Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 03:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HELPS-One 15mm terrain  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
HELPS-One 15mm terrain
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »
This is for my Harmony sci-fi setting, and built for The Guild's 2015 group build.

As the colony developed, the early jury rigged power sources were supplemented by purpose built plants. The Harmony Electrical Light and Power Supply (HELPS) was (and is) a major provider of electrical and water to the colony. It utilised a number of different technologies to do so, including wind, hydro and geothermal power, often ingeniously combined into a single facility.

HELPS-One was the prototype of a series of very successful plants.

The design uses the highly efficient OKI compact wind turbine, which acts firstly as a generator but also as a pump, to bring water up from artesian wells to an elevated  reservoir.

The water is stored until required, if for example the wind drops or there is high demand. It is then released back into the bore, turning the generator in the base of the power. Where the geology is suitable, a geothermal  module produces additional power from the hot artesian water.

The plant is modular and due to the compact design the towers can be found in many parts of Harmony. 

HELPS-One is to be found on the outskirts of Harmony city itself, protected from roaming wildlife by a sturdy prefabricated wall, and similar plants are a common sight around Harmony's larger settlements.

Various ancillary buildings can be found within the compounds but the basic tower is a self contained unit, requiring only an artesian bore.

Mechanical assistance proves very helpful.

Although thes plant are autonomous, they do require maintenance from time to time, with crews being a mixture of humans and 'droids.

Being a frontier planet, O, H & S standards aren't as rigorously enforced as on the Core Worlds.....

Walls, windmills and 'turbine' all 6mm from Angel Barracks, control building is 15mm from Brigade Models, the towers are (unused!) sputum pots. Figures and vehicles are from a range of sources and have been seen before.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: HELPS-One 15mm terrain
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »
Very nice. Tough I for a second assumed you used some sort of kitchen appliance for the towers and turbines.  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
Interesting use of 6mm terrain items for 15mm; I've not looked at Angel Barracks before but you've prompted me to investigate the possibilities.

Also, do you know which company makes the mechanical lifter?

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »
Interesting use of 6mm terrain items for 15mm; I've not looked at Angel Barracks before but you've prompted me to investigate the possibilities.

Also, do you know which company makes the mechanical lifter?

The company that shall not be named (Khurusan).  ::) It's the civilian version.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 03:56:04 AM »
I love those towers! I also use Angel Barracks walls for 15mm, they work great.
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com