Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:47:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jack The Ripper Exhibition  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Jack The Ripper Exhibition
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
I went yesterday to see the Jack The Ripper exhibition at the Museum in Docklands, London.

Well worth a visit if you are interested in this period, particularly for period photos of London and its inhabitants at the turn of the century. There are also some great copies of period maps of the city to buy as well.

The exhibition runs until the 2nd of November and costs £7 for entry.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Jack The Ripper Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »
Did they let slip who done it then?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »
Did they let slip who done it then?

Yeah, it was that chap in the top hat and cloak they keep showing on the cover of all the books on the subject. ;)

I have no idea where the popular image of The Ripper wearing the top hat, cloak etc originated. Look at any 28mm figure, or book cover, or film and they show him dressed this way and its become the accepted look.
None of the contemporary pictures from the time show him dressed as a gent off to the opera. Presumably we have the motion picture/Hollywood to thank for this.
Anyone know?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:11:28 PM by Malamute »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:36:10 AM »
According to the ecidences the murderer should know anatomy very well. thus the popular idea was that jack was a surgeon, so usually dressed as gentleman.

another theory claims that the murderer was queen victoria's grandson, if I remember well the duke of Clarence.

therefore the image of the well clothed murdere is an obvious result. Maybe it is vice versa, i.e. since he was a gentleman clothed person with knowledge on anatomy or cutting, the above theories may appeared.

hollywood made use of all theories and produced several filmsm with average and good results. for me, useful to catch the feel of the period.

further to the above, some time ago I bought the book called:
"A Samba fo Sherlock Holms" by brazilian author Jo Soares [I have it translated in Greek, since my portugese/lusitanian are minimum, starting with "bon dia" and ending to "obligadu" or something]. The theory there was that the catasiroa killer  was a member of the good society of Rio who made 5 killings in the streets of Rio and then moved to London.

A good book for reading sporting: Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Dom Pedro II, Sarah Bernhard, and lots of other characters with hilarious results in various exotic settings. If you can find it in your language is worth reading it!   
argsilverson

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:45:21 AM »
This one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samba-Sherlock-Jo-Soares/dp/0375400656/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223027010&sr=8-1

Thanks for the heads -up, I love non-canon Holmes books, and I will probably pick this one up at some point.  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
According to the ecidences the murderer should know anatomy very well. thus the popular idea was that jack was a surgeon, so usually dressed as gentleman.

another theory claims that the murderer was queen victoria's grandson, if I remember well the duke of Clarence.

therefore the image of the well clothed murdere is an obvious result. Maybe it is vice versa, i.e. since he was a gentleman clothed person with knowledge on anatomy or cutting, the above theories may appeared.

hollywood made use of all theories and produced several filmsm with average and good results. for me, useful to catch the feel of the period.

Good points, It was also thought he could be a butcher, one of the prime suspects was a butcher, I forget his name.
 The theories about the Duke of Clarence and the Royal surgeon have now been dismissed. All fascinating stuff. Its probably part of the enduring mystery that we will never categorically know who it was. ;)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
This one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samba-Sherlock-Jo-Soares/dp/0375400656/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223027010&sr=8-1

Thanks for the heads -up, I love non-canon Holmes books, and I will probably pick this one up at some point.  :)

exactly,
Try it and let me know what you think [by the way mine costed more than the low price indicated]

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 10:53:54 AM »

Good points, It was also thought he could be a butcher, one of the prime suspects was a butcher, I forget his name.
 The theories about the Duke of Clarence and the Royal surgeon have now been dismissed. All fascinating stuff. Its probably part of the enduring mystery that we will never categorically know who it was. ;)

Sorry for some mistakes: evidence.

Some few years ago, [say 5, but no trace of link or where I got] a new book appeared. the writer give quite a good essay supporting with new evidence that the actual killer was Duke of Clarence, who disappeared almost immediately after the last kill.

"Royal surgeon" was it from film "From Hell" or other, I mixed them up.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:57:27 AM by argsilverson »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »
The Royal surgeon was Sir william Gull.He was also believed to be one of the suspects. You are right it was the basis of "From Hell" involving the Masons etc.

The Duke of Clarence has been vindicated now as he was proven to have not been in London around the time.

Interestingly the Ripper is always associated with just five murders during august - sept 1888. (I think from memory). In fact eleven murders in total were investigated by the police and these date from early 1888 until 1891. They may, or may not have been the same murderer as they showed very similar methods.

All fascinating but still lurid stuff. ;)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
An interesting link on Jack the RipperQ

http://www.casebook.org/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »
Ooh yes, thanks for that link, lots of interesting stuff there. Some great photos and illustrations of Old London ;D

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
In the meantime I found another link.
This time is "The Illustrated London News" library.

http://www.ilnpictures.co.uk/showproducts.asp?search=Jack+the+Ripper&templateid=&LeftMenuSearchBox1%3AImageButton1.x=9&LeftMenuSearchBox1%3AImageButton1.y=3

It is interesting since when I searched for Jack the Ripper it returned 4 images.
One of them is the Duke of Clarence !!!!!

Dear Malamute,
I think this link is very interesting, not only to this topic, but also to the other boards like VSF, Colonial, WW1 etc. As a moderator, could you crosspost it there?

I have another interesting on Victorian London etc, mostly interesting articles.
Are you interested to post the link?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »
Anything else you have feel free to post it.   :)
All well worth adding to the other boards too.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 01:00:01 PM »
Thanks Malamute!