Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691082
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Fable Miniatures?  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Dark Fable Miniatures?
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:10:31 AM »
I've been looking at the Dark Fable miniatures to use with our Pulp Alley game, but I always have a harder time judging painted figures.

If you have purchased/painted any of the Dark Fable figures, I'd like to know what you think about their quality, size, and so on.  ;)

Thanks,

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: Dark Fable Miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »
I got a few figures from their indiegogo campaigns, mostly the guard-type figures.  The quality is great.  Nice sculpts, crisp castings with minimal flash.  I have not painted any yet, but they are in the queue  :D

Which ones were you considering?  What do you want to know regarding the size?  Did you see the stuff from the latest indiegogo campaign?  It should be on the webstore relatively soon. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/egyptian-miniatures-iv
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:32:51 AM »
I got a few figures from their indiegogo campaigns, mostly the guard-type figures.  The quality is great.  Nice sculpts, crisp castings with minimal flash.  I have not painted any yet, but they are in the queue  :D

Which ones were you considering?  What do you want to know regarding the size?  Did you see the stuff from the latest indiegogo campaign?  It should be on the webstore relatively soon. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/egyptian-miniatures-iv

Thanks Timbor. I think we'll order some packs and I'm glad to see they are expanding the line.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »
I have done some, but I have a lot more to do. I have got all of them on the indiegogo campaign.  the are great figures with lots of character. Clean and well sculpted and fun to paint.
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/2014/06/fantasy-egyptians.html
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »
Tim can you tell us with what manufacturer they size better?

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:22:58 PM »
I have backed all four campaigns and am extremely pleased with the figures. The first three are smaller than the others. IMO the others would size well with Bronze Age or Copplestone and probably Lucid Eye. Myself I have not been so concerned about such things once I realized none of the people I game with are the same size as me.  ;D And its not like more modern ranges where you might expect all M16s - for example - to be the same size even if the people are not. (The reason some people would not mix West Wind and the Assault Group, for example.)

The casting is superb, of course, coming as it does from Griffin. The sculptors are all top of the line. What is not to like?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:21:33 AM »
Tim can you tell us with what manufacturer they size better?

I can try and take a picture of some of the figures I have compared to some others.  Any specific manufacturers' figures you want me to put beside them?

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »
Well Tim, basically if you can take a picture with other manufacturers you have i think its helpfull for a lot of people.
Like Sir Barnaby says, we also game with other sized people but a comparative picture does no harm at all. :D

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 04:16:30 AM »
I will see what I can manage this week... life is pretty busy now that I have 3 kids!  o_o

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 04:46:37 AM »
We're planning to use them next to some of our own Pulp Alley miniatures as well as Copplestone, Artizan, and Pulp Figures.

Mila has been in contact with Mike and I'm really looking forward to getting some Dark Fable miniature into our Pulp Alley scenarios.

Offline chirine ba kal

• Bookworm
    • chirine's workbench
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 04:14:35 AM »
I've bought into all four campaigns, and I am extremely pleased with the figures. All have been very nicely sculpted, and very crisply cast; very clean, very easy to get ready for the paintbrush. My only (and very minor!) complaint is that the figures use slotta-style bases; I use Litko plywood ones, so I simply order the based with slots already cut into them.

Size-wise, they blend in just fine with both the 'true 25mm' vintage figures I have, and the current 28mm ones that I have. The figures do vary as to build and height, but that's just like real people do. The 'older' characters seem to be a bit taller and stockier then their 'younger' companions, and this makes for a very interesting variety on the game table - 'teenaged' serving girls really look like what they're supposed to be, especially standing next to the Crocodile Games "Aegyptus" figures, but this doesn't seem to be an issue for either my players or myself. I think that this may be due to our seeing so much Ancient Egyptian art, where the figures are scaled by their importance and status rather then by strict accuracy.

Quite a lot of the figures in the line, like the new mummy guards and nobles, would come in perfectly for Pulp games; you can even have your adventurers rescue the helpless heroine from the clutches of the long-dead High Priest!

I think these figures are great, and I am glad I got on board with the Indiegogo campaigns to hale make this line possible. Have a look at the Dark Fable website; I think you'll be pleased!