, although 'speiss' is folded paper (the buff coloured rigid) and 'Tissandier' is rolled card with conical ends (the big blue semi rigid).
The teeny airship is 'nulli secundus' the first British military dirigible and I think it's cute, Though not much use militarily.   The 120 gun 'sky galleon of the line' (Nelsaan) is a design I made from my own drawings, I can post the drawings too (if anyone is interested)
Anyway, if I've inspired anyone else to go make their own models then I'd be very pleased.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
...there arent any toy or kit parts on duke of York, it's all foam and cardboard with cocktail sticks for masts and struts...

Good man! I've some Micro Machines SW Desert Skiffs with the fore section looking rather like your work. Did START a conversion...

Quote from: Ironclad Paul
Anyway, if I've inspired anyone else to go make their own models then I'd be very pleased.

I've no need for inspiration; you may succeed in shaming me into finishing something, though...  ::)

Now, about the Aerial Depot made from a 1/1200 inverted WWII carrier...

Doug

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
Space 1889 is great.  I love your vessels.  The black and white striped one takes my breath away.  Very well done!
This is my boomstick!

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
Thanks, The black and white stripey ship was my attempt at a sailing 'ship of the line' and was based upon these drawings I did below (to get my head around the design)
Of course it was made for GDW 'cloudships and gunboats' rules and I think had a hull size of 60 with 32 rod guns, 80 heavy guns and 8 light guns. and an armour value of 2, which means that it would very quickly swat any combined fleets of smaller ships of equal build points, that was a slight failing of the build system, size did matter but if you didnt build these monsters you would never know.   anyway I had fun doing the drawing and then building the model, there was a sister ship which never got finished and if you look in the storage box picture you'll see her unfinished sister, just carved foam and cocktail sticks with lines drawn on,  These models are quite rough when you get microscopically close but I was never that bothered as I just wanted to make and play, quality always came second to quantity and having fun of course (there isnt enough time to do everything I want to do, so something has to slip).    storing them in boxes can be fun in itself and here are a few 'boxed' pics as to my mind you rarely get to see where they spend most of their lives and everyone boxes things differently, in my experience.

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
A very impressive collection of scratch builds. If only these were available commercially I'd soon be parting with cash. Especially with that british heavy ship, she's a must have.

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
Great collection. Thanks for sharing.
Post some pics of your games if you have some.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
Here are a few pics from 2013 of a small campaign run at Barrow in Furness wargames club. it a was fun and I 'slid' up the damage effects so battles were very quick. it means you can have many battles in a night and whip through a campaign.
incidentally, the campaign system I use for 1889 comes from 'space 1889 empires' a module for the 'warp empires' generic system. this was available free on the 'warpspawn' games website. (sorry havnt learned how to insert links yet..will learn)  though of course I used my own tactical rules.

The pictures were taken by 'Tel' who played in the campaign and has his own games blog of most of the games he plays in at the club, full write up on the site 'Tels kingdom'  www.telskingdom.co.uk  (Thank Tel, great pics and fun write-ups, as always)