Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:08:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690915
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 641
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Toughest Girls in the Galaxy 2: Light and Darkness  (Read 4583 times)

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
Re: The Toughest Girls in the Galaxy 2: Light and Darkness
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
Mine are 7,8,9, I missed the losing interest in sex phase apparently. ;)
Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »
I've got three kids myself (11, 13, 16) but I don't think this should directly affect my tastes in minis  :-I. This being said, these minis may be sexualised but I don't find them sexy.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »
I find it a bit depressing how little creativity there is in these derivative ventures (this one, Mantic, Shieldword and the likes).  Is there really nothing left to explore outside GW dark elves and sister of battles on steroids, ORKKKs with even more Ks, white lions or poorly proportioned space skaven?

Agreed, very much.

I've got three kids myself (11, 13, 16) but I don't think this should directly affect my tastes in minis

Also agreed. If wargaming minis are tickling someone's, er, fancy, the number of kids is a lesser concern in the matter. :-I

;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:31:18 PM by Vermis »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
I personally don't mind the (over-) sexualisation.  I'm more puzzled by the silliness and lack of imagination.

I find it a bit depressing how little creativity there is in these derivative ventures (this one, Mantic, Shieldword and the likes).  Is there really nothing left to explore outside GW dark elves and sister of battles on steroids, ORKKKs with even more Ks, white lions or poorly proportioned space skaven?

Given the success of some of these projects, I must be in a minority in thinking that novel concepts and aesthetics would be welcome. It is probably a good thing I'm not  making a living in marketing.

Yes! The sculptor clearly has some skill, (though as Gibby rightly points out the poses are, well, posed - they're not natural and are actually sort of painful to look at), so it's a shame to see it wasted in service of something so unimaginative and tawdry.

"I guess ex sells, eh boys? Slap a pair of tits on a pile of screaming skullz and call it a day, hur hur hur."

Presumably Bolt Thrower, right?

lol lol lol  Perfect!

these minis may be sexualised but I don't find them sexy.

Exactly. It's like the worst of all possible worlds.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:33:22 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 11:27:30 PM »
It must be quite difficult for a company that wants to deal in fantasy to come up with something that is unique. GW have been doing it for 30(?) years and have pretty much explored/exploited all the fantasy tropes, so it's hard to bring something new to the arena. While I agree that many companies produce similar to GW products, I reckon that's inevitable. First to market are almost bound to use up all the ideas, it's difficult to follow that and be unique. Unless they invent their own races, as per Warmachine/Hordes/Malifaux, which then becomes an acquired taste. So in some ways, though you can say that they are ripping off dark elves, it's not their fault they have some late to the market. What they are producing is down to personal taste, I rate the sculpts, I quite like the concepts, they are no more ridiculous than GW's current stuff, which gets more and more OTT with each release. 

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »
I find the minions to be quite spiffy, but the rest are just not my cuppa.