Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690760
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using an ultrasonic cleaner to strip miniatures  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Using an ultrasonic cleaner to strip miniatures
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
As it says on the tin ;)

I have one and I'm currently in the process of trying it out. Will post pictures in a bit, looking positive though...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Using an ultrasonic cleaner to strip miniatures
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
Interesting...
:)

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 12:54:52 PM »
Ooh, that sounds unnecessarily and excitingly high tech, I eagerly await pics!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »
What type of sonic cleaner are you using? And are you using any particular medium?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 02:41:58 PM »
Well, I declare this a success!

Today the postman was kind enough to deliver me some figures that I had bought on Facebook. They were partially painted and the glue was giving up, definitely candidates for stripping. Given I was home alone with the kids today I decided to experiment. I have an ultrasonic cleaner to use for my airbrush, if you use an airbrush and don't own one, go and buy one! It makes keeping the needles etc clean, incredibly easy. Plenty of reviews etc out there for the so I won't go into too much detail.

For anyone who doesn't know, an ultrasonic cleaner is essentially a water bath that has sonic 'Waves' pulsing through it. These waves cause tiny bubbles to form on the surfaces of any object placed in the bath, as they pop they remove dirt etc from the surface. I mentioned using it instead of a toothbrush during paint stripping to a friend the other day and he tried it. Got some shiny figures after 2hrs in the cleaner and no scrubbing required. I thought I'd go a step further though...

Changing the water in these things is a bit of a pain as no one seemed to realise that getting the water out would be far easier if there was a spout... Or if the plug disconnected... Preferably both! However I reasoned that as the cleaning process uses sonic waves it should be possible to put a jar in with a matching water level and still get the cleaning effect. Which means you should be able to put the figures in with cleaning fluid...

So I tried it. The glass ramekin has today's test liquid: Dettol. No soaking overnight etc, just straight into the liquid and into the cleaner.

The photo was taken about half way through so the Dettol has discoloured with the paint. As a control element I have put the same number of figures in another ramekin of Dettol and left it to soak.

So after about 50mins in the cleaner I took them out to check progress (okay I peaked earlier too). This was the result.

As you can see, most of the paint is gone already and I suspect I could have taken a toothbrush to them at this point and finished them off but that wasn't the point. One thing I did notice at this point is the glue that had been in the figures kept it's paint colour. Made it easy to spot and flick off with a blade though. Back in they went!

After another 40mins I decided to stop and finish the test. An hour and a half seemed like a good length of time and far quicker than normal.

Pretty damned clean. Something I should point out here is that I got a bit carried away and used some water to start cleaning the Dettol off. Anyone who has used Dettol as a stripper knows this is fatal to the process as it combines with the Dettol and acrylic to create a horrible gloop that is nearly impossible to remove. This didn't occur... However I wasn't going to take chances and quickly switched to very soapy water to continue.

Here is a close up of an arm to show the paint is gone after a rinse in the water, no scrubbing.

And here is a tiny bit of paint caught in the back crease.

Which came out with the flick of a cocktail stick, no effort required.

This figure was the 'worst' for having paint still on it.

And after passing a toothbrush over it a couple of times gently...

The colour in the belt is a bubble not paint.

So as you can see, after an hour and a half and practically no effort I have some shiny new figures!

But what about the control pot I hear you ask?

This was after the same amount of time and a proper scrub with a brush. It also started to turn into the dreaded gloop so I popped it back in the Dettol. I shall run them through the cleaner later.

If I get the chance tomorrow I shall try the same process with fairy power cleaner.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »
What type of sonic cleaner are you using? And are you using any particular medium?

Mine is a VGT-1000, nothing fancy, similar machines can be picked up for about £30. The only reason I got that one is because you can alter the timer, a lot of them cut off automatically after 3mins.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
Most impressive!
 8)

I think that I now NEED one of those myself.
 :D

Great tip.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 04:33:35 PM »
Blimey, that's good. I have a cheapo sonic cleaner myself, for the same purpose, but only got semi-decent results after soaking, scrubbing and rinsing. Didn't occur to me to put the whole jar in. I'm gonna have to try that now. :)

Any primer on them, or just a regular paint undercoat?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:20:27 PM »
Quite a thick black primer, looks like the GW one. The green armour and flesh paint were definitely GW (and came of really quickly).

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:56:34 AM »
Wow, the figures are very clean. Thanks for sharing. Now I am tempted to get an ultrasonic cleaner. It would be nice to not have to stand over the sink scrubbing at figures for s while with a tooth brush after a week in the purple power.
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 03:19:01 AM »
How about plastic minis (or metal minis with plastic parts, you know what I mean  ::)  )?

Am very tempted to get one of those.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 09:28:53 AM »
I will give plastics a try later. Should work fine, but we'll find out.

Didn't get the time to try again yesterday but I now have it running with Saturday's control pot in it. So they have now been in soak for about 48 hours, let's see how short a run through the cleaner I can get away with.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
Okay, so I put the pot of Dettol into the cleaner and ran it for 30mins. A gentle scrub later and most of the paint is off. I've put them back in with plain water to see how it goes. Soaking them helped and had I left them in for an hour they would probably be as good as the last lot. However the other set were only in for an hour and a half and didn't wait two days before going in...

You can draw your own conclusions there.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »
So this is the second lot after another 16mins in the cleaner. They're fine but others were better and shows I am now spoilt as I would have been perfectly happy with this result previously ;)

Here's a good close up to show how the glue still retains colour.

And another to show how it can be used to find glue you didn't know was there prior to stripping :)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
That's a lot of glue!

Argonor: Not to hijack the topic, but I've had some odd trouble removing paint from some plastic models. Even after separate attempts with dettol, fairy power spray and isopropyl, there are some thin (and sometimes thick) patches of paint (or primer?) that turn slightly powdery rather than gloopy, but still cling to the plastic fairly well. I still need to get some fresh stripper to try 'em out in my own cleaner. I'll be interested to see how DBK gets on with it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:49:36 AM by Vermis »