Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:49:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LPL Season 9 Rules - vote share bonus points rule amend (item 10a), 20 April  (Read 79975 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Lead Adventure Forum proudly presents the Lead Painters’ League 9

This year, the Lead Painters' League will be held for the ninth time.

The rules are exactly the same as for season eight - so I’m hoping there shouldn’t be too many queries and questions :)

The basic rule remains: paint 5 figures as a team, take a pic, resize the pic to a maximum of 800x800 pixels and send it in.

In more detail…

Lead Painters’ League 9 (LPL9) Rules

1. Duration

The Lead Painters' League is held once a year, consisting of 10 rounds, with each round taking one week of real time.

2. Number of Participants

The maximum number of participants is 50.

3. Entry Requirements

To take part in the league, you must submit three new teams (to be featured in the first three rounds) by a specified deadline. See below for the league season's deadlines.
Participation is on a first-come, first-served basis - the first 50 people to submit three painted teams will take part in the league.

- You may not enter your LPL9 registration pictures before Friday 27th March 2015, 19.00 (7 pm) GMT. Entries sent before this date and time won't be accepted.
   - The final deadline for entries is Friday 10th April 2015, 12.00 noon GMT. Remember, you must submit THREE teams by this date.
   - You MUST specify which of these THREE teams is to participate in the first round, which in the second round, and which in the third.

4. Teams

A ‘team’ consists of 5 or more fully-painted miniatures or models in any scale up to 40mm.

A ‘new team’ is a set of painted figures, photos of which have NOT previously been published ANYWHERE on the Internet (this only applies to the miniatures in their painted state, of course).

All figures or models must be on finished bases, which may be textured, decorated, painted (with a pattern or in a solid, finished single colour) or consist of clear plastic (such as "flying" bases or clear acrylic/perspex shapes).

The figures must form a plausible ‘team’ by following a common theme AND being ‘on the same side’ - thus, for example, 2 Vampires and 3 Witch Hunters do NOT form a legal team, whereas 5 Woodland Indians do.

A miniature mounted on a steed of any kind (horse, lizard, warg, pig, motorcycle, squig or space hopper) counts as a single figure.
Larger beasts or vehicles, such as elephants and trucks, count as a single figure with their mahouts or drivers; any extra figures such as howdah fighting crew and passengers count as separate, additional figures.

5. Team Photographs

You should submit a single photograph of the figures in the team, which may NOT be a collage or composite of individual images.

The maximum image dimensions are 800 pixels wide by 800 pixels high.
The maximum file size is 500kb (due to technical limitations, and to reduce loading time for slower internet connections).

You may NOT use any kind of digital manipulation except for basic image correction to white balance, colour balance, sharpness, brightness and contrast.

The following modifications are expressly FORBIDDEN:
•   Any text
•   Any special effect (e.g. glow effects, artificial shadows, coloured outlines)
•   Additional close-ups
•   Alternative viewing angles
•   Digitally-added background imagery
•   Digital removal of base edges, addition of smoke, flames, etc
•   Any kind of frames

The above list is NOT comprehensive.
In short, any modification that goes beyond making the picture representative of the actual figures (see above) is not allowed.

6. Photography Backgrounds

Your backdrop may only be a single colour, a gradient, or a scenery setting including terrain pieces. Note that the backdrop must be in the photo from the start (i.e. you must photograph the figures in front of it). You may not digitally add or paint in a background image at a later point.

7. Submitting Photographs

When submitting photographs, the following details must be supplied in the text body of the e-mail:
•   Team Name: to a maximum length of 30 characters (including additional information such as "decals used" or "xx mm scale").
•   Member Name: even if it is for the last round of the league, always remember to add your forum username to ease administration and avoid mix-ups.
•   Declare if the team is new – i.e. previously unpublished (see 3. above).

To help us with administration, please also put your user name, team name and intended round in the mail header  (e.g. "SamSamplename Crusader_Cavalry  Round 2" and, if possible, in the file name (e.g. "SamSamplename_crusader_cavalry_rd2.jpg"). This is useful for keeping track, especially for a larger number of participants. Further details as specified under 7.a. need only be put in the text body.

Matches

8. Match pairings

In each round, participants' teams will be paired off in one topic for each match. LAF members may vote for either of the two teams. Each LAF member has a single vote on each and every match.

9. Winning, drawing and losing

If the vote difference is 11 votes or more, the team with the higher number of votes is declared the winner and receives 30 match points. The team with the lower number of votes is the loser and receives 10 match points.

If the vote difference is 10 votes or less, the match counts as a draw and both teams are awarded 20 match points.

10a. Vote share bonus points

1. Both contestants' total vote scores are added to determine the total vote score.
2. Next, each contestants individual score is divided by the total vote score to determine their share.
3. Each contestant receives 1 vote point for every ten percent of the total vote score.
4. For fractions of ten percent, the lower score is rounded up to the next full ten, the higher score is rounded down. This means that unless a contestant receives zero votes, the minimum score is always 1, the maximum score is always 9.

Example: If, in a match, 500 votes were cast, of which 400 were in favour of contestant A and 100 in contestant B, contestant A receives 8 vote points (80%) whereas contestant B receives 2 vote points (20%).

If contestant A received 370 votes (74%) whereas contestant B receives 130 (26%), contestant B's vote points are rounded up from 2.6 to 3.

We consider this to be a fairer representation of the voters' favour than the previous system based on the actual number of votes, since it does not penalise matches with low total vote scores.

10b. Newly painted team bonus points

In rounds 4 through 10, any new (i.e. unpublished, cf. 3 above) team will receive 10 points the first time it participates. Older, previously published teams may also be submitted to participate, but will not receive this ‘new team’ bonus.

11. Themed bonus rounds

Rounds 1, 5 and 10 are bonus rounds featuring a specific theme. See below for the specific themes of this year's season.
In these rounds, if you submit a new team for a bonus round that matches the bonus round's theme, your team receives an extra theme round bonus as specified below (in addition to the 10 point ‘new team’ bonus).

This year, the specific bonus themes are:

Round 1 - Armour

A team comprising figures that are all demonstrably fully or partially wearing some prominent form of BODY ARMOUR (i.e. Not just a helmet). From ancient, medieval, renaissance and fantasy subjects in plate or mail, through to sci-fi and modern subjects in power armour or kevlar.
Paint a team of at least 5 figures all in full or partial body armour and get 10 extra theme bonus points.

Round 5 - Animals

A team comprising (or including) five animals, real or imaginary EXCEPT horses. So dogs, wolves, camels, elephants, apes, wargs, dragons, mumakil, fell beasts, dinosaurs - anything you like providing they are not humanoid (or humanoid style aliens) or horses.
Paint a team of at least 5 animals and get 10 extra theme bonus points.
Paint a team of at least 5 animals AND 5 accompanying riders / handlers / herders / crew and get 15 extra theme bonus points.
(Please note this extra theme bonus for riders / handlers AND their animals, is an exception to the usual rule about a rider and mount counting as one figure)

Round 10 – Women

Paint a team of 5 or more female figures and gain 10 bonus points. Paint a team of 5 or more female figures AND an accompanying 'big thing' (e.g. a vehicle, large animal or creature, ship, siege engine or structure, aeroplane, armoured fighting vehicle, spacecraft) and gain 20 bonus points.

12. Unfair Means

During any round in which a team is participating in a match, you may NOT post images of that team elsewhere on the internet, nor ask other people to vote in your favour. This would constitute unsporting and ungentlemanly conduct.

13. Bonus Awards Points

The following bonus points are available during Season 9:

Round 1  - 10 pts theme bonus: ‘Armour’
Round 2  - no bonus
Round 3  - no bonus
Round 4  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 5  - 10 pts new bonus, 10/15 pts theme bonus: ‘Animals’
Round 6  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 7  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 8  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 9  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 10 - 10 pts new bonus, 10/20 pts theme bonus: ‘Women’

14. The Championship Title

After the final round of the league (round 10), the winner will be the participant who collected the greatest number of league points. Should two participants have scored an equal number of league points, we will hold ‘paint-offs’ - but probably this will not be necessary.

The three highest placed participants will be awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze medals shown on their LAF account and post info.

To this end, we have some newly minted LPL medals, created by Dr Mathias. The seven-sided design represents the seven seas that connect the worldwide community of Lead Adventurers. The relevant medals will also be added to the profiles of all previous LPL winners and runners-up.

15. Timings, Registration and Deadlines

The first round of LPL9 will start on Sunday 12th April, 2015.

Entries to any round must be received by 12.00 GMT on the Friday before the next round opens on the Sunday.

Which means that you have until 12.00 GMT on Friday 10th April to get your first three teams in at
lpl@leadadventureforum.com

The round entry deadlines for LPL9 will be as follows:

Round 1  - Friday 10th April
Round 2  - Friday 10th April
Round 3  - Friday 10th April
Round 4  - Friday 1st May
Round 5  - Friday 8th May
Round 6  - Friday 15th May
Round 7  - Friday 22nd May
Round 8  - Friday 29th May
Round 9  - Friday 5th June
Round 10 – Friday 12th June

PLEASE USE THIS RULES THREAD ONLY FOR QUESTIONS OR CLARIFICATIONS ON THE RULES.
FOR GENERAL COMMENT ON LPL9, PLEASE USE THE GENERAL LPL9 THREAD: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=76116.0
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:00:12 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
  • "Me and _my_ army! Kachunga!"
Re: LPL Season 9 Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:20:25 PM »
Think I get the gist of it.

"Thunderbirds are go!" :)

Cheers,
Fred

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »
Great to see this getting off the Ground once again.  I'm not sure I can participate this year but even if I don't it will be FUN to watch.

Thanks to you and your team for making happen again.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 07:26:16 AM »
To take part in the league, you must submit three new teams (to be featured in the first three rounds) by a specified deadline. See below for the league season's deadlines.
Participation is on a first-come, first-served basis - the first 50 people to submit three painted teams will take part in the league.

- You may not enter your LPL9 registration pictures before Friday 27th March 2015, 19.00 pm GMT. Entries sent before this date and time won't be accepted.
   - The final deadline for entries is Friday 10th April 2015, 12.00 noon GMT. Remember, you must submit THREE teams by this date.

For anyone wondering what 1900 GMT March 27th is in their local time, I recommend the following excellent web resource: Time Zone Converter

That's 1200 (noon) on March 27th here in Pacific Daylight Time, for example. I'll have to have my photos ready the night before and email them to myself at work so I can send my entries in on my lunch hour, I guess.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:32:09 AM »
That's 1200 (noon) on March 27th here in Pacific Daylight Time, for example. I'll have to have my photos ready the night before and email them to myself at work so I can send my entries in on my lunch hour, I guess.

Note that you have a window of 13.7 days to submit your registration. While it is helpful for all involved to have your registration entries ready once the window opens, experience shows that it usually takes a couple of days to fill up (of course, it could all be different this year and all the slots will be taken by 7.15pm! ;)).

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
Also worth pointing out that none of the last three LPLs actually filled up completely.
There were only 40 participants in LPL8, 30 in LPL7 and 46 in LPL6.
It was the last LPL which I ran (LPL5) which had 76 competitors! (Boy, that was a lot of admin!)

So it seems probable (but not impossible) that we may not fill all 50 places by the final deadline this time either - in which case I suspect there is no tearing hurry to get your entry in by 27th March - you can probably take the extra week or two and still be reasonably secure of booking your slot.

But... There is always the risk we will be miraculously swamped with competitors this time, so it's up to you how you play it :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »
Dear would-be participants...

I have had a couple of enquiries on this point, so worth repeating / clarifying it:

To take part in the league, you need to submit three NEW teams by the deadline.

A ‘new team’ is a set of painted figures, photos of which have NOT previously been published ANYWHERE on the Internet.

The reason why there are no 'new team' bonus points available for Rounds 1 - 3 is not because they don't have to be new teams. But because everybody has to paint and submit three new teams to be eligible to take part.
Which makes awarding 'new team' bonus points for those first three rounds a bit pointless - because all the teams in the first three rounds will, de facto, be new teams!

Hope that makes sense and helps clarify  :)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »
full armour, horses, chicks ... got it.

Need to get my digi-cam running or a new one ... and quick. Thanks for organizing it again. Hope I can be a part of it this year!

best wishes
DK
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »
full armour, horses, chicks ... got it.

Actually, full or partial armour, any animals but horses, and chicks  :)
Apart from that - spot on  ;)
Look forward to your entries.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 07:05:53 PM »
This part of the rules should be corrected: "The first round of LPL9 will start on Easter Sunday 12th April, 2015."

Easter Sunday is the 5th April! So the LPL9 will start on the 12th April, 2015, but AFTER Easter!

Just to avoid confusion ...  o_o

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
A very good point, Michael, thank you.
We were originally going to start a week earlier, which would have been Easter Sunday - but decided to give evryone a bit more time :)
I shall correct it.

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 05:50:03 AM »
Captain

Couldn't see the e-mail address (probably I've gone blind) - Have sent it to same as last year - lpl@leadadventureforum.com

Is this correct?

Thanks

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »
Look again - it's in big bold letters lol
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 07:31:48 AM »
I said I was going blind - too much time painting  :D

Reckon if I went to Hollywood I'd miss the sign on the hill  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 07:35:59 AM »
So a "big think" is not necessarily a big woman?